Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Aico
Newcomer

March 2005
Engine swap kit Tue, 10 May 2005 22:05 Go to next message
I'm going to put a CA18det in my AE86. There is a guy on this forum who has a kit for this swap. It's the engine mounts and gearbox mount.

Anthony Kellam seems to be his name. We had e-mail contact before, but then he stopped answering. So can I get this kit somewhere else or does anyone know this guy and maybe know his phonenumber so I can call him?

Send a private message to this user    
Aico
Newcomer

March 2005
Re: Engine swap kit Wed, 11 May 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kick
taitran
Regular

April 2005
Re: Engine swap kit Sat, 14 May 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i cant seem to get hold of him aswell, can anybody help us out.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engine swap kit Sat, 14 May 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You might want to have a look at these threads which are now locked Mad

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=66304&start=0&rid=1935&S=41ccbf286b9 bf24f0719e47c153acbb2

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=68744&start=0&rid=1935&S=41ccbf286b9 bf24f0719e47c153acbb2

And after looking at that picture of those mounts Laughing
You get what you pay for , or you pay for what you don't get as the case might be . I am lost to see how that gearbox mount correctly bolts to the correct area of the floor pan , sure there are eight bolt locations but only four are the correct mounting locations unless thats for a auto conversion then is using the auto mounting bolt locations Laughing .

I wouldn't like to be putting over 100nm at the gearbox into a flat piece of mild steel welded to a rhs box section mounted on the wrong bolt locations on the floor , as for the engine mounts , more flat mild steel with some 5mm plate reinforcing it .

How does a car get engineered welded engine mounts without them being xray tested in Victoria ? i would love to know . And as far as urethane general mounts from the repco catalog which are most likely for a V8 ford or rover for low reciprocating engine speed with lots of mass and huge counter weighting of the crank . Well add a not so smooth engine like a ca or sr and i am sure at a point in the rev range , if not from idle to the rpm limit you couldn't see crap out the rearview mirror due to the vibrations traveling though the complete car . I know with my softer mounts its at 3300 to 3500 rpm , with solid mounts this range would be far increased .

Just don't be stupid people Shocked Think about the fact that with a small amount of engine work you will be driving some tin can with the ability to not only spin up in second gear like a modified 4age , but to light the wheels when you go to overtake someone on the freeway . With that kind of power you don't want a bloody mount coming adrift when you are really giving it to the car , sure might last today but what about down the track ? are you going to inspect something after every hard drive ? i think not Rolling Eyes . Even factory stock components do fail , thats why servicing is invented for more than just oil changes .

Ow and about that DLI converter i was wrong , it was a 15 month wait from first order time , three months was just the chasing up after paying hey Steve . Sad

Don't bother with another weak reply tony , its just people like you and the work carried out by the now finished IDB is some of the worst forms of modification i have ever seen for my own eyes , if you cannot do something perfectly safely and legally i don't know why people should bother especially when its followed up by crappy service or there for lack of . I know the legalities of modifications easily escape the judicial system with ease , due to changing anything from a standard form is at the owners risk . And of course is not covered under any warranty's due to being deemed under the performance / race / ie not for road use clause , even if the product doesn't come equipped with the correct paper work pertaining to this fact . Thats why such piss poor work is out there , and it up to you the customer to live with the work because you have no comeback Sad , even after the motor and box falls out from beneath your car Crying or Very Sad

Just be safe and if it doubt contact a mechanical engineer with the correct up to date accreditation , yes theres even a few dodgy ones of those out there which have just been canned by the RTA here in victoria . There normally so bloody smart that they have answered your question before you have finished explaining it Wink . Or completely DIY it , then you only have yourself to blame hey Laughing .

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Engine swap kit Sat, 14 May 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony has been back and forth between Sydney and Brisbane quite frequently lately... might be why he is slow to repond.
Send/leave him a message and I'm sure he'll get back to you when he can.

Anthony Kellam
Unit 3, 17 Veronica Street,
Capalaba
(07) 38234440
akellam@optusnet.com.au
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Engine swap kit Sat, 14 May 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gImprovedAE86 what is your reasoning for badmouthing Anthony all over these forums?

