Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » What ive been up to at night! ( THERE BE PROGRESS!)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon14.gif  What ive been up to at night! ( THERE BE PROGRESS!) Tue, 10 May 2005 11:44 Go to next message
Well its been nearly 2 weeks of cold nights on the cement in the shed floor, but im finally seeing some progress on this frontmount swap

Thought id throw in a quick pic of where im up to - and proof that i am actually doing this conversion Wink

dont mind the PVC pipes - its just my jig that i made to get the right bands needed !

Stu!

http://home.iprimus.com.au/utahraptor/gt4_pics/corein2.jpg

[Updated on: Mon, 23 May 2005 12:06]

Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What ive been up to at night! Tue, 10 May 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ONE MEASELY PIC? IS THAT IT!!!

Razz Looks like some serious anti-rice there Stu! Mate looks awesome, congrats, and it's good to see that it actually is happenning Razz Glad I saved the ride you owed me till later huh Wink
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! Tue, 10 May 2005 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and the PVC jig - all hooked up bar for two underneath the radiator support

the path on intake side is now mostly metal - juts got to get a 45 ish degree section cut to lead into the inlet manifold

http://home.iprimus.com.au/utahraptor/Gt4_pics/thejig.jpg
CLEEKA
Regular

April 2005
Re: What ive been up to at night! Tue, 10 May 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm average,

nah i love it, Cool
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What ive been up to at night! Tue, 10 May 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm Pvc pipes are they up to the temps makes it look like a pool filter lol. Nice work though, intercooler looks nice behind the front bar.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! Tue, 10 May 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i repeateth! the PVC is just a jig - half the pipes are already in metal - the rest of the supplies should be here tomotrrow !

No pvc will be used in the working version of this Frontmount pipe setup , none , nada - ZIIIIPPOOOOO!!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What ive been up to at night! Tue, 10 May 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i realise that i'm not a moron but just looks funny to see PVC pipes in an engine bay. Notice it was said kind of sarcastically and as a joke.
I wouldn't think anyone would be dumb enough to actually use PVC pipes for real, although wouldn't put it past some morons.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! Tue, 10 May 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youd be surprised mate - i have seen at least 3 cars with PVC interwarmer pipes Smile if that was the case though - PVC being intercooler goodness - Id make a roaring trading in custom piping Wink

and no offence was taken - just a clarification Smile

MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! Tue, 10 May 2005 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had PVC running from the IC to the TB on the crown when it turned 281rwkw and 11.04@125...... Razz

PVC is absolutely fune for the pressure-it just depends on the temp-and the massive garrett IC i've got does the job.

Mind you-I only had it there to see if it would work. Smile Smile
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! Tue, 10 May 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we ran some PVC on my mates 1JZ ma61 from turbo outlet to plenumn. we called it the "magic pipe".

"ohnoes ive melted teh magic pipe"

Laughing
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: What ive been up to at night! Tue, 10 May 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what wrong with pvc many people use it , and even the factory cars come out with some sort of plastic intercooler pipes anyway whats the big deal as long as it doesnt melt its all good lolllll its easy to do and dont need to be beded and what not everything comes exactly the way we need it to be put in the car where as the steel bends need to be bent or bought prebent which will cost and arm and a leg anyway
plus u get reducer bends with the pvc pipes which u will need if ur fitting a hybrid cooler cause of the 3 inch inlets and oulet if u using the stainless u wuill need the reducers in silicong hose which will cost another arm and a leg , lolllllll
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: What ive been up to at night! Tue, 10 May 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i think PVC would actually be ok, but it looks kinda gay and people dont like taking chances. My mate has an r33 and i swear it has plastic IC piping.

Did you think of clocking the turbo Stu? Or was it too much hassle?

