Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
icon8.gif  THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 03:19 Go to next message
Quote:

The 15 year old law has ended.

The long wait is finally over with the amendment being made to the `Motor Vehicle Standards Act` yesterday - these changes take effect the day after they are written so as of this morning there will be no more 1989-90 model cars imported under these laws. A copy of the actual law amendment can be viewed at www.comlaw.gov.au

This change has been long coming with the announcment made in early February that this was the direction things were heading, however the very slow manner in which the Act was amended provided a small window of opportunity many have taken advantage of, which has now ended.

From this day onwards there are a few distinct ways to import cars as listed below:

- 1988 and older -
Any vehicle built before 1st January 1989 (ie 1988 and older) can be im ported without restriction in the same way as the now old `15 year rules` - as before you still need to get import approval from DOTARS before shipping the car to Australia.

- SEVS compliance -
This now includes any cars built in 1989 or newer which meet the SEVS criteria - basically this means that the car must not have been sold in Australia during the same year range & must meet specific performance criteria in most cases.
You can view the full list of cars approved under the SEVS scheme at http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/sevs/sevsindex.htm but please be aware that you can only import a vehicle if there is compliance available also.

- Motorsport vehicles -
Cars are still allowed to be import for `race only` use however the requirements are fairly strict as always. You need to have a level 3 or higher CAMS licence, the car needs to be FIA approved or endorsed by CAMS for the race class you intend using it for. Motorsport imports can\\\\\\\'t be registered for road use.

- Personal imports -
You are allowed to import any car as a personal import without restriction on make/model as long as you have owned and used it overseas for at least the past 12 months.
This law is for people moving to live in Australia and wishing to bring their vehicle as well - you will be asked to provide evidence of your time overseas and your intention to stay in Australia.

SEVS import laws in combination with the 1988 and earlier rule still allow a good selection of cars to be brought in and the variety of SEVS vehicles available is likely to increase over time.

its finally over.

make sure you all send emails to mr beazley to express your disgust at this injustice.

Send a private message to this user    
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.frli.gov.au/comlaw/management.nsf/asmad e/bytitle/97D7B098B855203ECA256F710006B4CF?OpenDoc ument&VIEW=amending&COUNT=25&START=1
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr_Love wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 13:19

this injustice.

Rolling Eyes
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As much as we want the rule changed to allow this again , I dont think the opposition will be able to change this now its has passed legislation.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*sniff* no more celsior

another dream dies
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im glad imports flooded the market before they managed to close the rules on this! you can still import 88 model cars or older so 86's are still importable
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
like ST165s Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to ask slightly OT question but do cars imported under SEVS need to be complied at one of them RAWS workshops? Or is it still just a case of getting the papers for compliance and getting all the work done (regardless of where it's done)...
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 14:17

this injustice.

Rolling Eyes

you cant tell me you dont feel sorry for all the poor dudes whose jobs relied a lot on importation of jap cars. Lots of honest peeps will lose their businesses because of this change.

SEVS = HAVE to compliance at RAWS workshop.
88 or older cars no need to get compliance, just an engineers certificate and modification plate for the work required to bring it to ADR.

Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1200det wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 14:26

As much as we want the rule changed to allow this again , I dont think the opposition will be able to change this now its has passed legislation.

i doubt it as well, but a push to widen the band of SEVS importable cars would be extremely beneficial to people who want to import a car.
Apparently its damn near impossible to get RAWS certification. Many compliance centres went bust because they couldnt get through the red tap and went bankrupt trying..
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr_Love wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 14:13

this injustice.

Rolling Eyes

you cant tell me you dont feel sorry for all the poor dudes whose jobs relied a lot on importation of jap cars. Lots of honest peeps will lose their businesses because of this change.

In the long run more people will loose their jobs in Australian car factories due to imports.

I'm with Rolling Eyes
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 16:23

Dr_Love wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 14:13

this injustice.

Rolling Eyes

In the long run more people will loose their jobs in Australian car factories due to imports.

