Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
naten
Regular

May 2002

leaking F lsd breather Sat, 14 May 2005 01:47 Go to next message
hey guys,

i swapped out my ma61 diff as the old one was shagged out. The new one works great but it seems to be leaking through the little vent on top of the diff casing. I have swapped that little vent thing with another diff and it does the same thing.

anyone know how those vents work so i can test mine and what they are meant to do?

cheers
nathan
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: leaking F lsd breather Sat, 14 May 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you running high power through it?

Most poeple with 7mgte's, 1uzfe's, 1jzgte's, and 2jzgte's experience this because they are putting lots of power through the diff and the fluid is basically boiling over.

If you have a stock car, maybe look into seeing if the diff is too full, too empty, or the oil is old and shagged.
If the oil is new, maybe look into getting a different brand.

I've used Penrite before, and it was fine.
naten
Regular

May 2002

Re: leaking F lsd breather Sat, 14 May 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey

thanks for the reply

I am running a 1jz-gte but this problem wasnt present on the old diff. Its been flushed (looked like factory original oil) and refilled with castrol LSX90 lsd oil.

Im pondering how the breathers are meant to work, is it just a simple one-way valve or does it breathe both ways some how ?

cheers
nathan
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: leaking F lsd breather Sat, 14 May 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe the old diff's vent was blocked, and removing it cleared it up?

But I think everyone has the same problem.

Maybe look into getting an oil with a high boiling point?

The vent would obviously go both ways.
Vent hot air as the oil/air inside the diff expands, and suck back in cold air as the oil cools down and contracts.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: leaking F lsd breather Sat, 14 May 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe you just overfilled the diff?

that happened when I did the LSD in the soarer, i put about 500 ml too much in and it suprted out for a few days then it stopped Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: leaking F lsd breather Sat, 14 May 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah mine has always done it, both before and after the TrueTrac conversion. It even happened on my old black Supra and it only had a 6M, but I'd have to be driving it pretty hard before it would get hot enough (eg mountain run). These days with a 2JZ it's not so hard to get it hot. Wink

In any case it's never worried me, just check the oil level every few months and it should be sweet.
timottaway
Regular

September 2004
Re: leaking F lsd breather Sat, 14 May 2005 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they always leak and u have to watch it too it will leak a substancial amount of oil... Rolling Eyes you can lose a lot of diff oil drifting

i have removed the breather altogether and put a hose fitting on it, then simply run a appropriate length of hose with a loop to create a verve (like a toilet)

i've even heard of poeple putting little filter on the end..
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: leaking F lsd breather Sat, 14 May 2005 19:22 Go to previous message
Ive got the same diff and a 1jz gte in my car, it leaks the same after any sort of power goes through it.. im not worried, nor should you be.
it happens with everyones and as long as u check the level every like 6 months you will be fine
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KE20 hubcaps fit on mazda 13" rims?
Next Topic:Pics of Turbo engine bay
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 08:00:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060939788818359 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.