Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Sun, 15 May 2005 08:08 Go to next message
Hoy Thar,

wanting to hear from people who have ditched the crap SC12/14 and put on a whipple/sprintex/similar supercharger in it's place.
what psi/rpm range were you using etc... TECH answers Wink
Cya, Stewart

[Updated on: Sun, 15 May 2005 09:20]

Send a private message to this user    
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Sun, 15 May 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got a feeling someone on www.mr2oc.com has sone this conversion to a whipple type charger. sorry i cant be of more help/.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Sun, 15 May 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://lists.mr2sc.com/pipermail/mr2sc/Week-of-Mon -20020930/015514.html
some 4th hand knowledge
Quote:

[mr2sc]4AGZE with Lysholm does exist
Alexei Chipovalov AlexeiC@versonix.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:43:42 -0700

Previous message: [mr2sc]Lysholm talk (Possible kit!)
Next message: [mr2sc]4AGZE with Lysholm does exist
Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Hi everybody,

Finally I found the guy who has lysholm on his 4AGZE!
He does serious racing in Australia. His car is "PRB"
(Lotus-7 style). His name is John Moyes. He wrote:

"Firstly, you have found the right person as my PRB started life with a
factory 4A-GZE, but now has an Autorotor screw compressor. A new engine is
a couple of months away based on a 7A block stroked to 1900cc with a small
port 16 valve head, but with a much larger compressor.

The 1600cc engine is fitted with an OA 2076 delivering 16psi of boost via an
air-to-air intercooler. High-lift mild duration cams deliver 195ftlb at
5000rpm and 225bhp at 7500rpm on avgas. The bottom end of the engine is
standard although the rods are peened and ARP bolts are fitted to the
bearing caps. The head has had the most work done to the exhaust ports
which have been enlarged as much as possible. Inlets are only polished.

The engine has not failed in 4 years of serious racing, but was "freshened
up" after 2 years. The Autorotor is probably one size too small as I run it
up to nearly 20,000rpm at peak engine speed, which is 30% above its
recommended maximum. In spite of this, the compressor has worked perfectly
at all times.

The new engine will use a small-port 4-valve head fitted with big exhaust
valves an OA 3133/2.0 to deliver 21psi and is expected to deliver 280-300bhp."

------------
My comments:
1)As you see, Autorotor is very reliable.
2)Autorotor OA-2076 model John used on 4AGZE is just 0.76L
(he mentioned it was undersized).
3)0.76L at 20,000rpm is close to 1.33L at 11,000rpm, so
at 13,000rpm 1.33L SC should make 4AGZE to deliver about 265bhp
and 300hp at 15,000rpm (max continuous speed=13,000rpm).
4)As I already posted a while ago, I'm going to use OA-3133/2.0
(1.33L, 2.0 internal compression, same as John chose for his 7A project).

"DJJ"(David) from this list gave me the lead.
Tnank you David!

BTW, I talked with engineer from "Gates Rubber Company". Yes, it's
possible to transfer 70hp to the SC with 21mm width tooth belt, so
I need just SC, cranc, and water pump pulleys.
Does anybody have spare water pump pulley? I need to send it to tooth
pulley manufacturer to rework it for cog belt (or make replacement).

Cheers,
Alexei
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Sun, 15 May 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sounds fecking awesome! give that man a hug!
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Sun, 15 May 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no im not thinking of that guy Razz

there is someone running a whipple SC on a gze in an aw11.

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=78126&hi ghlight=whipple

[Updated on: Sun, 15 May 2005 10:53]

DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Sun, 15 May 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinkin this exact thing today.... (the possibilities of using alternate SC's on the 4agze,)

Sounds good though...... would definately like to hear from anyone who has done this also.

Evil or Very Mad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Sun, 15 May 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof, would you kindly copy and paste the contents here? not all of us are members of MR2OC (although i have tried to register)
TIA Smile
Cya, Stewart
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Sun, 15 May 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he has had *heaps* of greif with it. in the end he has given up and going gt28rs and trying to sell the charger gear.

there are heaps of pages so ive pdf'd them and up them up

http://members.iinet.net.au/~toof/whipple.zip
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Sun, 15 May 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is something I gave some serious thought to myself, until I happened to come across a HKS turbo at a price I couldn't say no to... why must I be so easily influenced?

PD supercharging is much more of an art than people often presume, I do know that much - so often, people seem unable to make anything like the sort of power they wanted (top fuellers excepted...). Having said that, I haven't abandoned the idea altogether - I'm actually looking at doing something somewhat similiar with a different engine. If you have any deeper thoughts on this project however, do keep me informed Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Sun, 15 May 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers bigears Very Happy

ahh seems like he had it mounted wrong, lost the gear oil, and that was where the grief came from? any further updates past may 5th?

