Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
icon4.gif  3K Timing and Ignition Sat, 14 May 2005 09:55 Go to next message
Heya Guys,

Me and old man went to tuning my car today, and we put the timing light on it and its pointing that its down to about 40 degrees although its running good, and old man was like wtf?
so we took the first spark plug out and got the piston to top dead center and the rotor was pointing to cylinder 1 so where like wtf, (toyota manaul says that its sposed to be pointing to 1 at top dead centre so all good there)

could the timing chain be out or something, car is running good tho
so i'am thinking its on about 8 degrees but its showing about 40 cause the timing chain is out?

thanks for any help

Cheers Trent

[Updated on: Sat, 14 May 2005 10:00]

Send a private message to this user    
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sat, 14 May 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sat, 14 May 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eh, with a K mounted on 30ish-degree slant like they are in a corolla you'd have to be underneath the car with the timing light if it was at 40btdc

sure you're reading it correctly?
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah man i was doing it right, because i did it on my other KE30 it was okay, i may have been exaguating but the intervals on the timing chain cover were 5, 10, 15, 20 and mine was a bit further from 20.

When we changed it to read 8 Degrees the car spluttered and didn't idle properly so were thinking we had it on about 8 before and its reading 30 or something when we change it too 8,

The car is also a real bitch to start *coughs splutters* etc.

Anyway indigoid thanks for the help,
I might just take it somewhere to get looked at,

Cheers Trent

BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you disconnect and block the vacuum line from the dissy when you checked the timing. I don't know if it would cause the timing to advance that far but it is something to lok at.
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick reply Brad

Yeah we disconnected it and then tried it connected to no avail,

Thanks anyway man

Cheers Trent
purple_people_eater_1
Regular

June 2003
Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine is doing the same! However I have twin down draft carbies from a KB series motor on a 4kc, we couldnt get the points screw undone in the distributor so we gave it a light tap on top of the screw driver with the trusty hammer, it loosend but think we bent the plate. Dont think it can advance right, mine is running 32 or 35 deg. and I even checked it with a dwell meter so I cant be looking at incorrectly. Confused , I backed it off to 10deg. <standard dwell?> and as soon as u touched the throttle the smallest bit it back fired through the carbies and cut out.

Runs ok like this but shouldnt the motor have detonated?

let me know the out come.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just another suggestion.

Is the keyway install on the crakshaft. If this is missing/ damaged it is possible for the crankshaft pulley to rotate on the crankshaft. This would still let the engine run fine but would make the timing appear to be out when you check it.

Pull off the belts and undo the bolt on the crankshaft pulley. It is pretty easy to get the crank pulley of with a bit of WD40 and some levering but just be carefull not to damage the seal on the front of the crank. When you get the pulley off you will see the slot in the pulley and the keyway on the crank. Make sure there is no wear or damage. The pulley only goes on one way. When you get it apart you will see what I mean.

Good luck.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
purple_people_eater_1 wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 13:23

mine is doing the same! However I have twin down draft carbies from a KB series motor on a 4kc, we couldnt get the points screw undone in the distributor so we gave it a light tap on top of the screw driver with the trusty hammer, it loosend but think we bent the plate. Dont think it can advance right, mine is running 32 or 35 deg. and I even checked it with a dwell meter so I cant be looking at incorrectly. Confused , I backed it off to 10deg. <standard dwell?> and as soon as u touched the throttle the smallest bit it back fired through the carbies and cut out.

Runs ok like this but shouldnt the motor have detonated?

let me know the out come.

Timing and dwell are two different things.
Timing is the position the crank is in when the coil fires and dwell is the angle of the points when they are open.
Just because the dwell is set correctly doesn't mean the timing is right.
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info Brad and purple,

Also do the ke30's have a rubber seal on the harmonic balancer could this be just going free and giving a false reading,

thanks again

Cheers Trent
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke30 only has a crank pulley, no harmonic balancer
purple_people_eater_1
Regular

June 2003
Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the dwell read the same as the timing position on the crank pulley I dont mind as long as I can drive it I'll replace the distibutor soon. I hope it all comes right then.
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks stu and purple,

yeah we are also tossing up the idea that the distrubtor was put in a different way it came out and that could be giving it a false reading?

Anyway ill tell my old man and see what he says,

Cheers Trent
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't understand what the prob is here?

as long as the TDC mark on the crank matches with the timing of the piston reaching TDC, and the valves are opening at the correct time.... then all you need to do is rotate the dizzy until you have the desired advance?

maybe the advance weight springs have died? can you see the timing mark advance when you rev from idle to 3-4000rpm?

engine will run better with 40deg advance at idle Wink in fact, 40deg advance is not that bad, except when you have load on the motor Wink

it should be called "load retarding" rather than "vacuum advance" Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trent-KE30 wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 21:00

yeah we are also tossing up the idea that the distrubtor was put in a different way it came out and that could be giving it a false reading?

well, if it went in one tooth out, of course the timing will be different, but unless the crank/pulley has changed, the timing light shows where the spark is occurring relative to the crank.

my car runs ok on 35deg static advance, but midrange rpm it would prefer to have 25-30 at full noise...

Redwarf
Regular

February 2005
Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you looking at the right timing mark? The reason I ask this is because I have previously made a mistake with this.

On my pulley, there is a line, and a mark on the front (closest to radiator) edge of the pulley. Neither of these is the correct one. You are after a smaller mark on the after edge of the pulley. Pls don't flame me for this one, as it's an easy mistake to make with this particular pulley, is the actual timing mark is a lot less prominent than the other two marks.

Cheers

R
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3K Timing and Ignition Sun, 15 May 2005 12:45 Go to previous message
LOL, my timing marks/grooves (i make one for no4 TDC too) are deeply embedded with liquid paper Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help me ID pipes (pictures)
Next Topic:How do I tell if my O2 sensor is a heated type or not?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:30:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053830146789551 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.