Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Air Box design / Air filter Choice Sun, 15 May 2005 03:48 Go to next message
I'll be making up an enclosed air box, with a cold air feed from underneath the guard.

I'm thinking I can build the air box to suit an enclosed pod, or I was thinking that I could try and design a box that takes twin panel filters.

Is the opinion that it's 6 to one, half a dozen to the other, and I should just do what ever is easier? Are air filters these days even a restriction at all really?!

What size should I be looking to make the box? Is it a case of bigger is better? Does the air box size only effect transient response? Or am I mislead?

I've tried to do some searching/research for air box/filter choice and design, but haven't come up with much at all. Can anyone point me in the right direction (Ed?..others!)

Cheers
Wilbo
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Air Box design / Air filter Choice Sun, 15 May 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) I would think that a good panel filter would pose less of a restriction than a pod as they generally have a greater surface area to suck air through.
2) Build the box to suit your filter.
If you're really keen try to tune your intended setup using a flow bench.
The 2JZ setup always intreiged me, it appears to be quite extensively tuned and has a little box that shoots off to the side which I assume is supposed to assist throttle response by acting as a small reserve air supply.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Air Box design / Air filter Choice Sun, 15 May 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either way it's mostly pretty much the same, just design the path of the air to be as straight as possible, sometimes pod filters aren't good for this, sometimes they are!

Quote:

The 2JZ setup always intreiged me, it appears to be quite extensively tuned and has a little box that shoots off to the side which I assume is supposed to assist throttle response by acting as a small reserve air supply.
It could also be to reduce resonance at a certain frequency Very Happy I'm not sure on that one.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Air Box design / Air filter Choice Sun, 15 May 2005 07:40 Go to previous message
the little boxes in the plumbing are generally there to help reduce induction noise. the reason why exposed pod filters are illegal.. however i would punt that half the people getting busted and half of the cops enforcing it dont know *why* it is illegal Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4afc -> 4afe -> Turbo
Next Topic:4age unleaded?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:17:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053579807281494 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.