Have you ever actually purchased anything from Anthony?

Have you ever used these particular engine mounts?
For that matter has anyone that you know had problems with these particular engine mounts?

All Aico asked is does anyone have contact details for Anthony... your defamation is completely un-necessary and uncalled for.

Also it should be blatantly obvious that one should consult the expertise of an engineer when doing a conversion such as the 4A to CA18 swap... you would have to have a single digit IQ to think otherwise.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Engine swap kit Sat, 14 May 2005 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just for reference i dont know that the above contact phone number is valid anymore, as Anthony has virtually moved to Sydney and as far as i know has moved from those premises. That email address IS however valid, and he does receive those.

Improved, thanks for your comments. However i seem to get the feeling that of late you have been making it your purpose on these forums to find any thread to do with Anthony Kellam and add your two cents.
If you have a problem with Anthony, perhaps you should take it up with him personally, as a public internet forum is not the place to vent such personal gripes.

timottaway
Regular

September 2004
Re: Engine swap kit Sat, 14 May 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how disrespectful...
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Engine swap kit Sat, 14 May 2005 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From the gist of things I presume improved would not be involved in rebuilding engine mounts with silastic then? as I was after some tips,I heard perhaps sikaflex? [bit out of my budget really]
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engine swap kit Sun, 15 May 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that sounds like a good idea Laughing disrespectful ? timottaway , you earn respect for providing service to back up your claims that you can supply products for the people as agreed i guess .

Toobs don't worry about problems if something looks like shit then 99% percent of the time its turns out to be just that , there doesn't seem to be any proof that its otherwise .

And if you read the threads before you will note that i gave advise to help a fellow 86er out and since the issue was going to be resolved before the thread was locked . And then another thread with the same result Sad But that seems to not be the case , i even was contacted by the Kid and gave him a direct contact for such a kit which are being supplied into the states after the first thread .

And yes he must have been contacted that it was finally on the way , but yet again to no avail .

Just the shear amount of protection by people not involved and the involved person getting all fired up and hiding the facts when questioned directly doesn't look good , think if you promoted your products and services on a forum and decided to move or be uncontactable , why not keep people informed Laughing Its just common sense , why do people have to get personally involved to chase and contact such a persons to see a problem resolved . This is poor guy has most likely been hanging out to drive his car , and Cool1 and myself have offered to help the guy , but still he has been left hanging .

Sorry if this seems like a personal attack {maybe i will go hunting other persons involved in such trading}, really it should be a lesson for future traders of the forum to get there acts together . I cannot see how such things happen after being involved in National and State Automotive businesses as well as aftermarket companys , i would be so ashamed to be offering that level of services . I am sure it's not so hard to get back to people Rolling Eyes , try 1.3>1.5 million parts and over 800 people to supply to . Thats the whole problem with the automotive industry at this present time Mad , to many promises that people never deliver but this will pass and those people will no longer be in such positions due to the invention of the internet and public forums . Easy to do a search to check the history of such suppliers , unless its all covered up Laughing

manmx83 , most pedder agents have the ability to fill any mounts with a rubber compound to any degree of hardness or softness , they even have testing for the mount supplied . Personally Hawthorn pedders here in Victoria has a good history of working this out due there involvement with there own racing , as well as a history with Toyota races cars and there own Toyota vehicles . As well as always keeping the customer up to date on the progression of the work Laughing Laughing
taitran
Regular

April 2005
Re: Engine swap kit Sun, 15 May 2005 04:35 Go to previous message
IMPROVEDA86 .DO u know of anyone else apart from Anthony that might make ca18det or sr20det mounts, Perhaps you can make me a copy of the sr20det ones in your car, I WILL PAY CASH. If u are interested in undertaking this task or not or know someone who can can u PM me or email me on tai_tran04@yahoo.com.au

THANKS TAI TRAN
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:hose diagram for 4agze
Next Topic:maybe ecu burnt out
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:37:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050671100616455 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.