Looks good.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: What ive been up to at night! Tue, 10 May 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all u got to dois spray the thing black i suppose but yeah if u can find staikless , or alluminium pipes for cheap then i suppose use them with the cheap rubber joiners u can buy on ebay
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: What ive been up to at night! Wed, 11 May 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 22:40

youd be surprised mate - i have seen at least 3 cars with PVC interwarmer pipes Smile if that was the case though - PVC being intercooler goodness - Id make a roaring trading in custom piping Wink

and no offence was taken - just a clarification Smile

You wouldn't be thinking of a certain 2J Cressida would you? Very Happy

Also did you manage to squeeze the front mount in without removing the big metal bar that supports the bumper?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! Wed, 11 May 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toobs - the IC core fits without the removal of the middle support panel - the only issues with clearance i have was the middle bumper latch support that i did hack at a bit - and the power steering cooler thats now secured back with race spec cable ties Wink

i have to still make up stronger bottom brackets - though the top piece is a straight section of angle aluminuim , its strong enough and stiff enough to hold up the cooler without much dramas - i need to put some rubber vibration buffers between the core and bracket just to make sure alls 100% fine.. ATM everythings in just to get the clearances , mountings and angles right - im just about at the stage where things have to be welded up for me

and going by the amount of heat generated in a Gt4 engine bay - PVC wont last long ..

I live near a dairy supplies place - 2 meters of food grade stainless 2.5 inch pipe - 15 bucks - scrap offcuts of 2.5 and 2 inch mild steel - free - So far making the jig has been about 3 times more expensive than the purchase of all the metal piping needed

silicon bends were expensive but can be recycled into other projects

Cycleof: yes i had thought of clocking it - but didnt for 2 reasons - 1 - i plan to sell this turbo in the near future and couldnt be arsed fucking about with brackets for the wastegate actuator + lines - even though its fairly easy - and 2 - the way the piping had to run - wont have clearance to run the off turbo pipe neatly + safely under my current dump pipe without having to hang the piping below the skidplates / guards under the car. When i upgrade the turbo i plan to keep the intake side as is but reroute the dump pipe in a more favorable manner seeing the aussie exhausts item cant be retained with a garret.

ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: What ive been up to at night! Wed, 11 May 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a quick question. when people used PVC piping how do you seal it? i would imagine there would be a bit of pressure. i have no doubt the pipe would take it but how do you seal the joins?
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! Wed, 11 May 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by not using PVC,

or electrical tape.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What ive been up to at night! Wed, 11 May 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 18:36

by not using PVC,

or electrical tape.

you can get PVC pipe that is very able to hold high pressure. I have a PVC...water cannon Rolling Eyes ...that can withstand pressures over 100psi. The plumbers cement (that blue and very smelly stuff) is very strong and when used properly would hold the pressure from a turbo charger. But I wouldn't use it as a permanent solution.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What ive been up to at night! Wed, 11 May 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that wouldn't be a PVC.. (CANNON) would it? Smile
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: What ive been up to at night! Wed, 11 May 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice Work Stu! Might have to take a run down to Colac one day get you to fix me up one of them things hehe

just one question....isnt it a bit risky to use pvc for your intake plumbing? Evil or Very Mad sorry mate couldnt resist!

Good Job!!!!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! Wed, 11 May 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who ever said to just buy some cheap silicone bends: They aren't cheap!

$100 for 40cm.
The 90deg bends were $130 each!!!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! Wed, 11 May 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually the 90's are about 70 each

PWR have good pricing for the bends

they were a good choice in the end to give me a bit of flex in the tight places so im not regretting the purchase all that much

though using the bigger bends i now also have a large pile of spare 2.5 inch joiners - which retail for 30 + alone - so if anyone needs some - lemme know - as i wont
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: What ive been up to at night! Thu, 12 May 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking good. I found another pic of your engine bay in another thread!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwCdAuoUEuyn8xR3XlUWcrBCi5K!sC0WFHOM4vmUQ!m9leVo0iQ34xV18fDNfrkHn*ic*NJaWpANAiFjkvwbdQkaEuDC5wpGjscCSAwUDUo/engine%20poly.JPG?dc=4675499023015025672
Phyro
Regular

