Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
icon5.gif  Corona Gearbox problems Thu, 12 May 2005 23:53 Go to next message
Hi

My 1973 Corona Mark II RX12 has some gearbox problems.

on 1st and 3rd gear it makes a lot of noise, but on 2nd and 4th its all quiet, im thinking it has some worn out bearings, but if thats correct, how difficult is it to change them?

i was also thinking the gearbox might have run very low on oil, but then it should have made noise on all gears?

anyone have any good ideas?

Im also considering upgrading to a 5speed instead of the 4speed, but can i use 5speed from any cressida or celica that has R serie engine? if so will the box itself mount straight in or is there diffrences?

i have a 81 cressida 5speed box from a 21R, will this fit? i also know of a 78 celica 18R 5 speed, how about this one?

thanks for ur answers Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You won't necessarily have killed all the bearings if the box has run low on oil and its also possible the synchromesh has gone (high pitched whine) on those two gears and not the others. Still, if the box is noisy its time to rip it open and replace the bits inside.

The W50 is the 5 speed you want and you will find that in models the same vintage as yours. Its most common/numerous in 18R engined Celica's, RA23/28/ and 40.

The W50 5 speed will bolt straight on no worries in place of your W40 4 speed.

If the 81 Cressy box is a W50 it *should* fit fine, the W50 from the 78 Celica will fit no worries.

How did you end up with your master cylinder problems ?

Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

thanks for ur answer.

Do you happen to know if the w59 box fit? i have one of thoose, its from a 1c diesel.

The master cyl problem i havent started trouble shooting anymore yet, im waiting for my new discs and pad to arrive first, but i found out i can adjust the rod a bit, so i think it will be fine when i get everything back in its place, and then i can try to adjust it, hopefully it will work fine then, im still hoping to avoid taking the cylinder back off and have to bleed the entire system again..

Very Happy
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, W59 will not fit. Anything from W55/57/58 will not fit also. Only a W50 will do the trick.

Personally, I don't think you will find enough adjustment at the brake pedal to make up for the change in master cylinder piston travel.
I think you will have to bite the bullet and pull the new MC off and compare it against the old MC, to fix the problem. Good luck with it.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well a W55/6/7/8/9 could fit if you used a bellhousing from a 21/22R from say an RX60 Cressida... Wink
The W50 behind the 18R will also fit.

I'm making the assumption you have an 18R in your RX12 (and not a 12R).....
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again

well probably i end up having to pull the mc back out, but thats gonna be the last thing i do, but soon, thats all there is left to be done Very Happy

Well the reason why i thought the W59 might fit, is that it seems to have simular bellhousing to the W50,cept they have starters on diffrent sides, they look like they are both attached to the box identical, but its not so easy to see while theyr still in the cars. i thought i might be able to change bellhousings between them, are u sure this is not possible?
just have to make sure it doesnt fit before i pull out my w40 and buy another box

do you happen to know what engines the w59 will fit to, after changing bellhousings, without getting the bellhousings made.. if you know what i mean....
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 10:28

I'm making the assumption you have an 18R in your RX12 (and not a 12R).....

Do you have an 18R or a 12R?
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your Cressida box is W55 and with bellhousing from that Cressida you can use your W59(or the W55). Beware the ratios in W59!
My 1C did have W51 behind it, so you are sure that your diesel box is W59?
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

My engine is a 18R.

I dont know if my gearbox is W59, thats just stuff i read on some websites, that said 1c has a W59 gearbox.

If its W51, will it fit my 18R then?

W59 means its really a supra gearbox with diffrent bellhousing then?

How can i find out what my gearbox really is?

thanks again Very Happy
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Yep!

You can identify W51 and W59 from case material. 51 = iron and 59 = aluminium.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ta22lover wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 11:37

Hi

My engine is a 18R.

I dont know if my gearbox is W59, thats just stuff i read on some websites, that said 1c has a W59 gearbox.

W59 means its really a supra gearbox with diffrent bellhousing then?

How can i find out what my gearbox really is?

thanks again Very Happy

Goodo. Then you can use either gearbox as Jayem and myself have explained.
W51 steel case, W59 alloy case. If they are painted, use a magnet to identify the case material.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is your diesel box out of CA60 Carina or CE70 Corolla? (assumption Smile )
Either way, W51 does have shorter first gear and longer 5th compared to W50.
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

the box if from a 1981 carina.

hmmm now i got confused, i can use both w51 and w59 on the 18R?
or only W51?

or can i use my w59 too, but then i can only use bellhousing from cressida and not my old w40 bellhousing?

hmm wheres my magnet... im pretty sure its alu tho..

but no matter what i have to change bellhousing right?
how about the shifter, are they all the same or can i do something to move my old shifter to the new box?

thanks again for all ur help Very Happy
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i went outside to check now.

the bellhousing is alloy, the middle is iron, the rear is alloy..

so is it a w51 then?

Very Happy
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

the box if from a 1981 carina

sounds like T50 to me!
IIRC 1C was introduced 1983!!!
Or has somebody done some 1C swap to old Carina???
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes it's W51(or W50) but it aint originally from 1981 Carina.
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again

Yes ur right, i remembered wrong, the carina is actually 1983.

so that its iron in the middle means its w51, so i can just use the w40 bellhousing?

do they have the same length so i can use the same tailshaft?

Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61 /gearboxes.html
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks again

seems like my corona will be a 5speed tomorrow then.

will the high 5th gear ratio be a problem, or will it be just good to lay cruising on low rpms?

one last question, how about the speedo thingy, is it just to pull out the one i use now, and plug it into the w51 box?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worry, I'd be more annoyed about short first.
Speedo cable will just plug in but speedo itself might be inaccurate. You might need to change the gear thing that drives the cable. Search for this if in doubt. I go to sleep now, it's 5:40 for gods sake Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do i find the gear thing that runs the speedo? do i have to open the box? i guess i better just put in my speedo stuff from the w40 box then.

hmm just wondering how to get to it inside the box.

good nite and thanks for ur help Very Happy
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Corona Gearbox problems Fri, 13 May 2005 20:47 Go to previous message
Hi again

now i changed the speedo stuff and the bellhousing, so everything is ready to be put back into the car, but now i have another problem.

the gearbox crossmember is very diffrent attached to the box.

the old w40 cross member is mounted 26cm from the tail of the box and in, and the screws on the box sits very high.
the new w51 box has the crossmember mounted only 16cm from the tail and in, and its screws sits very low.

does anyone happen to know if there is a crossmember that i can use from something.. or do i have to make a new one from scratch?

the carina crossmember and the rubber gearbox mounts i may be able to use, the rubber on it looks good, but it has come loose from the buttom plate.. i guess it will be pressed down against that plate anyway, can i use them or should they be thrown away?

Confused
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZGTE Aftermarket ECU
Next Topic:Norbie? MA61 brakes onto a RA23...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:06:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063889026641846 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.