Toymods » Members Rides » Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 30 January 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if they were one size bigger i would need a new change of underwear... Razz
but yeah they look nice man!
  Send a private message to this user    
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 30 January 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I look up to people like u Joel.
Very very nice indeed.

I hope that one day my 28 is as neat as urs.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Mon, 31 January 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not even 1 week and the diff is rooted. The ring gear has pre-maturely worn for some reason. Lack or oil.. Dodgy diff build.. Who knows..

Trying desperately now to find a 3.9:1 F series diff.. Anyone know of one?

On a more positive note.. Here is a pic of things to come Smile Smile

http://img170.exs.cx/img170/3339/3sheadon9wa.jpg
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 01 February 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude that engine is longer than the door on your car, are you sure it's gonna fit??
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 01 February 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its shorter than the 3t-gte by 4cm Smile
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sat, 05 February 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey joel have you done a test run with the camera yet?? was thinking i might make up a mount like that for my car, depending on how stable youve found it?? seeing as it looks such a good design and all Smile
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 06 February 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate with the diff dramas I sadly haven't been able to test out the camera mount. I've now got a 4.1 ( Crying or Very Sad ) diff in there with the torsen centre so that'll do. I can now get back to my camera mount Smile

I took your advice and grabbed some rubber to put between the camera and mount. I'll be trying it in the next few days so will tell you how it goes.

Cheers
Joel
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Mon, 07 February 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geees the 3S is coming along quick, good work!
why the disappoint,emt with the 4.1 centre instead of a 3.9?
i was talking to a guy last week with a 1ggte ra23 that reckens his car felt gutless as with his new 3.9 in there, and that it hammered with the old 4.1
and once again, dam i love your car!
jcmunga
Regular

November 2004
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 08 February 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
must say im a big fan. Cool
also is there any chance of gettign specs and pics on what ya did for the rack and pinion conversion. would be very keen to try it on mine
jesse
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 08 February 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Michael, the camera mount works really well! Tested it out tonight. Some of the recording was pretty average as the camera freaked out when there was street lights or on coming traffic. Seemed to go out of focus. But this is nothing to do with mount of course.

Picture is quite steady and not much vibration. I locked the seatbelt against the seat to help hold the seat in place also.

I am pretty annoyed though because I totally killed a SS commodore and thought I had the whole thing on tape... Nope.. must have missed the record button dammit now I got no proof haha. Oh well...

Jess mate the 3.9 difif just seemed to get the turbo spooling up really hard. Also was nicer on the freeway. The 4.1 is fine though, have to get through the gears pretty damn quick but its good for the twisty roads Smile

I can put the R&P info here, but there is a MASSIVE thread on toymods of when I did the conversion and I updated it not long ago with some changes I made. That has all the info needed. If you want pics of the xmember I can e-mail them to you. But pics dont show much, the write up explains a lot more.

Cheers
Joel
jcmunga
Regular

November 2004
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 08 February 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah pics would be good, most of the early ones in your thread arnt working. jcmunga@hotmail.com

can it only be done with the front sump cross member, this may be a prob for me since i have a 1g with rear sump in. may have to look into a front sump for the 1g.

im very interested in doin this but have no idea at all what to do or where to start
jesse

[Updated on: Wed, 09 February 2005 00:09]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Wed, 09 February 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've emailed you some pics. You do need a frontsump setup with a TA23 xmember.

Cheers
Joel
jcmunga
Regular

November 2004
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Wed, 09 February 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers mate
jcmunga
Regular

November 2004
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Wed, 09 February 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pm sent so i dont fill up the thread
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Thu, 12 May 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a link to some pics from a recent Wakefield event I went to..

http://img28.imageshack.us/gal.php?c=50e897fd9313a 43adbf5ad3f4b5bc86b&g=prev17yb.jpg

Best run was 1.19 which I was quite happy with.

The car performed really well and had no real complaints. The rear springs need to be a bit firmer I think as it felt like too much weight was moving to the rear and in some hard corners in the pictures it looked like the inside front wheel was almost getting picked up.

So before the next Wakefield day I'd like to have the rear springs changed for some 3kg ones or there abouts. I think the current King springs are around 2kg. So that should be a 35% increase in rate.

Thats about it really.. The 3S is moving along at a snails pace but will get there one day.

Cheers
Joel

BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Fri, 13 May 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats one sweet celica! i like the enki's over the 5 spoke hands down Very Happy
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Fri, 20 May 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel,

Really niiiiiice work !

I have a soft spot for the RA28 and the colour and wheels really set it off and i love the tidy engine bay Wink .

Its good to see you using it on the track and a 1:19 at Wakefield is quite respectable. Have you been to Oran Park ?
If you like wakefield you will love oran Park GP.

When will you next be at either Wakefield or Kiama would love to see the car.

Regards
Mitchee
Regular

December 2003
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Mon, 13 June 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great Celica.

Ive been following your 3S thread since the start of the year and ive been pondering doing the same, since ive got 2S motors sitting around and a Corona just begging for a new heart. Very Happy

What are you doing with the 3T once the 3S goes in? Sell it to me?