September 2004
Re: What ive been up to at night! Thu, 12 May 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with the rest, it just looks so damn funny, you need to have like, chlorine buckets visible in the back and a "Powered by Davey Pool Pumps" sticker on the back... just to keep people guessing... hahahaha and turn those window squirters into real water features.... or not. <Ahem>
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: What ive been up to at night! Thu, 12 May 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice fitting intercooler behind that front bar, nice and tight... should maybe re-spray the grill black to avoid hassle from cops and too look a lil sleeperish (as much as you can in a gt4 Laughing ) nice work.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2005 01:47]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! Thu, 12 May 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the cooler is going to stay as is - i dont get hassled by the cops anyway so no point changing what does already look nice ..

Gunna gave a crack tonight to put on the group A bonnet - hopefully some more pics to come this evening
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: What ive been up to at night! Thu, 12 May 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair enough, if your not gettin hassled no real point to change, good job. group A bonnet should look swooiitt
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! Thu, 12 May 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well its on guys - heres a few teaser shots as its late and the lighting is shit ..

one Group A panel swap for the front end - complete !

http://home.iprimus.com.au/utahraptor/gt4_pics/bonneton.jpg

http://home.iprimus.com.au/utahraptor/gt4_pics/bonneton2.jpg

the bonnelt needs repainting and a dent removed but still looks pretty sweet for something thats been in a garage for the last 12 + months

Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: What ive been up to at night! Thu, 12 May 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice Classique! Job well done mate. Bonnet looks tidy.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! Thu, 12 May 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh - cameras are so forgving - the thing desperatley neds a paint - has a ding in it - and is dull..

lol but in the photo it looks pretty nice Wink

Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: What ive been up to at night! Thu, 12 May 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm Lookin good
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Thu, 12 May 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet work Cool that bonnets lookin sweet, much meaner lookin now
CLEEKA
Regular

April 2005
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Thu, 12 May 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice work, time to practive know on a st162?? Evil or Very Mad
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Thu, 12 May 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Love the Grp A bonet & IC, it's kinda funny that you've got this lovely intake in the bonet, yet your running a front mount I/C(I understand why), I just think it's ironic....
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Thu, 12 May 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as beej says - its a fking vent - not a scoop Wink

that bloody big hole is to let air out - not in Smile

the little one on the side is for the cam belt cooler! there is no scoop , Neo Smile

Frontmount + group A panels = teh kickarze looks Uleh!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Thu, 12 May 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dang that's so darn hot right now!

Stu man, hardly the same car I saw back at DD7!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Thu, 12 May 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh - shes a different animal thats for sure - the upgrade only keeps going up !

the only thing thats being effected is obviously the bank , and my body - bloody sore atm from working under the car on the cement - i need a helper!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Thu, 12 May 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That totally sweet, dude! hehehe

And yeah - teh bonnet vent is good, hope to see that thing when it's done (are they ever 'done'?) in the flesh some day!
UUP-46X
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Thu, 12 May 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Awesome job mate!!! Look tops!! Nod
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Tue, 17 May 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great to see your car nearly finished Very Happy

I can't wait to see it in person and also have a ride down the GOR Nod

Cheers.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Tue, 17 May 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking good stu, better bring her out sat!!!
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Tue, 17 May 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do the dogs approve stu??
Looking forward to the next cruise in the beast dude!!!
Any news on that yellow thing too???
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Wed, 18 May 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
car wont be ready for this weekend joel - no where near finished ..

ive got a heap more piping to have made up - as i cant do anymore to it myself - welder dude came last night + were going to see about getting it happening next week at the earliest
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Mon, 23 May 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking Good there stu!!!