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Sun, 15 May 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 22:21

PD supercharging is much more of an art than people often presume, I do know that much - so often, people seem unable to make anything like the sort of power they wanted (top fuellers excepted...).

you've got that right.... toyota made it look simple the way they designed theirs... then again, anything is easy to design if you only idle and drive at WOT Wink it's the in betweeny bits that are hard Wink

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Sun, 15 May 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.iinet.net.au/~toof/forsale.pdf

he wants to sell the SC gear. already bought a turbo in its place. i wanted to go down the path of a better charger but it really seems that a turbo is going to be a cheaper and in the end less hassle option. i cant find anyone with *positive* experience for a street car.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Mon, 16 May 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are not many positive experiences because not many people have even tried, due to the high initial cost. i would discount the experiences of the guy you posted as he seemed happy with the way it worked, just not with the service Whipple provided..

there will always be bad service, but the lysholm PD SC is a proven design all the same...

i personally think a well thought out SC'd car will piss on a turbo car.. until the turbo car finally catches up Wink

for all out dyno queen numbers, turbo is hard to beat, but for get up and go, from lights, roundabouts, or even PREDICTABLE drive out of corners, it's hard to go past an SC..

anyway, has anyone in toymods tried this as yet?
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Mon, 16 May 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u.s. miata guys have an unparalelled number samples of various 1.6/1.8 supercharger applications. You can read for days.
http://forum.miata.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=foru m;f=1

Here is one very impressive example of a common junkyard supercharger, overdriven to 21psi on a built 1.8L. Yes, it will eat most turbo setups alive.... all except for the monsters. Folks that took a test ride in that car piss'd themselves... and they own turbo miatas. hehe
http://www.biggulp.net

342 hp to the threads, with an unusual 310 ft-lbs tq coming on early
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Mon, 16 May 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true, i've read a fair few of their stories.. seems many still go for the roots type (eaton) SC, rather than a twin screw tho..
(ie, big gulp, jackson racing, BRP).. the FM ubercharger is a whipple, using the 1200.. to be honest the FM dyno tests look like they are well below their potential (ie 1.8L, 13psi could get around 340Nm max, but only gets 258 at 13psi), but then again, they are also going for emissions too..

420Nm from 1.8L and 21psi? thats possible...(437Nm max)

one would expect a PD SC to have near peak torque from as soon as the valve overlap allows.

to be honest the reason for considering a lysholm is so that you don't run out of revs at a piddly 7000 or 7500rpm.... Wink

Cya, Stewart
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Mon, 16 May 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6/71, 8/71, etc. - 7000rpm still shifts a gale force breeze Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Mon, 16 May 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 00:47

6/71, 8/71, etc. - 7000rpm still shifts a gale force breeze Razz

you could almost fit a 4AG INSIDE one of those things Wink
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Mon, 16 May 2005 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
>>"to be honest the reason for considering a lysholm is so that you don't run out of revs at a piddly 7000 or 7500rpm.... "
----------------
in that case, turbos got u covered.... or shift Smile

>>"but for get up and go, from lights, roundabouts, or even PREDICTABLE drive out of corners, it's hard to go past an SC"
---------------
I was under the impression, this was closer to what you're after... only more intense than 'normal'
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Tue, 17 May 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ill agree the charger gives a great and very predictable feel. just having boost as soon as you stab the loud pedal is nice.

perhaps you would be better off looking for an ex facotry unit.. perhaps one of the merc ones ? not sure if they are roots though ?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Tue, 17 May 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quest wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 07:56

>>"to be honest the reason for considering a lysholm is so that you don't run out of revs at a piddly 7000 or 7500rpm.... "
----------------
in that case, turbos got u covered.... or shift Smile

>>"but for get up and go, from lights, roundabouts, or even PREDICTABLE drive out of corners, it's hard to go past an SC"
---------------
I was under the impression, this was closer to what you're after... only more intense than 'normal'

what do you mean 'turbo's have me covered'? it is a common misconception (due to roots style blowers) that you can't run high rpm with an SC. the smaller lysholm blowers can turn over 20,000rpm, and the ones i'm looking at turn 15,000rpm (but about 3000rpm more than i'd need)
turbos are ok, but they have their limitations, and for me, they are too limiting.

all i want is 300Nm in a car under 800kg.. is that too much to ask? Razz

toof wrote

yeah ill agree the charger gives a great and very predictable feel. just having boost as soon as you stab the loud pedal is nice.

perhaps you would be better off looking for an ex facotry unit.. perhaps one of the merc ones ? not sure if they are roots though ?

exactly, i want big engine performance out of something legal to fit into my car, whilst not having a turbo Wink
the only factory ones i can think of are on the merc AMG65 thingy, or the mazda millenia?

i see no reason not to get a brand spanker that is perfectly sized, along with a range of pulleys to suit my taste Wink
cost is really not that bad... for a whipple 1600AR, US$1640
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?Pr odID=1162 similar price to a new turbo.