I'm with Rolling Eyes

you honestly think that someone who will spend about 20 grand max on an imported modified car would buy local if it were the only option? not gona happen. The two markets (import and local) have hugely different customer profiles
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not today, not tomoro, but in time, yes. Imports will DEFINATELY hurt the Australia Car market (which severly sucks and needs a good kick up the ass, which imports will hopefully provide)
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I read an interesting article in a car magazine (can't remember which one) that said the government's "reasons" for changing the 15 year rules were

a) safety
and
b) emmisions

as they were the 'easiest' justifications. There is nothing to back these reasons up, however - the article stated that Jap cars have had stricter emmisons controls than Australian ones since the 70s, and (as we know) imported cars have to be complianced etc. Local cars of the same era can be continued to be reg'd in a lot of states without any saftey upgrades... Rolling Eyes
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 14:55

like ST165s Very Happy

and M/GZ20's Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:45]

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's stupid. I'm not interested in the crap they have here. "Oooh, look at my high torque V8 and all it's power... ohnocorner!!! *CRASH*" Ohwell... I was considering moving overseas anway. Just another reason to do so.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will never ever buy a crappy, ugly, unimpressive, unreliable, uneconomical, unfun shitbox aussie car, ever.

The fact that there will be less imports to chose from wont make me buy one either. The australian car market needs to build some cars to suit OUR MARKET. That is, a lightweight, agile chassis (FR format, none of this cheap to produce FF BULLSHIT) with a responsive motor from TODAYS ERA with todays technology.

If this is accomplished... it may save the australian car industry? If not it at least solves the car hunt for some enthusiasts.
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why do people buy imports? Because they cannot find the same value for money, all round performance and aftermarket support locally.

The Australia market does not cater to the "import" demographic.

Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 16:52

Not today, not tomoro, but in time, yes. Imports will DEFINATELY hurt the Australia Car market (which severly sucks and needs a good kick up the ass, which imports will hopefully provide)

the only way australias new car market would have even been affected (let alone hurt) was if they locally produced cars that were good and well priced. Because they dont, we were buying imports. Mainly cause they were the best cars we could afford.
If youre into el cheapo quality family falcodores but you wanna pay top dollar for them thats great but the option should be there for an alternative.

People buying 10k$ cars WILL NEVER affect the new car market unless there are new cars for 10k$. Simple.

The big car manufacturers have obviously influenced this move due to the fact that they were starting to look worse than they already did. Now we are forced into buying aus cars for too much cash.

Look at how much a newish barina costs compared to an older import. Then compare the technology and safety features. Then compare the perfomance. I know which one is a rip off. So does everybody else. Thats what we're left with though.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I get my Celsior on Tuesday, well thats when it lands atleast, glad I got in when I did.

The reason they changed the laws is because it affects the 2nd hand prices of aussie made cars, which then deters people from buying new aussie cars because they wont be worth shit in 3 yrs.

Look how much VT commodores are, like under 10k.

I still think its their own fault for not offering quality cars in the first place.

Like it was said a couple posts back, all the emission and safety excuses is a load of crap.

Oh yeah, good example of quality, compare a 1989 commodore or falcon to a Celsior, makes me giggle Smile

My opinion any way.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to agree here...as much as I like my old school Holden’s...they are not a match for jap...I mean I like my old gals as weekend cars...eg street/strip but as far as day to day cars all u have to do is compare my 88 soarer with a VN commodore....please there is no comparison...the soarer has all electrical interior, climate controll, fully adjustable camber suspension at all four corners, electronic suspension, black swade interior, twin turbo’s smooth as silk engine and spares are cheaper then commodore thanks to forums like toymods.....which I has made my car what it is today!!!
I like my old school beasts and not cause I am an true blue ausse, just because I love my loud fast eights cause this was the first car I owned and built my self... but u can’t beat jap for bang for your buck deal...this law just stops us from enjoying the good things that are available in the world cause we can not match the same quality for that year!!
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does this mean that the price of Import Cars will now Sky Rocket?!

1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those who own a few we wish , but no this wont happen

When approval stopped for many cars under the old SEVs scheme the car prices didnt get any higher etc GTR Familia , SW20`s etc etc

Malicia wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 03:35

Does this mean that the price of Import Cars will now Sky Rocket?!

supra1978
Regular

February 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 12 May 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr Love, dont feel sorry for all the "poor dudes whose jobs relied a lot on importation of jap cars". They shouldn't have been making a job out of 15 year old imports in the first place! Its the abuse of the 15 year old rule by these "poor dudes" which played a major part in it's demise.

