Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
slapper
Occasional Poster

May 2005
ADEL: AE86 strut bottoms Thu, 12 May 2005 06:56 Go to next message
Looking for bog standard AE86 struts - probably left over after conversion. Don't need dampers, springs or tops unless they are aftermarket lowered/firmer units ...

This is to go in an AE71 ...

Respond here for the time being as I should be paying attention!

cheers,
Slapper
  Send a private message to this user    
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: ADEL: AE86 strut bottoms Thu, 12 May 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
these wont fit in your AE71, unless you're changing the ackerman arms as well...

the bolt pattern is different.
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: ADEL: AE86 strut bottoms Thu, 12 May 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
otherwise, if you don't believe me, you can buy a pair off me for $100

Razz
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: ADEL: AE86 strut bottoms Thu, 12 May 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve-AE86 wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 20:50

these wont fit in your AE71, unless you're changing the ackerman arms as well...

the bolt pattern is different.

I'll confirm this too. The steering arms are different and hence the bolt spacing on the strut tube differs as well.
slapper
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: ADEL: AE86 strut bottoms Thu, 12 May 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bummer - thanks for the heads up ...
plan B
don't suppose you know whether the AE86 steering arms will hook up to the AE71 tie rod ends?

looks like I'll be looking for the bottom steering arms as well!
hmmmm - that's integral with the control arm isn't it? This might be getting more involved (read "costly") than it's worth!

Slapper
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: ADEL: AE86 strut bottoms Thu, 12 May 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll just need to get the AE86 Steering arms. As far as tie rod ends, they have a great deal of movement and adjustability so they should fit, if not go to the wreckers and find longer ends from something like an old celica.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: ADEL: AE86 strut bottoms Thu, 12 May 2005 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KE70 and AE71 steering arms are interchangeable between themselves.

RT132/XT130, early model Celica/Supra, etc. arms are different strut bolt pattern to KE70/AE71, but the same amongst themselves I think.

AE86 is also different to KE70 and AE71... logically I would think it to be the same as Corona/Celica/Supra etc. as above.

All these cars share the same ball joint (Powermax p/n PBJ45) so steering arms can be changed to suit your selected strut. Be aware of:

> Bump steer arising from the resulting alignment of tie rods and lower control arms, and
> Steering ratio, a function of steering arm length, and
> Ackerman angle, a function of tie rod joint positioning relative to strut bolt alignment (good image on Toymods somewhere to illustrate, search it I'm too tired Sleep )
slapper
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: ADEL: AE86 strut bottoms Thu, 12 May 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you all - information gold!

After hours of trawling through newsgroups, google and the internet in general, I thought I'd worked it all out ... apparently not!

put the idea of AE86 struts on hold for the time being (wipe that idea like a dirty arse) until I work out what I'm going to do. I'm about to go down the suspension path and had thought it might be more useful doing it with AE86 struts than AE71's ... I'm not sure I will bother now!

cheers all,
Slapper
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: ADEL: AE86 strut bottoms Sat, 14 May 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here's a wicked combo for you, and fair cheap for what you get.

early sigma control arms
ae86 steering arms
ae86 struts
ra40 tie-rod ends and adjuster tubes

out of this, you get a better steering axis inclination fromt the ae86 struts, as well as 30mm more track, a bit more neg camber from the sigma control arms, and ra40 tie-rods sort out any toe issues.

ackerman angle changes slightly, but meh.
keep your ae71 rack, cos it's half a turn lock to lock less than the ae86 one.
and bump steer will only happen if you lower your car...and even then, unless you're experienced in the feel of a car, you won't even notice it.

in fact, i like the bump steer in my ae86, and therefore don't run RCA's, even tho my car is lowered to the extent of having 60mm ground clearance
slapper
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: ADEL: AE86 strut bottoms Sun, 15 May 2005 14:06 Go to previous message
hmmmmm ... interesting.

Are the control arms necessary? Are they there for the extra track (and resultant -ve camber) or is the ball joint hole a different size on the AE86 steering arms and the sigma ones fit? Is there a chance that AE71 or AE86 control arms would do the job?

Does the ackerman angle change come from different steering arm lengths or angles?

I'm a bit wary about changing the steering geometry ... but won't rule it out if others are having success. Although the existing shocks are shagged and all, I'm pleasantly impressed with the AE71's "stock" handling and would feel pretty stupid if I rooted it! I know widening the track (without doing anything else) will drop the roll center and probably require some otyer stuff to address the increased front roll.

The AE71 will get lowered, but only an inch or so from stock ... the back sits quite a bit higher than the front at the moment, so I'm not quite sure where I need to go yet ... I'll flop some new springs and shocks in and go from there. Any strut changes would obviously be a good idea to get out the way before that! I'm still looking for info that will help me decide on a path that allows for decent damper selection.

There's not much chance I'm going to get to a wrecker on a measuring frenzy in the next few weeks, so I'm sucking info from the 'net - and anyone who's silly enough to answer my questions!

thanks,
Slapper
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wanted SX front indicaters socket and cover
Next Topic:AE86 steering arm
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:19:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049560070037842 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.