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Tue, 17 May 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lysholms are cool.

Doing some quick googling.

Differences in superchargers:
http://www.ttmtechnical.com/overview_of_forced_ind uction.htm

lysholm install:
http://www.corradocentral.com/lysholm.htm

prices look stupidly cheap here:
http://www.psesuperchargers.com/products.Aftermark et.htm
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Tue, 17 May 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

PSE Superchargers also performs our high quality remanufacturing on the EATON Aftermarket Roots models, Opcon and Lysholm Twin-Screw superchargers. These two twin-screw compressors are commonly used by such quality system manufacturers as Kenne Bell, Whipple and others.
PSE Superchargers uses only the highest quality bearings and seals in all remanufacturing processes. High-Performance “port” work to increase airflow is also available. All twin-screw and roots repairs come with a Three Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty.

All aftermarket superchargers will need to be shipped to PSE for Remanufacturing and have a 4-day turn around. Many units with slight damage can still be repaired.

that is a re-co price Razz
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Tue, 17 May 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pfft fineprint. Knew there had to be a reason why they were so cheap Embarassed
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Tue, 17 May 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even still fro 1600US RRP and im surde you could hunt them down a shade cheaper then sticker price anyway they are comprably priced to a new turbo. either that or im sure you could find 2nd hand whipple units at a considerable saving.. probaly would be a heap eaiser if you had someone in the US to d othe leg work..

other option is that the US get a heap more facotry supercharged vehicles then we do here... possibly get another factory fitted type unit that we dont get here ? somehting in the 1.8L/rev range. even if its a roots the larger capacity would mean you wouldnt need to spin it as fast and run into the problems the roots units have ?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Tue, 17 May 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now a 1UZ with 3300AR would be nice Wink have a late closing cam timing, run 18psi Wink

anyway, this is all i want...
http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/dyno-300nm.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 17 May 2005 05:44]

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Tue, 17 May 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think a 3300AR would be a *tad* too big for a 1UZ. I was thinking more along the lines of 1600AR or 2300AR for big boost (1bar+). Thats what I gathered from my 2 hours of research this arvo.
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Tue, 17 May 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
>>"it is a common misconception (due to roots style blowers) that you can't run high rpm with an SC. "
---------------
when "pushin' it", biggulp shifts at 8500-8900rpm.... that no good for you ?

>>"what do you mean 'turbo's have me covered'? "
---------------
Sure, I'd stick to superchargers 'only* in their element.
In any situation where you find your rpms dancing between 4500-8000... you've now entered shark infested open waters - a $600 t3/t4 will walk away from whatever SC you chose, eh. Avoid that zone Smile

>>"all i want is 300Nm in a car under 800kg.. is that too much to ask?"
--------------
and I'm sure you'll accomplish that. Done your homework it seems

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: has anyone ACTUALLY used a lysholm/whipple style SC on a 4AGZE? Tue, 17 May 2005 22:04 Go to previous message
quest wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 01:34

when "pushin' it", biggulp shifts at 8500-8900rpm.... that no good for you ?

Sure, I'd stick to superchargers 'only* in their element.
In any situation where you find your rpms dancing between 4500-8000... you've now entered shark infested open waters - a $600 t3/t4 will walk away from whatever SC you chose, eh. Avoid that zone Smile

>>"all i want is 300Nm in a car under 800kg.. is that too much to ask?"
--------------
and I'm sure you'll accomplish that. Done your homework it seems

yeah, i'd say a regular 8500 shift is the aim. but the difference is that the lysholm chargers do it easy (and more efficiently, and suck less power) than roots.. no doubt big gulp will spin those speeds, but the difference in energy lost could be around 10-20kw (the lysholm _only_ Rolling Eyes takes 20kw to drive ti at that speed and pressure ratio)

yup, on race day i know a turbo would be preferable... but for a street driven car, what % of time is actually on the track? maybe one car will be turbo and the other SC Razz
all depends on what the engineers find "acceptable" out of my chosen mods....

Cya, Stewart
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ra40 diff into sprinter panhard prob
Next Topic:Rack Boots
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 19:56:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.022845983505249 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.