Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » testing o2 sensor? (1JZ)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

testing o2 sensor? (1JZ) Thu, 12 May 2005 08:38 Go to next message
is there a way i can test my o2 sensor for accuracy/condition, to see if it needs replaceing or not while the car is off the road and the sensor is out of the exhaust system. does it give voltage signal corresponding to amount of o2 sensored? how does it work?

also is there any problem with relocating the o2 sensor further down the exhaust system, i wouldnt think so its just measuring o2 not temps so unless the mixture is somehow being diluted before the sensor ie. exhaust leak, there should be no problem eh?

Cheers.

long story short, twin dump pipes on a 1jz, no o2 bracket on the dumps.

Send a private message to this user    
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: testing o2 sensor? (1JZ) Thu, 12 May 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In short - no you can't test it out of the car.
Have a read of http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/engine_2_21.htm .
O2 sensors rely on being heated by exhaust gas to work properly. Ours have an inbuilt heater when there isn't enough exhaust flow to keep them up to temperature.

Mine is located well after the dumps and *seems* to work, ie I get a varying voltage with the engine running off idle. That said it hasn't yet been in the car - so I don't know if it will be ok.

Regards

Peter
cressTT
Occasional Poster

December 2002

Re: testing o2 sensor? (1JZ) Thu, 12 May 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i remembered testing a non heated 02 sensor using a blow torch. U dont actually apply heat directly to the o2 element..just about 3~5 cm near it. Hook a digital voltmeter, set it to 2 VDC and it should read between .01 vdc to 1.5 vdc

also you can test it on the car but you need to tap the signal wire going to the ECU. With the car warmed up, u can either tap at the diagnostic box at the 02 terminal using a voltmeter setup as above. If the car is in close loop, the voltage reading should fluctuate rapidly between .01 vdc to .9 vdc. If it fluctuate slowly (say one time in a second) then it could be the o2 being lazy or your voltmeter not able to get and display data as fast as the o2 sensor can churn.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: testing o2 sensor? (1JZ) Thu, 12 May 2005 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can blowtorch it, but much simpler/better to check it with the car running - they're not hard to change. Stick a wideband in the exhaust, keep an eye on mixtures, otherwise, voltmeter, and make sure it moves rapidly, and isn't lazy.
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: testing o2 sensor? (1JZ) Thu, 12 May 2005 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow great info thanks guys.

someone told me that a bad o2 sensor can have significant negative effects on fuel consumption, so naturally when it was out of the car it got me thinking how i can test to see if its rat-shit or not. interesting they need temperature to work, makes sense tho.

my auto electrician informed me the wires inbetween to sensor itself and the plug are stainless steel and cannot be soldered, so im guessing you need to extend the lead pre-plug to gain length...?

anyone know what a o2 sensor is worth off the top of their head?

i actually have great fuel economy (as far as im concerned (400 - 450km city driving) so i think ill just leave the sensor alone for now.

what kills a o2 sensor?

Cheers again.

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: testing o2 sensor? (1JZ) Fri, 13 May 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, a dicky but still functioning O2 sensor can still send signals to the ECU in the 0.01 to 0.99 volt range, not throw a CEL code and make the ECU adjust the mixture all over the place not representative of what the actual O2 content is in the exhaust gases.
Take yourself over to the "Autoshop101" site, and read the tech article on 02 (closed loop) sensors for the nitty gritty on how they work.

I can't comment on the stainless steel wiring, its news to me, but does not mean its not true. You should be able to buy a sensor the same length as your current one.

Cost can run from $50 new to over $300 OEM. Search eBay for 02 sensors and get an idea on price.

If your economy is that good right now your sensor is fine, don't touch it.

Rich running over long periods kills a sensor, some additives in gasket goo can kill a sensor. Dropping the engine on its sensor can kill it also.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: testing o2 sensor? (1JZ) Fri, 13 May 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And just while I think of it, don't dismiss the ACA 02 sensors as some cheaper generic product.....while I have not seen a 4 wire Toyota suitable ACA 02 sensor the local parts place just showed me their single wire type, and lo and behold, it is a DENSO unit, as stamped on the sensor body itself......
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: testing o2 sensor? (1JZ) Fri, 13 May 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 1jz oxy sensor is $80 from toyota so im told, i have a dicky one atm and will enquire on a direct price
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: testing o2 sensor? (1JZ) Fri, 13 May 2005 07:10 Go to previous message
Don't doubt you but it sounds cheap after I was quoted $306 for a genuine one for my 1988 1G-GZE motor, and that was just a single wire one, not the 4 wire type unit that you will need.

Let us know what you find out. Thanks.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:OMFG wrong ecu?
Next Topic:z32 5 stud calipers and rotors on mx73
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:53:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052230358123779 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.