Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Thu, 12 May 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's with all these people coming on and arguing against the laws of physics? No No No

Whether someone's tried it or not dude, you can't change the fact that you've removed metal which is bad.
  Send a private message to this user    
opiate
Regular

June 2003
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Fri, 13 May 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, i'm doing an advanced diploma in mechanical engineering, and we do a fair lot of work on bolted/rivetted/welded connections. i'm not personally talking out of my arse.
my girlfriend's doing a double deg of aerospace and mechanical engineering, 4th year now... so i share fucking stupid ideas i hear on car forums with her, boy she cracked up hard.

so using your analogy of engine conversions... well, me telling you rivetting structural members together is a dumb idea, is the same as a mechanic telling you that you really shouldn't put a 2jz into a fiat niki.

ok?

and yeah, like justcallmefrank said, removing metal is bad.
welding adds metal = good.
drilling subtracts which is bad.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 May 2005 00:25]

EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Fri, 13 May 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ninja_86 wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 09:24

so i take it every one here is speculating and no one has acctually tried it....so i guess it is kinda like telling someone how to do an engine conversion that you have never done

when you do an engine conversion you do research right?...so you did research riveting before you did it right?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Fri, 13 May 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK Ninga, no need to get emotional about it.

Now for everyones benefit.....

Interpitching the spot welds as you have done is not going to compromise the chassis like many have suggested.

Will it be an improvement. Yes, interpitching the fasteners where you have will make a stronger joint.

Is it necessary - probably not. You would see orders of magnitude improvement in chassis stiffness with a decent strut brace.

The problem is not joint stiffness but basic geometry of the panels. Now if you wanted to increase the panel stiffness by cladding the inner guard with another layer of steel then that would be good also.

I have never seen a car where the spot welds on a strut tower have failed, so what makes you think you need a stronger joint there.

Seam welding is benefitial in areas like the sills and pillars because you are better closing the box section of the members thus making them stiffer. I am unconvinced that adding joint stiffness to a lap joint such as the strut tower will do anything.

Moral of the story. Chassis "strengthening" is good when necessary ie if things are cracking. Chassis "stiffening" is good for all circumstances (well maybe not crash cases - thats why they have crumple zones).

Remember Joint strength does not necessarily equal stiffness.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Fri, 13 May 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and rivets aren't evil, they're good when used appropriately. and bad when unappropriate.

And stop pushing the "removing metal is bad" line. Thats about the equivalent of someone saying my V8 goes faster than your jap crap cos it's a V8 and yours doesn't.
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Fri, 13 May 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just weld it ffs.

http://img178.exs.cx/img178/4945/welds9hn.jpg
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Fri, 13 May 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is all "riverting" stuff. Laughing
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Fri, 13 May 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
removing metal, per se, isnt bad, its the hole, AKA Mr 'stress riser' that the hole leaves behind which is bad hmmkhay...

$10 says i can tell you where the body will rip apart when force is applied to it Nod
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Fri, 13 May 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm....god knows i want to stay out of this shit storm but sometimes one does stupid things without sense or reason...

im not sure if u guys are aware but if u have seen pics of the inside of Hibino Tetsuyas car the whole thing is seam welded and riveted like crazy....if i had a scanner i would post the pic but otherwise its in issue 5 of DB...

Now im not saying that it worx or doesent but if D1 drivers are doing it i think there has to be some reason behind it right? Rolling Eyes

Either way you would have to be doing something pretty nuts to "shear" your car on the "weaker" points of drilled holes..

bah

Adam

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Fri, 13 May 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a lot of people are posting with not a huge amount of knowledge of the situation. I'll admit I don't know much about it, but things like this are always complicated. If they weren't why would Toyota employ a vast horde of body engineers to design their car bodies.

It'll depend on how the areas between the spot welds are stressed. Are they in tension, compression, shear, a combination??

Hen
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Fri, 13 May 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welding looks better!

The theory of pop-riveting is nice, too bad it's very flawed.
opiate
Regular

June 2003
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Fri, 13 May 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed's on the right track.

re: D1 drivers... their budgets are usually flexible enough that if they fuck a chassis, they can just go get another.

i hardly see the parallel between saying removing metal is bad, and saying a V8 is better than a jap 4banger.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Fri, 13 May 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibinos car also has yellow windows Rolling Eyes
Some things in the D1 are done purely for attention and show, and i daresay if they have reinforced the car with welds then riveting is probably one of them.
Dont get me wrong, it looks cool when done properly (i.e. straight lines...)
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Fri, 13 May 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joel, thats fully hetic bro

i agree, just weld it you slackers
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sat, 14 May 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm. I'm thinking that a D1 car is gonna need replacement panels regularly. Thats a great reason not to weld them on.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sat, 14 May 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 wrote on Sat, 14 May 2005 10:19

Hmmm. I'm thinking that a D1 car is gonna need replacement panels regularly. Thats a great reason not to weld them on.

