Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Mon, 09 May 2005 09:52 Go to next message
Quote:

need a urgent panhard rod replacement! Crying or Very Sad

As you can guess the battle of ra28 vs gutter....the gutter won by a substantial margin Confused

Now have an adjustable whiteline item.

What is the best way to set it right?
Am i going by drive shaft angles? / Measure dead center diff to dead center chassis/ Not heaps important just use line of sight?

Cheers

Nathan

edit: spelling

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2005 12:45]

Send a private message to this user    
Dominic
Regular

December 2003
Re: Emergency panhard rod replacement! help! Mon, 09 May 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ta22 is to short for RA28 as it has a narrower track.
i have also tried this and its not to short but may fit on a lowered 28,
but anyway,

one off an RA23 will fit ,otherwise whiteline make an adjustable oneim preety sure.

what have you got on there now??

cheers

Dom
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Emergency panhard rod replacement! help! Mon, 09 May 2005 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what's on there now?

a severely bent ra28 one Confused

pretty sweet now but .... ive got a whiteline adjustable lined up.

thanks all

Nathan
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Emergency panhard rod replacement! help! Tue, 10 May 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump Confused
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Tue, 10 May 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jack the car up by the diff, adjust so the diffs in the centre. let the car down, check and readjust if necessary.
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Tue, 10 May 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I installed a Whiteline adjustable rod on my TA22.
I just removed the old one, dropped the car to ride height and adjusted it to the right length and slotted it on. Then just tightened up the adjusting nut.
I dont know if it was the correct way, but it seems to work... seeing that its just there for locating I figured this would work fine, open to suggesstions though.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Tue, 10 May 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just cant help but think the positioning may be a bit more precise than that?

drive shafts and uneven loading of the diff pop to mind.. can see a potential for damage.... but then i can over exagertae alot of the time....thats why i ask.

has any1 noticed handling / performance increases with adj pans or is this not the real point of a panhard rod.
Cheers

Nathan
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Tue, 10 May 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
driveshafts? i thought this was a ta22?

its not an exact science, tho if you want it exact take it to a place that does wheel allignments and they can laser-align it for you if you want it spot on.
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Tue, 10 May 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I noticed my car was a bit more balanced, it allowed me to carry more mid corner speed, but this was only compared to before I had the adjustable rod, so my geometry was all out of whack. ie right wheel stuck out about 1" to the side Very Happy
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Tue, 10 May 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

driveshafts? i thought this was a ta22?

ra28

wateva you call the watsamajiggy going from the gbox to diff

taill shaft i guess.. what does drive shaft only refer to those on a fwd?

Cheers

Nathan
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Tue, 10 May 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The way how my brother did it to a mate's Commodore is to jack it up and have the axles supported on stands get 2 planks of wood (same length and thickness) and have it lined pressed up on the rear wheels. With a mesuring tape measure from the outer or inner rear arches. Within 30 minutes the car was perfect and not scrubbing to the one side if the car was loaded up like before...

Cheers.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Tue, 10 May 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to be done right these have to be done at the ride height of the car. I personally raised my car on a hoist with the rear wheels off, lowered it down so that the diff was suported by a work horse and stopped once the diff was in the position that it normally sits at. Then I measured from the top of the brake disk to the inner gaurd, can't get much more accurate than that I think.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Tue, 10 May 2005 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
normal ride height, 1/2 full tank & driver present, center the diff.
the diff center is between the axle flanges, not the pinion or drain plug, except by accident.
the body/frame center line should be found, but usually the body/wheel arch is good enough for me on an un damaged/pranged car.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Tue, 10 May 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allencr: prob is it is pranged (shhh don't tell the misus)

sam_q: that sounds like a convincing method.

ZZT231: sorry but that way sounds confusing.

thanks all for your input!

pretty sure i can nut this one this arvo with a bitta confidence.

Nathan
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Tue, 10 May 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA-022 wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 07:09

ZZT231: sorry but that way sounds confusing.

Nathan

Losen the nut that adjusts the length on the panhard rod then while the car is on the ground measure the distance to the hub to the guards using a stright a 1 meter ruler vertically (The ruler should be touching the ground and the top of the guard). Measure and try and make the distance between the two guards equal. I hope this helps.

Cheers
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Tue, 10 May 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I adjusted mine at ride height using the guards as a reference. Same as Sam said.

As I had like 1mm clearance before the wheel scrubs the guards this was the most important area for me to centre it.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Tue, 10 May 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think zzt231 has the idea, if it were me, then that's what i'd be doing... except in my case the body work probably isn't a good reference, i'd try and rely on the chassis rails...

basically all you need to do is to measure the distance from the outer edge of the wheels, to a central datum point on the car... use the same point for both sides, and just make sure that there is the same distance from both outer edges to that central datum.

drive shafts are the ones from the diff center to the hub, tail shaft is the one from the g'box to the diff Razz

TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Wed, 11 May 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put mine Whiteline adjustable on when I went to a disc brake rear end.

I had the diff on chocks and lowered the body of the car onto the diff. Adjusted the rod til it went square thru the mounting hole and presto. Figured this was a good starting point.

I then took the car to my local bridgestone who do awsome wheel alighnments. Prior to having the adjustable rod they told me my diff was out of centre. When I went down there with the newly installed adjustable Item they told my the diff was centred.

So my theory worked.
p.s. Was probably lucky that the car came down square. It had all new bushes so I presumed it would.

My 2c
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Wed, 11 May 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
couple of ways to do it! i use 4 x 44 gallon drums with 4 x sheets of ply on the tops of the drums,then sit the car on its disc's on the ply{make sure you put a spanner at each end of the disc's so it dosnt roll of). i use a fork lift to put the race cars on the drums. to do it at home you need to dig a pit in the back yard so when the car is at ride height you can reach all four corners or if your lucky with two people you might be able to reach under each hub(but it needs to be exact,dont want to crab down the road). pick a point on the bottom of you hubs must be exact point on each{i drill a small hole and put very small self tapper in each as you have to measure for setup every race}.then just measure diagnally front to rear both sides and ajust bar so you get exactly the same measuments for both side! easy. then go for a good drive and measure again to make sure everything has moved,this way you can make sure there wasnt binding anywere.
mick
p.s sorry about typos.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Wed, 11 May 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dood that sounds out of the realms of most peoples efforts, whos gonna bother digging a pit? does sound acurate tho.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Wed, 11 May 2005 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ment to add it dosnt have to be a deep pit as in stand under the car and have headroom. just so you can get under and measure as most will be low cars. sorry must have sounded funny guys digging these massive holes in backyard.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Wed, 11 May 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys...pulled the old one off last night.

darn old nuts....diff mount crown nut stripped right out on removal.

bolt is fine ...ive fixed that thread.

where is my best bet to get a new crown nut...the ones that have a split pin go thru?

Cheers

Nathan
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to propely set? Thu, 12 May 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just go get a nylocker of the same size. And check it more often.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to properly set? Thu, 12 May 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In an ideal world your panhard rod should be horizontal to the ground at ride height. This reduces horizontal movement with upwards and downwards movement of the axle as it will travel thru the "flattest" (relative to the end of the Panhard rod) portion of the arc. If you are in a position to do this then I would certianly go for it.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Pan Hard Rod - How to properly set? Sat, 14 May 2005 02:22 Go to previous message
done! Very Happy

with it only being a degree or two off being paralell with the ground...lovely!

thanks hepas every1!

now to fix that buckled rim making noise...LOL Rolling Eyes

Cheers

Nathan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE82 caliper and rotor upgrade
Next Topic:Rear suspension mounts problem - ke20
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 10:02:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054829120635986 seconds