You need to understand the intent of the 15 year old rule.

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Fri, 13 May 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I heard somewhere that the major downfall of the 15 year rule was imports of cheap family cars/4wds etc. The performance cars weren't as big a factor.

And what WAS the idea behind the 15 year rule? Corporations are allways screetching about free trade. Free trade my arse. They just want THIER company to be special and get special treatment.

And who gives a stuff if Commodores aren't worth shit after 3 years? Perhaps they should stop flooding the market with shithouse cars that break after a few years. Razz

As far as performance imports go, if anyone had a major impact on the 15 year rule it's Nissan. That and the Fast and the Furious. Thanks a lot America, you just ruined our import scene. Razz
supra1978
Regular

February 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Fri, 13 May 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka, the idea behind the 15 y.o. rule was to serve the interests of enthusiasts.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Fri, 13 May 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr_Love wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 00:48

The big car manufacturers have obviously influenced this move due to the fact that they were starting to look worse than they already did. Now we are forced into buying aus cars for too much cash.

Look at how much a newish barina costs compared to an older import. Then compare the technology and safety features. Then compare the perfomance. I know which one is a rip off. So does everybody else. Thats what we're left with though.

You don't know how wrong you are.

If you knew siomething about cars and the advances in safety, you'd realise.

I only wish I could get 2005 level of safety and chassis protection in my 1983 Supra, but I can't.

Michael B
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Fri, 13 May 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well on the bright side its not as bad as we thought it was going to be, can still get 1988 and prior vehicles so that means ae86's, aw11's, s13's (many of which have had an sr20det conversion), s4 rx7's, a31 cefiros's
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Fri, 13 May 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
err cefiros would still be able to come in anyway cos they were never sold in australia new, thats my understanding from what i have read, the only vehicles impacted are ones that were sold i australia from new or a very similar vehicle was. IE thats why the celsior can't be imported because the LS400 lexus is very much the same car. yes it will cost more to import them through sevs i think but hey you can still get em here.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Fri, 13 May 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1989 and newer have to go through sevs which is much more expensive, the vehicle also has to be bone stock, ie u cant import a modified r32 anymore.

the 15year rule is dead but in its place is teh 1989 and earlier rule, cars made before 1989 can still come in cheaply and modified
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Fri, 13 May 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bahh wrong you can import a modded R32 but only for race purposes and you must show a category which it can compete in and have a level 3 cams license
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Fri, 13 May 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah and whos gona do that lol, im talking about cars for road use
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Fri, 13 May 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you import them as spare parts? It seems rediculous to limit you importing cars. I can understand having a limit on the cars you can REGISTER from overseas, but the hell buisness do they have sticking their nose into what items I'm bringing over? What, are unregisterable parts cars illegal now?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Fri, 13 May 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Love them or hate them, the Commodore/Falcon, does a fine job for Mr and Mrs Average and their 2.4 kids.

I'm not talking about the dudes that hot-up and lower their Commies etc (which is nearly as silly as people doing the same with their Camrys and Magnas), but the average Joe who needs a reliable car that will get him aorund the place.

Commodore parts are easy to get and for the buyer that's a big plus. For their intended market these cars do a good job and they aren't that unreliable. If they were, then they wouldn't be used by taxi companies and fleet buyers. They're a family sedan - not a sports car.

Most of the import cars that I see are sports cars and these vehicles do not compete with the Commies etc. It's a different market.

In any event, I wish the government would change its stance on large 4WD shit-boxes and tax them out of existence. I'd much prefer to see Commies on the road than these 4-ton 4WD behemoths.

seeyuzz
river
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Fri, 13 May 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 17:01

Can you import them as spare parts?

Does this also affect importing half cuts and the like?
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Fri, 13 May 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supra1978 wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 08:31

Dr Love, dont feel sorry for all the "poor dudes whose jobs relied a lot on importation of jap cars". They shouldn't have been making a job out of 15 year old imports in the first place! Its the abuse of the 15 year old rule by these "poor dudes" which played a major part in it's demise.

