Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3S head conversion of bucket and shims

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 02:36 Go to next message
Hi guys,

Gen 2 and Gen 3 3SG(T)E heads are different in a number of ways.

One of the key concerns is that the bucket and shim arrangements changed too. For Gen 2, the arrangement is a shim over bucket and for Gen 3's, it's a shim under bucket.

The issue is that the Gen 3's run a bigger bucket.

I'm upgrading the cams in the rally car and I'm looking for a bout 11mm lift...this means that buckets are too small for the Gen 2 arrangement.

SO...long winded way of asking, has anybody actually converted them? What do I need to buy? Is it just the buckets and shims (and having the head modified) or do I need the valves, springs and retainers.

Thanks,
Matt
  Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mines had this done matt - Im running St205 cams in it as well - trying to get details from the guy who put my head together atm - but so far i keep getting " ill get them to you at X dates ..

Ill press him again next time im up that way and see if i can get him to at least give me a rough idea - though i BELIEVE most of my parts shim wise were straight Gen3 items ..

dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stu,

So is yours still a Gen2 head?

Matt
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here you go Matt

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/3sbucket.html
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep definately do the MR2 Spider Shimless Bucket conversion!
That is what I am planning to do when I get my cams!
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I'm assuming that the diameter of the buckets is the same...that's good.

The problem might become that there's no shim anymore...hence if I use reground cams, they might not work...mmmmm.

Has anybody priced these buckets locally?

Matt
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toby from Meridian Motorsport in melbourne should be able to help you with this conversion.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
About $27ish each.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dynomatt wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 12:56

The problem might become that there's no shim anymore...hence if I use reground cams, they might not work...mmmmm.

The range of adjustment would be much the same as the OE 3SGTE shims I would have thought... lots of people seem to do the conversion because they are using reground cams so I doubt the range of adjustment would be a concern.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are expected to buy the bucket that is already at the correct thickness - although you could get a machinist to surface grind them to the correct thickness.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the idea is to set it up on normal shims and buckets and then buy the uber expensive solid ones from Toyota. I believe they came down to $19 or $22 on trade, so not quite so bad, but still nasty for 16 of the suckers.

The range of adjustment is actually larger than the stock setup, so you are in good hands there.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Back to your initial post the Gen2 and Gen3 buckets are both the same size. The 1ZZ buckets will fit in either.
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having just done a similar process with the 4A with new high lift cams and shimless buckets

Order and install new Cams
Check and Write down all the clearances for every currently installed bucket as per normal

Take out new Cams
Measure with a micromiter the current thickness of shim+bucket
Then calculate what thickness shimless bucket you need.
Current clearance + Current shim/bucket - required clearance = new shimless bucket thickness.

Its all a very long and booring process.

Ben.

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Mon, 16 May 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup - still a gen2 head matt ..

510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3S head conversion of bucket and shims Wed, 18 May 2005 16:19 Go to previous message
To run 11mm lift cams in a Gen2 head, the lifter bores will need to tickled with a die grinder for lobe tip clearance, and you'll have to run shimless buckets (greater surface area for cam contact). You might have to do a little tickling with the top portion of the valve guides as well... Also, most springs are probably not going to be too happy with that much lift. I know the Ferrea springs will be ok (up to 14mm if I remember correctly) up around 11mm, but then you'll need their matching spring seats, reatiners, and then you might as well get the +1mm valves and cro-mo keepers as well (the buggers managed to make a neat kit of it all)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ta22 Brake problems
Next Topic:KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:21:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049068927764893 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.