Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Spark Plug Tea Leaf Reading ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
icon10.gif  Spark Plug Tea Leaf Reading ? Tue, 10 May 2005 02:03 Go to next message
I've just pulled out my month old spark plugs to see if they are showing any signs of problems in comparison with one of the many spark plug photo charts on the net.

I have a black 'cloud' / smudge on the white insulator around the centre electrode of plug number 2. Its covering about 20% of the white post. The rest of the plugs look fine, nice and white and no electrode wear.

Is this a sign of carbon fouling / rich mixture / leaky injector in this cylinder ?

Thanks,
Mitch.
  Send a private message to this user    
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Spark Plug Tea Leaf Reading ? Tue, 10 May 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pics will help?

If its white powdery look then its wrong heat range or lean fuel. So im lead to believe.

Cheers

Steve
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Spark Plug Tea Leaf Reading ? Tue, 10 May 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Steve, yes pics would be good but the digi cam is out with the wife for her work at present.....

I have two plugs that are a light rusty brown colour, three that are half/brown and half black, while the last one is as black as the ace of spades.

I don't have any white/light brown ones at all.

So, after finding Denso's spark plug site and looking at the pictures they have there, I reckon I have a serious carbon fouling problem, maybe caused by a leaking injector.....

Thanks for chiming in.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Spark Plug Tea Leaf Reading ? Tue, 10 May 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
problem is, most of those spark plug charts were back in the days of leaded fuel, and running unleaded doesn't give rise to as nice a colour change (afaik) black is still rich, but apart from that..

since you have one black one, that cylinder is either getting more fuel, more oil (from rings etc), or the other three have air leaks Wink

compression test?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Spark Plug Tea Leaf Reading ? Tue, 10 May 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stew,

You know just the nicest things to say to a guy mate ! Very Happy Very Happy

I have been pestering CLG for a compression test for ages, but he always has something better to do.....

Besides, when I first got the motor the compression was good, so I am hoping that I have a leaking injector.....

Cheers,
Mitch.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Spark Plug Tea Leaf Reading ? Tue, 10 May 2005 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oil deposits will shine & be brighter then fuel and a little "puffy", if that helps.
could also be that plug and/or plug wire and/or a dizzy cap problem.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Spark Plug Tea Leaf Reading ? Tue, 10 May 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that, I have learned something new and I have something else to check on my car, so I will.
Cheers,
Mitch.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Spark Plug Tea Leaf Reading ? Wed, 11 May 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beside the fact that to read the plug properly you need to put new plugs in give it a hard run somewere safe and turn the ignition of at full noise to get a proper reading. if you have your breather pipe conected to the inlet under full noise it will throw oil into the intake, hence the use of catch cans. some of the unleaded fuels and additives do leave deposit on plus and depending on modes you might need a hotter plug. its prob just a bit of oil thrown into the intake from the top end but if you want to check go some were safe and put a new set in and give it a hard blast and turn it of at full noise and roll to a stop,pull plugs out and smell them and look. this tell you if to much fuel in one etc.
mick
p.s hi stew, pm me for my new number
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Spark Plug Tea Leaf Reading ? Wed, 11 May 2005 05:32 Go to previous message
Mick,
Thanks for those tips mate.
Cheers,
Mitch.