Spot On!
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Fri, 13 May 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 17:58

...In any event, I wish the government would change its stance on large 4WD shit-boxes and tax them out of existence. I'd much prefer to see Commies on the road than these 4-ton 4WD behemoths.

seeyuzz
river

Well I'm with you there! I hate 4WDs. I'm happy for people to have the IF THEY ACTUALY USE THE 4WD SYSTEM! I don't understand how they can make popup lights on new cars illegal, but still allow 4WDs on the road.

And I think you'll find that Taxi's are mostly Ford Falcons, which are pretty good for a fat family mover. I think the second most popular taxi in Melbourne anyway is a Toyota Camry.

Anyway, I was in a mood when I wrote that. I suppose Falcons and Commodores are okayish. But I'd apreciate atleast SOME cars being made for me. Small sports cars and large supercars would be good. And you can say "Naw, why would they when they can sell the crappier ones?" Well rather obviously, 'cuz if they don't make them, we'll go elsewhere to get them. They want the best of both worlds. They wanna be able to make crap over here 'cuz most people don't know the difference, AND not have to deal with the reprocussions of falling sales as the second hand market dies. Sorry, you can't have it both ways (or well, with this new law crap I guess they can *shakes fist*).
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Sat, 14 May 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4wd's have purpose but the problem is too many ppl buy them as a status symbol, when we got ours in 1991 we bought it cos we are a family of six and none of the vans offered the same carrying capacity in terms of luggage and passenger and with the weight of six ppl and luggage on a long trip some vans are deludingly underpowered. Also we looked at tarago's at the time and the last row of seating the windows didn't open not offering airflow to me and my sister who were young at the time to have a fresh supply of air. In the time we had it we did go offroad mainly fire trails and a couple of other dirt roads but the main reason was it capacity to move six ppl a shitload of luggage up north every school holidays without being exceptionally squished.
Many other ppl that bougt 4wd's in these times were in the same sitch but now they are just for mum and 1 -2 kids that like to waste fuel and use the barge as a weapon. As soon as we no longer needed the 4wd we sold it and bought a camry. I think 4wd's should be taxed for their emissions but somehow only on the ppl that can't prove they need it for its purpose of size or ability to go offroad.
Back to the imports though, well its not liek you couldn't see it coming but well shit happens and yo just have to live with it.
And guess what labor out of anyone is the least likely to help because the unions would slaughter them if they threatened the jobs of automotive workers.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Sat, 14 May 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all you boys need to do is to move to japan for more than 12 months and own a car there.. then you can BRING BACK ANYTHING Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Sat, 14 May 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bring me back my caldina damnit Mad
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Mon, 16 May 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and those jobs deserve to be lost if they are unabel to compete with freedom of trade

i seam to remember a law dealing with restriction of trade somewhere along the line
wish i knew someone from queens counsel as ive many a topic to dicuss with them if theyre willing to work pro-bona
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Mon, 16 May 2005 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 17:01

Can you import them as spare parts? It seems rediculous to limit you importing cars. I can understand having a limit on the cars you can REGISTER from overseas, but the hell buisness do they have sticking their nose into what items I'm bringing over? What, are unregisterable parts cars illegal now?

Unregisterable parts cars have not been able to imported for years now.
Mainly to do with that parts attract a lower import duty, & then were stil making it onto the road.

4DaDrift wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 23:50

i seam to remember a law dealing with restriction of trade somewhere along the line
wish i knew someone from queens counsel as ive many a topic to dicuss with them if theyre willing to work pro-bona

I think you'll find the term is pro-bono.
Pro-bona is something you'll get in a red light district.

Oh yeah, if you want a Caldina, mine's for sale Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Mon, 16 May 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no you see i want a turbo charged petrol awd one, aka Gt-t
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: THE 15 YEAR RULE IS DEAD! Thu, 19 May 2005 07:24 Go to previous message
old_mr2 wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 20:56

supra1978 wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 08:31

Spot On!

im talking about smaller compliance centres and such that relied on enthusiasts who wont be able to get enough business to survive now because they cant get RAWS certification.

im not talking about yards and salespeople who are trying to flood the place with imports.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WIndow Tint 35%, 25% or 15%
Next Topic:Gear knob
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 03:53:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075080394744873 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.