Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Fri, 06 May 2005 01:05 Go to next message
hey all,

just finished putting in halogen lights in my sleeka, just replaced the old sealed beams with these new ones... now the high beams stay on... i've got high/low for the outer ones, they change... but the inner high beams stay on... i'm sure they didn't do that before, but it may just be that i didn't notice... the outer pair were just a straight unplug/plug-in. no dramas... the inner pair i needed to pull the conectors from the plug, then connect one to the bulb, and the other to the body of the light for earth... but other then that, nothing has been changed... what's going on?
  Send a private message to this user    
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Fri, 06 May 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tap the relay with a hammer see if its sticking on because of the extra power your drawing.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Fri, 06 May 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon I could offer my skills to fix the problem for a small fee.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Fri, 06 May 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 12:25

I reckon I could offer my skills to fix the problem for a small fee.

Or at least you could fix all his earthing problems Very Happy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Fri, 06 May 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont forget to charge the obligatory $100 an hour Wink

NOTE TO ANYONE ELSE CONSIDERING THIS CONVERSION!!!
Makre sure your relays can handle the current draw of 4 low beams and 4 high beams all at once. If not, upgrade relays and cabling.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Fri, 06 May 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon I could start my own company fxing bad earths Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Fri, 06 May 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only charge $90 an hour, although I do offer a discount to all Toymods forums goers Smile
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Fri, 06 May 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hows this sound... $100 an hr... then you pay me $200 if you do anything i've already done and don't fix the problem... the tapping of the relay, i haven't tried that, only thought about it on the way home now... it's earthing fine... there's only 2 low beams, and 4 high beams, wattage has DECREASED! 'cause i'm using the artic blue lights.

*off to tap relays*
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Fri, 06 May 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seriously if you need someone to look at it, I can help you out.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Fri, 06 May 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh.. offer appreciated dude, but there's no need, no reason you can't come around have a sticky beak for the hell of it...

my old man's a mechanic, i'll get him to have a look one day... i'm not gonna be driving it anytime soon anyway... needs a RWC before i re-register it... (change of ownership)

i tapped the relay, and there's nothing wrong with them here... i just realised i might not have made things clear... the high beams are stuck on... ONLY WHEN I TURN THE LIGHTS ON... i can turn them off.. but i can't have only low beams... it's all or nothing...

what ever it is... the high beams on all four lights aren't turning off unless i turn the lights off altogether... the low beams are still switching though... is there a seperate relay for high beams? i could only see one for the lights (it was dark, and i didn't have lights), on the right strut tower... old metal box relay...
Hack
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Fri, 06 May 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had same prob when i upgraded my lights.

To fix it, i insulated the chrome surrounds holding the high beam lights in. just put a bit of electrical tape round the three tabs that the screws go thru.

Dont ask me how this works, it just did...

I think camzh (?) had a similar prob, try a search.

Hope this helps

Brendan

Ps. Just had a look at the original post & there aint really any useful info - its called RA28 headlight upgrades

[Updated on: Fri, 06 May 2005 14:46]

SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Fri, 06 May 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure if its the same sort of thing, but when i re-wired the headlights in the lancer (melted plugs) i got confused by some sort of earth switching... eg, when the low beams were on, the 12v+ to the high beams was on too, and then the earth was switched to turn them on... but that was only on a H4..

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Sat, 07 May 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hack wrote on Sat, 07 May 2005 00:34

Had same prob when i upgraded my lights.

To fix it, i insulated the chrome surrounds holding the high beam lights in. just put a bit of electrical tape round the three tabs that the screws go thru.

Dont ask me how this works, it just did...

I think camzh (?) had a similar prob, try a search.

Hope this helps

Brendan

Ps. Just had a look at the original post & there aint really any useful info - its called RA28 headlight upgrades

hmmmm... that's a very good point, i'll give that a shot... i think what it is, the old lights have glass contacting the surround... and the power is controlled through the earth... so when you turn your lights on, the power goes to earth... so when you have the metal contacting the surround it's got a permanant earth... so insulate that, and you can control it with the earth wire...

good thinking einstein....
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Sat, 07 May 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 13:23

Frogshows Performance Earthing Service?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Sat, 07 May 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Sat, 07 May 2005 22:44

Cool1 wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 13:23

Frogshows Performance Earthing Service?

Man that is a classic. When I finally pull the Celica out of the shed, I'm gonna have this written across the windscreen Very Happy
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Sat, 07 May 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.elektranix.com/images/earthmoving.jpg

Cool1's Earth-moving and construction service!

