Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Opinions on Kmac strut tops?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon10.gif  Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 13 May 2005 04:14 Go to next message
I am considering buying some K-mac strut tops, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or feedback on them.

http://www.shockabsorbers.com.au/makes/toyota.htm

As they ajust castor and camber, they don't have a traditional slot design with marks - does this mean that adjustments have to be measured at a susp shop?

Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 13 May 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mad You have PM
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 13 May 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
? Not from you I don't, unless you have 2 different toymods accounts...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 13 May 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would like to know teh verdict on this.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 13 May 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I post negative things in here or is that not allowed?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 13 May 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go nuts. He wouldnt have asked otherwise, and even better if you can offer a better alternative.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 13 May 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Not from you I don't, unless you have 2 different toymods accounts...

should be there now Smile

feel free quote any of my PM in this thread if you think it's useful. It is not just a bagging out of the product, it is simply my experience.
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 13 May 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well in my opinion, i wouldn't buy K-Mac. I bought a supra not long ago and both K-Mac strut tops were bent.

Theres been this kind of thread not long ago, dont know the outcome though. Search and you'll find it pretty easily
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 13 May 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah just always worry about bagging companys..

Few people I know who have run them have complained about the plates always bending out of shape and swear to never use them again.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 13 May 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks all...I did do a search and saw some comments about bending; I started a new thread as I was also curious about the adjustment side of things. About to read that PM now Smile
rxjohn
Regular

December 2003
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 13 May 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive used them , were ok, but didnt give the adjustment they claimed it would,
Try noltec they make some good units

http://www.noltec.com.au/
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 13 May 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The noltec catalog doesn't list an xA6x celica specific part - have people here with noltec strut tops adapted a generic part?
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 13 May 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there was a thread a while ago that u can get adj camber tops from an s13, drill some holes in them and they fit
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Sat, 14 May 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mates about to fit the k-mac tops in his i180sx, ill post a reply when ive heard how they go performance wise.. so far they seeme fine as they are installed but not been driven on,
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Sat, 14 May 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im running k-mac tops in my ke30 and they work very well
they have been in for 3 years with 300lb springs and they havent bent yet or come out of adjustment
i also got a wheel alinment from k-mac and they where very good, only cost $20 cause i had there product in the car and i could come in and watch and tell them all the settings i wanted...

so for me they have done the job, i know lots of people have trouble with them tho
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Sat, 14 May 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got one set myself, and know a few others that use them, and while I haven't had trouble with them bending, they certainly don't give a great deal of adjustment. I'd probably look to the Noltec, or similiar, ones next time myself.
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Sat, 14 May 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This thread is about some noltec ones Joorsh had made up for his Ma61, should fit an RA65?

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=49668&rid=7582&S=1759656642e21aa3acc11e9 39578d4b5&pl_view=&start=0#msg_453845

Part number is N44027

hope this helps becuase this is what i am looking at getting when i upgrade the suspension

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Sat, 14 May 2005 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
negative boost wrote on Sat, 14 May 2005 17:53

This thread is about some noltec ones Joorsh had made up for his Ma61, should fit an RA65?

IIRC the xA6x supra and xA6x celica strut bolts are the same pattern, but offset differently, so strut tower braces & camber plates designed for one will not fit the other. Having said that, as the noltec ones do camber AND castor, the would work somewhat, just not quite the way they were intended to (and with the adjustment marks not being in the right place)

These T3 ones look good:
http://www.technotoytuning.com/t3_site_pages/produ cts/camber_plates.html

My only reservation is the lack of any urethene, which would make for a harsh ride for a street application. Any further thoughts?

timottaway
Regular

September 2004
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Sat, 14 May 2005 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s13 pillow ball camber tops fit a6 celicas after a quick go with a file...

thank soarer21 for the hot tip
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Sat, 14 May 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intensevil wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 16:19

there was a thread a while ago that u can get adj camber tops from an s13, drill some holes in them and they fit

I remember the thread and it's an option, but I'm not mega keen on reaming out the holes in the strut towers.
timottaway
Regular

September 2004
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Sat, 14 May 2005 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in no way is it reaming out the holes. i must admit i was very skeptical but i litterally spent 5 mins per strut tower and the s13 top fit in nice 'n' snug.

i mean i really wanted to run pillow balls 'cause its only fair if u've gone to all the trouble of getting nice stiff spring bushes to only have the top flex a little and a little is a lot in suspension geometry terms

i reckon if you compare it to say a caster rod, its the difference between flogged out bushes (stock strut top), new urathane bushes(k-mac) and rose jointed items (pillow ball strut top)
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Sat, 14 May 2005 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What brand/model strut tops are you using, how much did they cost, and where did you get them from?

