Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
opasan
Regular

October 2004
3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics... Fri, 18 March 2005 07:10 Go to next message
hey,

i just finished a 3sgte conversion on a 90 model celica and it goes great, but the last 2 times i have taken it for a spin in the begining it boosts normally and den it wnt boost at all it get to about 3grand and just keeps like retarding, wat could be wrong.

Could it be the stock exhaust off the 5sfe or that i dnt have a hood scoop to get air to the cooler.... PLZ HELP

CHEERS

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2005 01:17]

Send a private message to this user    
opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Fri, 18 March 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ohh i 4got to add that when i turn it off and let it rest for about 5 mins it runs normal again..... and im running standard boost so its not that fuel cut thing...
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Fri, 18 March 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its possible you intake air temp is getting too hot... wether the ecu does chuck a wobbly for it being 'too' hot, im not sure.

try driving with the bonnet off Smile cheapest way to test.
opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Fri, 18 March 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me and the mechanic guy tried it once with the hood off and exhaust off, rite b4 i hade the dump pipe made and it flew and der was no problems.

but the thing is its done it only the last 2 days when it has been cold and rainy in my area.so ye. could der be any other probs?
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Fri, 18 March 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure if you have a boost guage, but if not, it could be overboosting... like the hose to the wastegate actuator maybe leaking or fallen off Confused not sure....
opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Fri, 18 March 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol...

i have a boost gauge, just not installed lol...

umm.. ill put it in tomoorow or something and see if its overboosting.

if not then i will return it to my mechanic and demand repairs as i still have warranty

cheers champ (ViPeR_NiPPleX)
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Mon, 21 March 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds like the engine is pingning and the knock sensor is pulling timing and boost out.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Mon, 21 March 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also a thought, did you guys upgrade the fuel pump while you were there? im with joshstix on this one, the ecu is detecting pinging and is pulling the boost and timing back big time. due to possibly lack in fuel.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 March 2005 01:07]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Mon, 21 March 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i notice your looking for a Gt4 bonnet ..

are you rinning the intercooler mounted up front or still under the stock SX bonnet ??

that could be causing the " OMG too hot retardation "

PS if you want a Gt4 bonnet - PM me - as ill have one for sale very soon ( also where are you from ?)

* just noticed you still are - those intercoolers demand the Gt4 bonnet if still topmounted dude - so yeah - if your keen - message me asap *

[Updated on: Mon, 21 March 2005 01:45]

opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Wed, 23 March 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm...

no we didnt upgrade the fuel pump.. $$$$
but since we put the engine in, i now have to have the car on contact for (5-10secs) it to start properly, so maybe fuel pump.

the hood is a problem, but it wouldnt den explain why it does it sometimes when its cold....

lol
it choses the best time to fuk up, got beaten by a friend in a old old peugeout that i used to beat wit the 5sfe..

cheers

ohh Classique71 pm sent

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Thu, 24 March 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon that 3SGTE is living on borrowed time.

Get a decent fuel pump in the car, get some airflow to the IC and put it on a dyno to see what the A/F ratios are doing.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Thu, 24 March 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed - no fule + super heatsoak = prty dead 3sgte soon ..

id suggest not racing it either while in your current state - or else that borrowed timeframe will become even shorter ..

opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Sat, 26 March 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i gots a shit scoop and put it on today....

and i also installed the boost gauge... now i defently think somethin is worng coz in first 2 gears it only gets 3pounds boost and in 3rd its 5pounds.

wat could be probs.. now lol?
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Sat, 26 March 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
opasan wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 17:37

well i gots a shit scoop and put it on today....

and i also installed the boost gauge... now i defently think somethin is worng coz in first 2 gears it only gets 3pounds boost and in 3rd its 5pounds.

wat could be probs.. now lol?

jebo te jel si ti opasan lol, speak to 10sex_rx7 on these forums, or someone here might know Smile.
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Sat, 26 March 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you got a thermostat It may be that the engine is not getting to operating temp as you said it does it when it's cold and rainy The ECU will also holds boost to (low) if the engine is below operating temp .

Trevor
opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Sat, 26 March 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm,

ill give it a check tomorow, but the boost should work properly if its a proper temp yeah... i'll have a look tomorw and ill get back to it...

lol,je sam opasan:P:P

cheers
opasan
Regular

October 2004
icon4.gif  Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now wit Pics Thu, 12 May 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've taken some pics of what i reckon are the problems and ye...
dnt laugh....ahhahah

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/opasan/problem1.jpg

ders somethin missing der

and

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/opasan/problem2.jpg

and i found this T piece wit nuffin atttached to it and it was sucking in air and making it run more ruff on idle... i put a screw in it but does any1 know where its meant to go...

cheers....and sorry to bring up an old thread but still havin troubles....