???
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Sun, 08 May 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earth moving Laughing
Gleno28
Regular

August 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Sun, 08 May 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you're on the right track with switching earths... the inner lights have 12V full time to both wires on low beam, then one is earthed for high beam... have fun!
Glen.
jeffro
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Mon, 09 May 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem isnt the earth. When you change from sealed beam headlights to H4 headlights you have to change the wiring at the headlight plug. The configeration of the earth and high beam power is around the wrong way. Change those and the system will stop backfeeding which is why you cant turn highbeam off. Goodluck
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Tue, 10 May 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeffro wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 22:14

When you change from sealed beam headlights to H4 headlights you have to change the wiring at the headlight plug. The configeration of the earth and high beam power is around the wrong way. Change those and the system will stop backfeeding which is why you cant turn highbeam off.

Sorry to say this Jeffro but Headlights are not polarity conscious. They run on on DC !

My guess is you have a blown fuse !
Check your headlight fuses with an Ohmeter. Don't just look at them and presume they are OK.
I think there is 1 for Low Beam and 1 for High Beam.

Cheers
T.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Tue, 10 May 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDCelica: your a mullet, if there are only 3 pins, 1 high, 1 low and one common, and two are in the wrong place, its wont make a difference?

gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Tue, 10 May 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SL666 wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 13:06

FWDCelica: your a mullet, if there are only 3 pins, 1 high, 1 low and one common, and two are in the wrong place, its wont make a difference?

I fail to see where exactly he says that they are round the wrong way... He says the fuse is possibly blown.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Tue, 10 May 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he was refuting the 'wires around the wrong way' argument with 'lightbulbs dont care about polarity'

-
Quote:

Sorry to say this Jeffro but Headlights are not polarity conscious. They run on on DC !

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2005 05:29]

FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Tue, 10 May 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing

You're right dude.

The wires could be the wrong way around.

All H4 bulbs are made to a Standard (just like the Pins in a 240v Plug/socket)
So it doesn't matter what brand of Lamp you use
(eg. Philips,Hella,Narva,Bosch or Toyota genuine) you don't have to rewire your connector.

Makes sense when you think about it !

Still I would check the fuses 1st before digging any deeper.

Cheers Dude !

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Tue, 10 May 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to step in incase we're heading toward a flame war... the outer pair of lights are h4 bulbs... 3 pins the just plug straight in... the inner pair are h3, only 1 pin on the bulb, and a terminal of sorts on the body of the light. this one isn't polarity sensitive. and the h4's are wired correctly...

my money is on the fact that the new halogen light bodies are metal (at the point where they contact the light 'chassis') where as the old sealed beams were glass at the same point... so i'm gonna go insulate them tomorrow just to settle this dispute...

thanks everyone for their input, let you all know how it goes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Tue, 10 May 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My offer still stands Smile
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Tue, 10 May 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol... like a dog with a bone huh.. sure come around, you can have a sticky beak... pm'd my mob number if your really keen
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Tue, 10 May 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just upgraded the ghetto sled to Hella 100/130W outers and 150W sealed beam inners. With the high beams on and the 1UZ at full tilt, people must think the end of the world is coming Laughing.

Using 2 40 amp relays for the lows and 2 50 amp relays for the highs - is this enough?
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Tue, 10 May 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Shocked Shocked

can you get those in a halogen (artic blue) bulb?????

i've got 55/60.... i think....
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Tue, 10 May 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Biggest you can get the arctic blues and the "real light" H4 bulbs is 55/60W (from what I could see on the Hella and Narva online catalogues anyway).

100/130W is the biggest H4 bulb available in the manuals - it's a halogen bulb by the way, just not blue.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2005 23:57]

SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

100/130W outers and 150W sealed beam inners

okay so 100/12 = 8.3A x2 = 16.6 amps lowbeam

130/12 = 10.8 x 2 = 21.6a
+
150/12 = 12.5 x 2 = 25 a = 46.6A

hope the wiring is up to the task Smile should be a few less amps when the engines actually charging..
KDog
Regular

July 2002
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your solution has already been posted.

You need to insulate the metal of the new globes so that they do not become the earth. Usually the high beam will have 12volts on both sides. When you turn the high beam on one side will go to ground so the light turns on. In your case one side is always at ground because the metal case is touching the chassis.
This is problem with older subarus as the factory insulating material wears off fairly easily when they are older so juts changing a blown bulb usually causes this problem.