(5 minutes actually sounds a bit drastic; I can do a LOT of filing in that time Razz )
timottaway
Regular

September 2004
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Sat, 14 May 2005 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've had them lying around for sometime now, tanabe s13 tops i'm putting them in pretty soon for the drift comp out at qr on 21st.

i wouldn't know where to get them at the moment, got them of a friend at the start of the year.

i reckon jumping on nissan silvia and having a poke around, u shouldn' have to more than $220 for som 2nd hand ones

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Sat, 14 May 2005 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 12:14

I am considering buying some K-mac strut tops, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or feedback on them.

http://www.shockabsorbers.com.au/makes/toyota.htm

As they ajust castor and camber, they don't have a traditional slot design with marks - does this mean that adjustments have to be measured at a susp shop?

Personally, i'd go the Noltec's over the KMac's any day, for Adjustable Strut tops.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Mon, 16 May 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 01:29

These T3 ones look good:
http://www.technotoytuning.com/t3_site_pages/produ cts/camber_plates.html

I got an email back from T3, and while their excellent looking upper hats are to suit 63mm springs, they can custom mill them for 65mm. Postage is only $9us. I think these may be the go Smile
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Mon, 16 May 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My T3 ones were for around 65mm springs. Although i think exactly they are for some Imperial sized springs. Anyway 65mm fits nice and snugly.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Mon, 16 May 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, 2.5" IIRC, which is ~63.5mm Razz

What is your opinion of them?

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Mon, 16 May 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From the limited amount i have used them they seem quite solid. I fear though that they may be making a little bit of noise already, due to the shock shaft hole being the same size as the shock shaft, rather than sitting onto the top of the shaft they can move around. Hard to describe, ill take some pics when i take it apart again.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Mon, 16 May 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, that'd be great. You're not using their nice upper hats though, are you? If you're not, might fix the problem if I'm reading it right.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Mon, 16 May 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, im using brand new Cusco units. I have been offered some T3 ones to try. Im not sure which i will use yet though. Especially as i cant drive it just now.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Tue, 17 May 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timottaway wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 01:16

in no way is it reaming out the holes. i must admit i was very skeptical but i litterally spent 5 mins per strut tower and the s13 top fit in nice 'n' snug.

i mean i really wanted to run pillow balls 'cause its only fair if u've gone to all the trouble of getting nice stiff spring bushes to only have the top flex a little and a little is a lot in suspension geometry terms

i reckon if you compare it to say a caster rod, its the difference between flogged out bushes (stock strut top), new urathane bushes(k-mac) and rose jointed items (pillow ball strut top)

Do you have a pic of them fitted ?

A mate brought down his supposed S13 strut tops and they were nowhere near fitting in the MA61. @ holes were OK, but the other was 10 - 15mm out ?

Cheers

Michael B
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Tue, 17 May 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 13:13

Do you have a pic of them fitted ?

A mate brought down his supposed S13 strut tops and they were nowhere near fitting in the MA61. @ holes were OK, but the other was 10 - 15mm out ?

Cheers

Michael B

I thought the bolt pattern on xA6x Supras and xA6x Celicas is different - strut braces designed for one will not fit the other, so neither will strut tops.
Gabriel Tyler
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 27 May 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We make specific bolt on camber plates for all years Toyota from 68--->86. There is no need to modify or drill your strut tops.

If properly installed and all the nuts are fastened down, they should not make any undue noise. The bearings are teflon lined which makes them self lubricating and helps to reduce noise also!

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 27 May 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gabriel Tyler wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 17:54

We make specific bolt on camber plates for all years Toyota from 68--->86. There is no need to modify or drill your strut tops.

If properly installed and all the nuts are fastened down, they should not make any undue noise. The bearings are teflon lined which makes them self lubricating and helps to reduce noise also!

Hi Gab

I actually emailed you an order for these a week ago but didn't get a reply (I'm the same Stefan who's sent and recieved a few emails to and from you about 65mm top hats) - could one of us be habing trouble with our email accounts?

Stefan
Gabriel Tyler
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Opinions on Kmac strut tops? Fri, 27 May 2005 08:18 Go to previous message
Stefan,

Sometimes the e-mail servers can goof up. If for some reason you don't hear back from us, just be a bit persistent.

Off the top of my head I can't remember what strut tops you needed, just drop me an e-mail at ggtyler@yahoo.com to refresh my memory. Thanks!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener?
Next Topic:AE86 suspension problem, T3 RCA
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 17:53:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078449249267578 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.