Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Water to Air intercooler Sun, 15 May 2005 03:12 Go to next message
Ok, I know this topic has been done before (I've done some research Smile), and in recent frealMr2's thread (which didn't seem to really get closure)... I've also checked out ARE's links etc.

There are two options as I see it:

-Use a small air to air intercooler and enclose it in a water jacket (pass the air through the intercooler as per normal).
-Use an interior Air Conditioning core and send the water through the path designed for the AC gas/liquid and pass the air through the core.

The second option looks like it would be both easier and cheaper to implement, but I'd like to hear from the people that have actually looked in to W2A stuff to give me their insight.

Has anyone actually constructed an intercooler using the second method? If so what inlet/outlet temps did you get Smile

Cheers
Wilbo

Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Water to Air intercooler Sun, 15 May 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gt4 one is basically an encapsulated radiator... water pumps through the core of the radiator and the charge air passes through fins.
I believe this would have been done to minimise restriction to the charge air.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Water to Air intercooler Sun, 15 May 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs, I recall hearing that before as well...I don't suppose you know of a picture that shows what the internals look like in the GT4 unit? (fin pitch/density, and core size if you have that information readily available, if not I'm sure I can research the dimensions) Smile Are 1G-GTE W2A units the same design method?

Hmm, also do you know of anyone what that has measured pre/post temp of the intercooler in a GT4?

Cheers
Wilbo
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Water to Air intercooler Sun, 15 May 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run a pwr wta in my car. I couldnt be happier with it. The temp of the water running through it never goes over 45 deg even on the hottest of days. And if the water temp is 45 deg than i cant see why the air temp would be any hotter.

Get one of them or just get a gt4 one or the like. Also, a lot of it will come down to the size of your heat exchanger and weather you run thermos as well.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Water to Air intercooler Sun, 15 May 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could have a look at my ST165 intercooler later tonight as it's not in the car at the moment.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Water to Air intercooler Sun, 15 May 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 13:12

Ok, I know this topic has been done before (I've done some research Smile), and in recent frealMr2's thread (which didn't seem to really get closure)...

haha.. yeah, i havnt figured out exactly which way i will go yet. when i do i'll revive my thread and post pics of which type of w2a core i make. i'm still favouring the 2nd option you have which is what i wanted to do with the heater core i have at home (posted a pic of it in my thread). mainly as i would basiacly have to construct the w2a core myself. and i do like to fiddle to see if DIY things at home work.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Water to Air intercooler Sun, 15 May 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 21:57

wilbo666 wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 13:12

Ok, I know this topic has been done before (I've done some research Smile), and in recent frealMr2's thread (which didn't seem to really get closure)...

haha.. yeah, i havnt figured out exactly which way i will go yet. when i do i'll revive my thread and post pics of which type of w2a core i make. i'm still favouring the 2nd option you have which is what i wanted to do with the heater core i have at home (posted a pic of it in my thread). mainly as i would basiacly have to construct the w2a core myself. and i do like to fiddle to see if DIY things at home work.

Yep you'rr on the exact same track of things as me, I'm just doing the leg work much as you were! Smile Be sure to keep us update with how things are going with yours!

fatmr2: What you need to understand is that this is a very budget affair. If I could afford to buy a nice brand new, or even a secondhand W2A or A2A I would. I am attempting to become the worlds largest tightarse Smile What sort of design is your PWR one? I suspect it will be an enclosed intercooler core...?

RWDboy: Mate It'd be great if you can have a look at your ST165 core for us! (some dimensions and some pics would be awesome if thats at all possible).

Cheers
Wilbo
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Water to Air intercooler Mon, 16 May 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because these things are encapsulated it would be very difficult to measure the actual size of the core without destroying the intercooler.

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Water to Air intercooler Mon, 16 May 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 09:18

fatmr2: What you need to understand is that this is a very budget affair. If I could afford to buy a nice brand new, or even a secondhand W2A or A2A I would. I am attempting to become the worlds largest tightarse Smile What sort of design is your PWR one? I suspect it will be an enclosed intercooler core...?

HA HA HA! Fair enough. And yeah, it does have an enclosed core.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Water to Air intercooler Mon, 16 May 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 11:10

Because these things are encapsulated it would be very difficult to measure the actual size of the core without destroying the intercooler.

Hmm I guess that's true. What are the rough external dimensions? You must be able to see the fins looking down the intake to the unit, can you take a guess at the fin pitch (and also if you know of a pic, or can take one that would be great).

The fin pitch more than anything would be helpful, I'm not sure if an internal AC core has close to the same pitch. I think that its not a huge issue, just the more information I can collect the better!

fatmr2: The temps were helpful btw! For reference what size is your core? (rough measurements are fine!)

Cheers
Wilbo
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Water to Air intercooler Mon, 16 May 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The whole unit is about the same size as an aristo intercooler.
Will try to take a happy snap through the inlet to show you what sort of design the core is.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Water to Air intercooler Mon, 16 May 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is my water to air that i make for starlets,

http://braidedlines.com/gallery/albums/Starlet/star3.sized.jpg
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Water to Air intercooler Mon, 16 May 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10sec_rx7 wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 16:01

I saw you posting pictures of that in feral4Mr2's thread as well...It looks quite nice Smile

Looks like a normal intercooler core wrapped. I don't suppose you have inlet temps/measurements you would like to post?

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Mon, 16 May 2005 07:46]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Water to Air intercooler Wed, 18 May 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs & RWDboy, any luck on those pics/rough measurements?

Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Water to Air intercooler Wed, 18 May 2005 01:28 Go to previous message
wilbo666 wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 17:33

10sec_rx7 wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 16:01

I saw you posting pictures of that in feral4Mr2's thread as well...It looks quite nice Smile

Looks like a normal intercooler core wrapped. I don't suppose you have inlet temps/measurements you would like to post?

Cheers
Wilbo

the cores are a custom size we get to fit them in starlets,
we have a different size radiator which is 520x200x30mm for them now so they fit with out any trimming of the front bar,

with out a good radiator the system will never work properly!

i have a data log on my laptop of a 4th gear pull on the dyno, you can do 9 pulls back to back before the temp starts to rise up really noticably, after 12 pulls it will take around 5min to cool back down,

ill do a data log on the street next week when i get my licence back,
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:corona mods
Next Topic:Gas Tank in Shape of spare tyre bay ??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:25:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051000118255615 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.