Looks very nice! Cant wait to see a dyno result on that thing. Cool
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Mon, 23 May 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stu

good to see you're nearly there

they do look mean with the FMIC staring at you

cheers Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Mon, 23 May 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont expect the frontmmount to make huge diifferences - though the tune will help - ill be disapointed if i dont at least get 20 or so more KW out of it at the wheels ..

got 2 of the 4 pipe welds done today - not long now !
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Mon, 23 May 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your working on the cement so much you should try and find a place that sells carpet off cuts. Dad has some strips of carpet in the garage that are very good for chucking under the car and lying on when doing some work.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Mon, 23 May 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true - would be handy Smile but theres always alot of water oging on about the car - so carpet = teh soggy in no time at all ..

its nearly done - im juts competing the last touches to the top pipes as i type this , before i get the fittings needed put in
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( now with more pictures ) Mon, 23 May 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more new pictures!!

and progress too!

http://home.iprimus.com.au/utahraptor/gt4_pics/icpipes.jpg

http://home.iprimus.com.au/utahraptor/gt4_pics/icpipes.jpg

still need 2 2inch joiners - seen here substituted with fulsic red race tape - otherwise the piping is done - now comes the fun of getting it into the IC core ! Oh and i know the pipe leading down in front of the alternator is crooked a bit - it shifted - needs some tweaking to get it right and another short silly- con joiner

[Updated on: Mon, 23 May 2005 12:08]

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What ive been up to at night! ( THERE BE PROGRESS!) Mon, 23 May 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why is that pipe rusty stu???? that looks alot like mild steel Shocked
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( THERE BE PROGRESS!) Tue, 24 May 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup its mild steel and nods its for a litytle bit of fuzz on it atm

Already checked on this - seeing its being HPC coated - they chemically clean and etch it before the coating goes on - so overall its not going to cause a problem - ill give ti a spruce up before they go down to HPC though ..

you have you use uncoated steel or stainless as far as i know with HOPC coating - as if its zinc coated - they ahve to remove the zinc before it will take
CLEEKA
Regular

April 2005
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( THERE BE PROGRESS!) Wed, 25 May 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks horn
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( THERE BE PROGRESS!) Wed, 25 May 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My jealousy meter is off the charts man Razz Looks awesome, even rusted and with full-sik red race tape.

Wish my GT4 was even close to going - damn these GT4s take a while to sort out!!!111eleven

Can I see a bling oil breather in that pic next to the charcoal canister? Or is it something else?
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( THERE BE PROGRESS!) Wed, 25 May 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats hot mate. Carlos front is so much hoter.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: What ive been up to at night! ( THERE BE PROGRESS!) Wed, 25 May 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmmm this should be ready june 4............. Does this mean i get first ride stu?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( THERE BE PROGRESS!) Thu, 26 May 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks good there Stuart.

One thing though, see if you can grab a copy of Auto Action from a couple of weeks ago, as it had some good pics of Bates ARC Corolla and the IC pipework is VERY nice. Similar to what you are doing, but you can see the small and important differences.

Still a good job though !!!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( THERE BE PROGRESS!) Thu, 26 May 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmms - any chance of scannng the article pics for me - we dont get auto action here at the local shoppe o magazines

heh - i wonder how many trips to the chiropracter Mr bates had to make to get his done Wink

And yes that indeed is a bling chrome oil breather

no oily goodness is going in my intercooler thanye very much ..

Joely - prolly wont be dude - but it wont be far off ..

ive got to see wheres the best place to line in the air temp sensor so it wont get heatsoaked and still be able to give an accurate as possible reading for the ECU ( im guessing in the top doagnal pipe somewhere )

oh forgot RWDboy - re pistons - still working on that dude - he hasnt given me the measurements yet
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( THERE BE PROGRESS!) Thu, 26 May 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stuart,

I just found it at work, so if you PM me your address, I'll post it up to you

Cheers

Michael B
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( THERE BE PROGRESS!) Thu, 26 May 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you send it to me too please Mike?!!!
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: What ive been up to at night! ( THERE BE PROGRESS!) Thu, 26 May 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
CLG wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 13:51

can you send it to me too please Mike?!!!

Get Stuart to post it to you after he is done . Laughing

I only have one copy ....

Cheers

Michael B
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fix up or sell, not sure what to do :(
Next Topic:petrol $ going up up
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 16:56:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010770082473755 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.