Toymods » General Car Talk » Rim Size Limits - Guidlines and engineering

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Rim Size Limits - Guidlines and engineering Fri, 13 May 2005 00:11 Go to next message
-- Ok this is one thing I finally want to understand..

Regarding increasing rims sizes on ur car. (diameter not width is all Im worrying about here)

I always believed that the rim size could be increased 2" over the stock size....

but

I then I was told (cant remember where/who) that you can increase the rim diameter as much as u like..providing that the tyre profile dosnt increase over 2" from the stock total diameter including rim/tyres...??

(this makes sense to me in some ways)

as on my car I have 16" rims with 45 profile rubber...the total diameter is just a fraction smaller than the stock rim/rubber combo..(stock rims are 13")

so is this the case or does it only apply to the rim size increase???

and lastly.... if it is only the rim increase. can bigger rims that go over the 2" limit be engineered??

any help answerig these Q's would be greatly appreciated...
need to clear the confusion once and for all..
thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Rim Size Limits - Guidlines and engineering Fri, 13 May 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRFT - 86 wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 10:11

I then I was told (cant remember where/who) that you can increase the rim diameter as much as u like..providing that the tyre profile dosnt increase over 2" from the stock total diameter including rim/tyres...??

This is fully correct. However i'm not 100% sure about the 2". I think its only 15mm!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rim Size Limits - Guidlines and engineering Fri, 13 May 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spoke to an engineer about this a couple of weeks ago.

You and shane are right - rim diameter can be as much as you like, as long as your rolling diameter doesn't increase too much (mine was less than a 1% change, so I didn't care what exactly the figure was)

for cars under a certain weight (about 1000kg?) you can only go 1" increase in width. for cars over this weight, you can go 1" increase, or 2" with an eng certificate. remember all these values are over the *largest* rims that came on your car from the factory.
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: Rim Size Limits - Guidlines and engineering Fri, 13 May 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u guys are champs.........I bow down.....thank you...thats just what I needed to hear....
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Rim Size Limits - Guidlines and engineering Fri, 13 May 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you guys sure you're not confusing the allowable track change (which I believe is 1") with the tyre with change?

As far as I know you can go as wide as you want so long as the track stays within 1" of factory and the tyres do not foul on anything within the range of steering / suspension movement.
Or stick out of the gaurds.

Also I think the ADR about rim plus sizing mainly mentions tyre rolling diameter and says that rolling diameter must be within +/- 1 profile from your factory rolling diameter.
Nothing I can remember reading in the ADR's about the size of the actual rim.

I'll dig up the relevant ADR's and post them up in a bit.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Rim Size Limits - Guidlines and engineering Fri, 13 May 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn WA rules state nothing wider than 7" unless car comes with wider than 7".
And you can't have different sizes front and rear.
And you can't increase track by more than 25mm

But this will hopefully be changing in the future, to something based on original tyre width.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Rim Size Limits - Guidlines and engineering Fri, 13 May 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VSI 09 - Guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres (Nov 2003)

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/v si/vsi09_rev4.pdf

Track can be up to 25mm wider
Tyre width can be 26mm wider
Tyre diameter must be within 15mm

Remember that this is just a "Guide" to alternative wheels... you're safe to change things yourself without an engineers certificate so long as they are within the boundaries of the guide.
Beyond that ask your engineer for a more accurate view on what you can do.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Rim Size Limits - Guidlines and engineering Fri, 13 May 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those with wheels outside of the guide and without an engineers certificate might want to invest in a replacement tyre plaquard from Toyota Very Happy

PS There is nothing in that guide relating to rim diameter that I can see.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 May 2005 05:34]

DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: Rim Size Limits - Guidlines and engineering Fri, 13 May 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers Toobs....

Ive had that idea in my head for a while about getting a different/replacement plaquard.
How can u get them with different specs to ur factory one...

(order one from another model with bigger stock measurements ect..?)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rim Size Limits - Guidlines and engineering Fri, 13 May 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just get one from a JZA80 - 8" width factory Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 13 May 2005 16:39]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Rim Size Limits - Guidlines and engineering Sat, 14 May 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most tyre shops will have a book showing all of the different makes / models of car and their factory sizes.
Just ask if you can browse said book to find a Toyota with appropriately sized wheel / tyre sizing then go to Toyota and order yourself that tyre plaquard.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Rim Size Limits - Guidlines and engineering Sat, 14 May 2005 00:08 Go to previous message
Doesnt the plaquard have the car details on them?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Thoughts on MA6x digi dash vs RA6x/GA6x analog one?
Next Topic:Shed Space in Brisbane Needed
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:51:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053548812866211 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.