From the photos i have seen of Hibinos car (the one with pop rivets) the chassis is seam welded, the panels are still bolted on. Rivets are placed along the chassis seams.

Why in hell would you weld your panels on? NO structural force travels through them.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sat, 14 May 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
short of the doors and hatch, everypanel aft of the firewall is structural as is the front inner guards, radiator support, crossmember etc.

I don't recall enyone suggesting that the front guards should be riveted on...... Rolling Eyes
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sat, 14 May 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, im no aerospace engineer, but i seem to recollect that aircraft feuselages (spelling) etc. are designed to flex a fair amount, ( at least the last old Qantas heap i was in was flexing like Arnolds biceps )yet a cars chassis should be on the stiffer side, so applying the theory that "if its good for aeroplanes, its good for my car" doesnt add up.

On the other hand, I might be full of shite,

Bah
Redwarf
Regular

February 2005
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sat, 14 May 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, I feel as an aircraft engineer, I may be of use here.

Aircraft are held together by solid rivets. Not pops. You bang them in with a rivet gun on one side, and a steel dolly on the other. We do use a type of pop rivet called a cherry rivet, but the shank stays behind and they're over $1 each just for the little 1/8th ones. Working/ loose rivets usually leave a black smudge around the rivet. Evidence of loose rivet best removed with a damp cloth. Wink

Quote:

Cool1 wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 07:48

Rally/track cars should not get seam welded at all. If you want do do a cheap job you stitch weld. If you want to do the job correctly, you fit a full cage.......

If you get a decent full cage fitted there will not be any stress loading on the body at all.

You've obviously never owned a serious rally car before. No amount of roll cage will save an un-seam welded floorpan if you land on a rock, or bang it too hard through a causeway. A smart car builder does both. For the added time it takes, it's cheap insurance. I have "decent full cages" in both my rally cars, and it still doesn't save them from pulling the odd seam. The seam welding slows it down though. If you break one weld, it generally stops at the next. IMHO pop rivets will be less effective than the spot welds, both in shear and tension loads, however, they MAY provide some increase in rigidity, right up to the moment you hit something, then you'll have wished you'd seam welded it.

Quote:

I have never seen a car where the spot welds on a strut tower have failed, so what makes you think you need a stronger joint there.

Well, I have. My old rally car let go on the strut towers before I finally got off my fat proverbial and massaged it back into shape and seam welded it. Holds fine now. It's all horses for courses. What do you want to do with the car? If you want to pose, have all the gear and no idea, you're wasting your time and energy. If you're planning on putting the car through all shades of hell, it's a bloody good idea. Like roll cages really.

Hope this helps!

[Updated on: Sun, 15 May 2005 03:10]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sat, 14 May 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had several cracks and case of welds coming appart at the seams in my black ae86. a good thing i started afresh with a new shell really!
Redwarf
Regular

February 2005
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sat, 14 May 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Sat, 14 May 2005 23:52

Hey, im no aerospace engineer, but i seem to recollect that aircraft feuselages (spelling) etc. are designed to flex a fair amount, ( at least the last old Qantas heap i was in was flexing like Arnolds biceps )yet a cars chassis should be on the stiffer side, so applying the theory that "if its good for aeroplanes, its good for my car" doesnt add up.

On the other hand, I might be full of shite,

Bah

Build a 100ft long AE86, and then see what flex is! Wink

If a Toyota was built as solid as a Boeing, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sat, 14 May 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Redwarf wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 00:18

Quote:

takai wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 09:45

Cool1 wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 07:48

Rally/track cars should not get seam welded at all. If you want do do a cheap job you stitch weld. If you want to do the job correctly, you fit a full cage.

I would be seriously iffy about just fitting a full cage without stitch welding. It is pretty likely that once you have a full cage that the minor amounts of flex in the car will break the stock spot welds holding the car together. Indeed ive seen a few cracks in the rear half of my car with the half cage but no stitch welding.

Needless to say ill be stitch welding quite soon now.

If you get a decent full cage fitted there will not be any stress loading on the body at all.

You've obviously never owned a serious rally car before. No amount of roll cage will save an un-seam welded floorpan if you land on a rock, or bang it too hard through a causeway. A smart car builder does both. For the added time it takes, it's cheap insurance. I have "decent full cages" in both my rally cars, and it still doesn't save them from pulling the odd seam. The seam welding slows it down though. If you break one weld, it generally stops at the next. IMHO pop rivets will be less effective than the spot welds, both in shear and tension loads, however, they MAY provide some increase in rigidity, right up to the moment you hit something, then you'll have wished you'd seam welded it.