*edit*
still only boosting to 3-4 psi max and also i have added a good scoop to allow air to the intercooler
cheers again

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2005 01:39]

SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now wit Pics Thu, 12 May 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the first one is a vaccumm

http://netvigator.com/~ivan/images/92eng.jpg

2nd one I guess.. was for a boost gauge at one stage?
opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now wit Pics Thu, 12 May 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohh k...

so ill unplug where my boost gauge is now and plug it der as its simpler then connecting these to i guess....

but the vacum line.... is it important??? wat should i do in other words....

cheers..
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now wit Pics Thu, 12 May 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you still want my bonnet - or are you going to source one locally ?

lemme know please - as it will be up for sale soon ( ie before the end of the month )
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics... Thu, 12 May 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The first one is nothing, forget that.
The second one is a vacuum hose, it looks like it should be connected to a boost gauge or something. Pluggin it up will be fine. Check all the vacuum lines coming off you manifold/TB/turbo/boost sensor and make sure they're all plugged in and not leaking or cracked. If one of those hoses is not plugged inproperly, there's gonna be dramas.
Good luck.
opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics... Thu, 12 May 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking to source one locally probs to much to pay for postage...

but thanks for the offer anyways....

umm, ye ill plug my boost gauge in there and see how it goes...

i've been checking most hoses and still can't find whats wrong with it....

will see what happens once i move my boost gauge hose till there
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now wit Pics Thu, 12 May 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
opasan wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 11:21

*edit*
still only boosting to 3-4 psi max and also i have added a good scoop to allow air to the intercooler
cheers again

Ok i had that problem, ended up being a air leak between the turbo and the throttle. things to look for are the rubber joiners, and the clamps. vacuum leak would also be a culprit as well. You got a boost gauge installed?

Its an airleak, and can be tedious to find. Turn the car on and listen for a hissing sound, if you can hear one its a vac leak. Otherwise, its proberbly a loose intake manifold which is only leaking under pressure.

Good hunting.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2005 07:25]

opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now wit Pics Thu, 12 May 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ye i got a boost gauge hooked up...

its a bitch finding where its coming from... checked everythin i reckon, but in the end its gona be somethin so simple and stupid dat i will probs destroy it wit a wrench and neva know how hard it really goes...

been tightening all the clamps n stuff, but now im scared that if i tighten them any more the hoses will split...

cheers
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics... Thu, 12 May 2005 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check the idle up vac lines going to the power steering pump. This is a common failure area.

Whats your idle like with your boostgauge?
opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics... Thu, 12 May 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm on idle it usually goes down to just below 0.5 of a bar and then later it sits exactly on 0.75 of a bar when its warm....

i'll check that hose a bit later, bloody rain in syd atm...

umm... ye just have a lot of shit that i need to search...

cheers
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics... Fri, 13 May 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have u upgraded the fuel pump yet, when i did my conversion it was running shit till i upgraded the fuel pump. It would not go past 4-5 psi till i upgraded the pump.
TRU32U
Regular

June 2004

Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics... Fri, 13 May 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with what your discribing i belive that its a ECU problem its not mapped properlly.
btw T peice dussnt realli matter in reality which hose goes hwhere n stuff cause its all the same as long as the hose fits.
ppl are gonna b arguing now about it but ive worked on so many cars and theres no issue about where the t peice sits n where its plugged.
but have the fuel system ecu remapped cause it sounds like its off.... by MILES!
opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics... Fri, 13 May 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i havnt upgraded the fuel pump... yet...lookin forward to gettin around to it....

umm ye probs gona get a different ecu, n stuff...

just waiting for some funds to clear up and ye..

how much did ur fuel pump upgrade cost u Draza.. and did it give u any benefits??

cheers
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics... Fri, 13 May 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
opasan wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 13:40

nah i havnt upgraded the fuel pump... yet...lookin forward to gettin around to it....

umm ye probs gona get a different ecu, n stuff...

just waiting for some funds to clear up and ye..

how much did ur fuel pump upgrade cost u Draza.. and did it give u any benefits??

cheers

I think the benefit was that his car would boost properly with it. Very Happy and i feel for u mate cause im having problems with my car boosting too Sad not being able to even run stock boost is a shit.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics... Fri, 13 May 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check it out, but im pretty sure fuel isn't an issue, my gen II 3sgte boosts to 14 psi fine with no fuel issues. Unless your fuel pump is screwed it should do the job.
I really think you just need to make sure you have no air leaks and it'll be fine.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics... Fri, 13 May 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cycleofabuse >i've heard when swapping a 5sfe with a 3sgte you have to upgrade the fuel pump. but in a st162 (3sge to 3sgte) the fuel pump should be fine. mine wasn't changed and it boosts fine.

Just a suggestion Question: what ignitor did you use in your swap?did u use the one from the 5sfe or a 3sgte one?

check here from more info. Smile

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t= 5675

You can get heaps of info off this site too.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics... Fri, 13 May 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can't remember the exact price but i think it was about $140 for the pump plus labor.
opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3sgte boosting up prob.. Now Wit Pics... Fri, 13 May 2005 11:47 Go to previous message
update...

umm i changed a couple of the hoses...
moved the boost gauge to where the other t-piece was...
and ye...

according to the boost gauge its boosting properly now...
havn't exactly felt more power, just smoother power on and its idle's way better...

also havnt experience the problem, with it retarding the boost... yet.. hopefully i won't...

heard alot of stuff bout the fuel pump, some ppl say its good for 400hp, but ye...

also found a hole in the hose that goes to the master cylinder, from the intake... need to change...

hopefully all is good now...

thanks every1
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Master Powers T70 turbo ebay
Next Topic:No Spark 1GGTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 13:33:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087060928344727 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.