To test you just need to remove the light fittings from the chassis and balance them somewhere they will be insulated from the chassis. If your light go back to working properly then you know this is the problem.

The current will increase when the engine is running.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an da winner es.... sydne... no wait... da winner es HACK!

lol, problem sorted now... well problem diagnosed, just gotta put it back together.

thanks for the advice everyone... greatly appreciated
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KDog: current increases when running? why so? Smile i thought the current would decrease when voltage increased?

KDog
Regular

July 2002
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The lights are a constant resistance (load).

It all comes back to ohms law.
Current is equal to voltage/resistance.

For say a 100watt bulb.

12V (from battery)/ 1.44ohms(resistance of globe) = 8.3amps

Vs

13.6V (from alternator when car is running) / 1.44ohms = 9.4amps.

hence why they are brighter when the car is running, which means they must be consuming more power. Can't get something for nothing.
Hack
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Glad to help

Upgraded lights make an awesome difference...
One of those things that you kick yourself for not doing sooner...

Brendan
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i always thought to calculate amps it was watts/volts.. sne.. oh well learn something new every day. Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SL666 wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 13:56

i always thought to calculate amps it was watts/volts.. sne.. oh well learn something new every day. Smile

It is.
You cant work current of a light globe by using its cold resistance as filament resistance changes with heat.
KDog
Regular

July 2002
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes this is true. I was just illustrating how current increases with the voltage, which is true for all lamps.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And on the 4th day god created light....

woohoo.. all the lights working a treat now, painted the factory parkers a feint blue (to match the artic blue high/low beams), and installed parkers in the new halogen bodies... with green caps... so desperatly wanna go for a drive... sucks that she's outta rego atm... and pending RWC Sad
Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Out of curiosity...

Do these halogen conversion kits by hella / narva etc meet ADR?

Cheers
-Phil
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can't see why not... they got all the markings on the lense that would hint at a big yes... but i can't give you a definite...
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pure_In_Sanity wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 17:00

Out of curiosity...

Do these halogen conversion kits by hella / narva etc meet ADR?

Cheers
-Phil

Yes, there's a large pdf file on the Hella site outlining how the H4 inserts are ADR compliant and what bulbs meet the requirements. It would seem that 55/60W bulbs are the go. Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:20]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 09:56

Biggest you can get the arctic blues and the "real light" H4 bulbs is 55/60W (from what I could see on the Hella and Narva online catalogues anyway).

100/130W is the biggest H4 bulb available in the manuals - it's a halogen bulb by the way, just not blue.

my 2c, the 'blue' bulbs suck hairy dogs balls...
i got some for my sisters car (philips) and they are whitish, but not great. the Plus50's (or 60's) i have are much brighter, and have a whiter light than the blue's... the blue tint seems to decrease the amount of light even over a standard 55/60W of the same brand..

go the plus50's Smile.. and if thats not enough, up the wattage, but with that you get extra heat too...

anyhoo... oh and only 55/60's are ADR compliant... i can't remember if the Plus bulbs are ADR as well.. prolly not Wink
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 11 May 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 19:53

my 2c, the 'blue' bulbs suck hairy dogs balls...
i got some for my sisters car (philips) and they are whitish, but not great. the Plus50's (or 60's) i have are much brighter, and have a whiter light than the blue's... the blue tint seems to decrease the amount of light even over a standard 55/60W of the same brand..

go the plus50's Smile.. and if thats not enough, up the wattage, but with that you get extra heat too...

I agree with Stewart.

We put a set of "blue" bulbs in one of the work utes and while they showed up reflective signs (ie street signs) for miles, if you were driving down a road without street lights and there was a bag of concrete laying in the middle of the road you wouldn't know about it until you ran over it.

Replaced them with a pair of "plus 60's" and they were great. A big improvement over standard 55/60w globes.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 18 May 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use 90/130 and have 24 volt system pus two 100w cibies with cibie wiring for the whole lot! mind blowing lighting.
mick
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: sealed beam => halogen conversion gone wrong.... Wed, 18 May 2005 10:43 Go to previous message
its sort of related to the topic, seeing as its about headlights.
can anyone recommend an upgrade for a ae82, the current lights are pretty shocking at night
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sump oil level light (help ID this item)
Next Topic:1JZ install in GZ20 Soarer
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:13:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010954856872559 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.