Cheers.
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 21 June 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sick RA28 Joel... That thing is clean as anything!

Personally I liked the original wheels you had on it, what happened to that set? They were sweet. I've actually put two pictures of your car on the last page of my Cardomain - Classic cars that I love.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 21 June 2005 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the comments all Smile

The 3T will be sold once the 3S is finished.. The way i'm going wont be until around Christmas though.

Each to their own I guess on wheels Smile seems a very personal thing haha.
But the old wheels, the ROH's I sold to a mate running a AE86/3SGE in improved production. He then passed them onto someone in QLD I think and recently I saw them for sale again! They have become quite slutty wheels since I sold them. Getting onto everyones car Surprised

I'm taking it down to Wakefield again this Friday! Hopefully improve on my times from the last day down there.

I put a new set of rotors on as the old ones were warped and made for quite poor braking off the straight at Wakefield.

Cheers
Joel

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sat, 25 June 2005 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How did you get on a wakefield??
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 28 June 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate pretty average! Sad

Forces were against me I think.. Firstly I started to feel pretty sick on the way down there Thurday night. Woke up Friday feeling worse and didn't really have the energy to spend out on the track.

Got to the track and it was drizzling and really wet. Didn't start drying up until around 10.30 - 11am.

So went out for awhile then.. But yeah was all a bit average.. felt sick, RA28 wanted to understeer badly into every hard corner, then an intercooler pipe blew off.. That was enough for me and went home early.

Spent the rest of the weekend in bed trying to get over the flu.

So was a bit disappointing!

The new rotors felt much better, nice being able to hit the brakes and not have the steering wheel shake around everywhere.

I think understeering problem might just be the tyres are a bit average after their last visit to the track. I doubt i'll go down again without a decent set of semi-slicks.

Cheers
Joel

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 28 June 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hope your feeling better now mate, sorry to hear that the wekend was dissapointing. I know how you feel there, but at least the car got you home again. We both know what it's like to give em a hard time and be thanked with failure on the return journey.

It would be interesting to see what slics would do for your times too. You would need to try them before the engine transplant to really compare though. hmmm too many things to spread the budget over hey.

Any more photos taken from Wakefield?????

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Thu, 14 July 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Small update...

I'm planning on getting some good tyres for use just on the track so have been looking for another set of rims.

After trying on my mates RS-8's and loving the look of it I've had my heart set on these.

Finally found 2 RS-8's for a good price! 8000y. + shipping of course but still not bad.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/4880/starhouse6119img600x4501119500.jpg

Just gotta hunt around for another 2 now.. Seems on yahoo japan you can always find pairs of wheels so shouldn't have too many problems.

I'll run the RS-8's on the RA28 all the time, and put the racing tyres on the Enkei's just for track days.

Been too busy to touch the 3S lately, but hope this weekend to find some time.

Cheers
Joel
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Thu, 28 July 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dude... what model is your celica? ST, LT, GT??? your dash is heaps different to mine, what's the 3 large gauges for? speedo, tacho, and clock???

10 outta 10 for the work... looks hawt as Very Happy
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Fri, 29 July 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate, was just a LT.

I've replaced all the guages apart from speedo with aftermarket ones.

I have oil pressure, water temp, fuel, volts, boost & tacho.

If I did it again i'd stay away from white faced guages though. They reflect sunlight into your eyes something shocking.

I'll change for a nice basic set of VDO guages down the track.

Cheers
Joel
mcostalos
Regular

February 2005

Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Fri, 29 July 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey buddy. Do you have a translator for Yahoo Japan, or do you speak fluent Japanese?

Just wondering how you bought something of there.

Thanks,
Michael
TA23-MBZQ-NNR
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Wed, 17 August 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Hey buddy. Do you have a translator for Yahoo Japan, or do you speak fluent Japanese?

Just wondering how you bought something of there.

Thanks,
Michael

try http://babelfish.altavista.com/ for language translation. gives some funny wording as it is literal.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Thu, 18 August 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just use google language translator. Does the job ok.

Here is a pic of the 3sgte progress.. Inlet and turbo just playing with ideas and positioning in that picture.. That isn't actually the design of the inlet.

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/6203/enginewithtrialinletandturbo0o.jpg

Cheers
Joel

[Updated on: Thu, 18 August 2005 05:00]

h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Thu, 18 August 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that turbo looks mighty small in there!
what is it?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Thu, 18 August 2005 05:34 Go to previous message
Yeah turbo looks tiny doesn't it.. I'm a bit concerned it is going to be undersized..

It is a greddy/trust td05-16g with the 8cm rear housing.

These are meant to be good for a bit over 320hp. Which is around the figure I want. This equals approx 180rwkw if my calculations are correct.

Just looks way too small sitting there.

Anyway we'll see.. If it does prove to be too small, you can quite easily and cheaply upgrade the front compressor wheel to a 18g.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 August 2005 05:42]

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:The Witzl's new car. UZS131 Crown
Next Topic:1977 RA28 Toyota celica - The Great Rebuild
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 04:21:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007011890411377 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.