Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
4agze starts then stalls Sun, 08 May 2005 09:26 Go to next message
I am haveing some major problems with getting my 4agze to run continuisly. It is a Bigport AFM version out of the AE92 corolla with DLI, so its has a Crank Angle sensor and Coil Packs, in place of the dizzy like the AW11 version.

I am about 99% sure I have all the wiring correct except for one section, and it is a major section.

At first the car would turn over but would not fire, it has no spark. as far as i can tell the coil packs work fine, the igniter is fine, but I am not sure on how the Crank angle sensor works. I belive this could be where my problem is coming from. How do you tell if you have one timed at TDC with the engine? and what kind of voltages should I be looking for down the lines, is one a power, one a ground, the other 2 pickups or what? there are 4 wires, the ecu pinout codes read G-, G1, G2, NE.

Since I didn't have spark I tried an AW11 gze ecu which uses a Distributor and single coil system, put a GE dizzy on it and gave that a go. the car then started, but 1 sec later stalled everytime. the AFM seems fine, as does the fuel. so does anybody have any suggestions on what could be causing this. the thing I can see it may be tha same cause as the first try, cause a GE dizzy only has 2 wires to the ecu, while a GZE AW11 dizzy has the same 4 as the crank angle sensor. because the ecu is not reciveing these pickoffs could that be why the car stalls? or any other things I should try and look for? Or does anybody know how I could fool the ecu about the extra pickup that the GE dizzy does not have?

Any help would be appriciated

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2005 09:37]

Send a private message to this user    
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Sun, 08 May 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on a dizzy, ones sync ones signal ones 12volt ones earth
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Sun, 08 May 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had this same problem about 2 weeks ago.. i know watever it was gunna be it owuld piss me off becuz it owuld be simple this might not be ur problem but could help.. the car had sat around for a while and when i turnd it over an dfired everything up the fuel was dead and it f*ked the spark plugs... so maybe try cleanin or buyin new plugs and replacin the fuel in the tank...

and if u dont have the sync and trigger connectd yes this would be why it is not runnin im 99% sure that they tell the ecu to turn injectors on , wat position it is at in its rotation etc

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2005 10:34]

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Sun, 08 May 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no that wouldn't be my problem, the fuel ain't that old and they are new plugs.

the thing is the GE dizzy only has the 2 wires coming out of it, what would these 2 most likely be, power and ground?
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Mon, 09 May 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my plugs were like 3 months old.. and i thoguth that too .. but it was just a suggestion.. if all else fails try that
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4agze starts then stalls Mon, 09 May 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure your fuel pump is staying on after it starts. You you crank, it sends signal to the fuel pump relay to pump for starting. But when you let go of the key when it starts, it will drop that signal. It's supposed to be picked up by some contacts in the AFM which turn the pump relay on. If your wiring isn't right, this won't happen, making for similar symptoms that you have.

A way around it is to put the fuel pump in test mode, it's in the BGB. Something about contacts FP and E, i think. But don't run this permanently as the AFM cuts fuel when the engine stalls, so in an accident it'll keep pumping.

dodgydan
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Mon, 09 May 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that dizzy wiring descripotion is wrong

it has one common earth

and 3 signals

2 are top dead centre marks

the other is a 24 tooth crank position sensor

if the cas was fukt it would not start at all

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Mon, 09 May 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no the fuel and air flow is fine, there is actually no Spark, I have taken the plugs out and checked it.

I am going to tow it to an auto elec tomorrow, he said he'll diagnos it for me and tell me why its not sparking.

might be the best way.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2005 07:11]

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Mon, 09 May 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if there is NO spark - it will not and cannot start. Did you earth the spark plug while testing it?

Did you search on this? try "car starts"

I have had this in a couple of instances (where the car starts and stalls) it turned out that the injectors weren't pulsing
and needed a little rap with a screwdriver (on the steel body of the injectors).

Is this a Vane type AFM?
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Mon, 09 May 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the igniter earthed

do the fuel injectors click
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Mon, 09 May 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason, Yeah I did earth the plug while testing it and nothing, usually you can see a spark jump, but not in this instance.
Jason what would cause them not to pulse could it be, bad timing.

Sideshow, no I don't hear the injectors clicking. I did actually send you a PM about this, there is no actual earth wire from the igniter, does it just earth through the case or what?
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Mon, 09 May 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok

theres been afew emails i havnt gotten

not sure y but anyway

igniter earths thru case

u need to see if u have the correct signals from the dizzy

u need ot have the correct crank sensor for the correct ecu

and the correct igniter

im not sure if yrs is a bitsa or a complete set

but if the cas is ok u should get spark

then if the car doesnt start within afew revolutions the ecu turns off the injectors incase it floods

so u have to work on spark first

get the right cas if u have wrong one

make sure igniter body is earthed

was the loom in one piece or was it fukt and u had to fix it

make sur ethe igniter is powered up and the coils powered up
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Mon, 09 May 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try another plug in the lead earthd to the engine b4 u go towing Razz
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Mon, 09 May 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok it is the correct crank angle sensor for the ecu, the igniter not to sure of, I think it is one of a map sensored gze.

and yeah the loom was fucked and I had to fix it, to do this though I went a little differant, I really didn't want to hack my AW11 loom, so I re pinned everything at the ecu that was existing, and made a new loom out of the remains to run everything else that wasn't there, and tapped that into the AW11 loom where it needed to be.

well the igniter and coils has power to them deffinatly, don't know how to test if they are powered up.

Thanks
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Sat, 14 May 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey I am wondering something though, does anybody know if the coil packs need to have a ground to them? cause there is a power wire, and a trigger wire, or does the trigger wire get pulled to ground when its suppose to spark?
themx13
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Sat, 14 May 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen this problem before, if the car starts then stalls straight away. Check the wiring to the ballast resistor and the resistor itself for continuity, (white rectangle thing usually near the coil with two wires coming off it)
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Sun, 15 May 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ballast resistors went out in the 80s

Smile
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agze starts then stalls Mon, 16 May 2005 09:16 Go to previous message
Not sure if it applies, but when I worked on my car once (3SGTE) and forgot to connect up one of the PCV pipes, car would start fine then like clockwork would die like you just turned the key off in about 1-2 seconds. Soon as i connected it up it worked fine.

checked intake for leaks?? or im way off the track, Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA22 suspension options
Next Topic:82 hilux, help please
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:20:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052990913391113 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.