I agree entirely. I think you were trying to quote Cool1 there. Our old KE35 rally car had a 8" wide dent in the floorpan from a hefty branch on the track when we came barrelling along. Was about 6" from one of the seams and the stitch welding only came apart in the one point. We were able to get the car back to service, and then bash it out with a large hammer and re-weld.

I was thinking about it today, and i realised i have seen teams use rivets in holding panels together after a serious dent mid stage. But they are used in service, and only as a last resort to keep some structural integrity in the seam, and they were always gone by the next rally.

Oh yeah, and one of the scariest things ive seen in a while was a U12 Pintara strut tower which was forcibly ripped off the chassis and went through the bonnet. Thankfully it was only a khanacross/rallysprint car.
Redwarf
Regular

February 2005
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Correct, my apologises for the confusion, I'm not real computer literate.

R
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man you people are getting more and more picky about the smallest things every day.
I didn't mention anything about rocks, logs, dead people or anything the like. I was talking about cages being used to make car chassis ridged.
But if you want to start talking about under body strength to stop the above causing damage, maybe you should be looking at some under body protection Rolling Eyes
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirty_Sanchez wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 11:36

this is all "riverting" stuff. Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

literally LOL there.
Redwarf
Regular

February 2005
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edit: Deleted most of the message due to the fact that arguing on the internet is a pointless excerise, however:

As for....
Quote:

But if you want to start talking about under body strength to stop the above causing damage, maybe you should be looking at some under body protection

Thanks, I can't imagine how I've been competing all these years without it.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 May 2005 05:04]

squeak
Regular

November 2002
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To my thinking there are four ways the strengthen a car chassis for motorsport use from the the most time consuming to the easist.
1.silver solder all seams ,very expensive/huge time
2.bronze weld all seams,cheaper /still huge time
3.mig weld all seams add roll cage either custom built or overcounter (brown davis or bond bars).
4. tig weld all seams adding strengthing plates as you go and on ae86 these are found on front chassis rails to firewall and top of front rails where guards bolt to chassis near opening to firewall plenum 6 to 8 inches foreward of top door hinge bolt holes,another place that neeeds strength is the top rear link locations on main body of car(these tend to pull out under constant use as the suspension binds up.
items 3 and 4 only vary to the use of tig or mig.

number 2 would be my preferred way to start a competition car.then add custom cage
number 3 the easist
the Sydney harbour bridge was built with rivets???????????????
squeak
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Redwarf wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 14:24

Edit: Deleted most of the message due to the fact that arguing on the internet is a pointless excerise, however:

As for....
Quote:

But if you want to start talking about under body strength to stop the above causing damage, maybe you should be looking at some under body protection

So you have under body protection, but you have trouble with damaging floor pans Rolling Eyes Yeah ok...pffft
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 17:10

So you have under body protection, but you have trouble with damaging floor pans Rolling Eyes Yeah ok...pffft

No, im the one who has damaged the floorpan in our old juniors rally car. Tends to be that when you are 15yo and get the hand-me-down rally car you dont have any money for luxuries like underbody protection. The most we had was a 5mm thick steel sump plate.
Redwarf
Regular

February 2005
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

As for....
Quote:

Look, I've tried to be nice, but lets face it, your extensive rallying background comes from where?

[Updated on: Sun, 15 May 2005 08:44]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 17:34

No, im the one who has damaged the floorpan in our old juniors rally car. Tends to be that when you are 15yo and get the hand-me-down rally car you dont have any money for luxuries like underbody protection. The most we had was a 5mm thick steel sump plate.

Your cool mate. Its the other dork with the mysterious underbody protection that doesnt do a damm thing.
Redwarf
Regular

February 2005
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All good. Back to topic.. Wink
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i have an issue to raise

what is the consensus about the road worthyness of mr poprivet's car when it goes for its next blueslip?

has he effectively turned his car into an unroadworthy hunk of steel?

looking at the pic of the strut tower i can almost feel the rust forming under those rivets *shudder*.
Redwarf
Regular

February 2005
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He lives in Qld. We don't have to do ridiculous crap like blue slips up here.... Very Happy

It is, however, an interesting question...

[Updated on: Sun, 15 May 2005 09:53]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah ninja86 lives in Adelaide *sigh* where again there are no compulsory slips Sad
ninja_86
Regular

January 2005
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why the sigh?
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Sun, 15 May 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speaking of mig welder's, im going to need one for a week, can someone lend me there's, ill pay cash!!
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Seam riveting an AE86 Mon, 16 May 2005 06:33 Go to previous message
ninja_86 wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 08:19

why the sigh?

probably cause it means there are thousands of super-dodgy cars getting around.
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:89 corolla CS Twin Cam. Body Kits???
Next Topic:part number for 20V water pump needed urgently
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:36:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010109901428223 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.