Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » any camera nuts out there...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
any camera nuts out there... Thu, 12 May 2005 16:46 Go to next message
guys i just wanted to know the difference between the kodak CX range and DX range... anyone know cause other than the look i cant seem to see any difference
  Send a private message to this user    
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: any camera nuts out there... Thu, 12 May 2005 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you tried http://www.dpreview.com/
?

When i first saw that url i was thinking it was a site double penetration reviews. It sadly isnt.

Sorry to drag it this low.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any camera nuts out there... Thu, 12 May 2005 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy a canon, not a pentax Nod
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: any camera nuts out there... Thu, 12 May 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup get a canon instead the kokak cameras are junk imho.

the canon IXUS range are awesome cameras if you want something to slip into your pocket and go. and take great photos to boot. if you want something a hint bigger with larger optics the canon power shot S range are really nice, not a big fan of the A series of canons though.

if you want something genuinly heavy duty and you already have 35mm SLR gear and have EF lenses then the canon 10D is becoming pretty cheap second hand and pro's are off loading them upgrading to the 1D series. second hand they are around the same price as the 300D and are orders of magnitude better,

if you want some photos from either the IXUS or 10D just yell we have both of them here.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: any camera nuts out there... Thu, 12 May 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get the new 350D with 8 megapixel, go canon woot. Errr i just have a film cannon slr with a 90-300mm lens, very good. There is an amercian site like steve's cmara's or something, really good reviews like 6 pages long.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go either canon SLR or canon point and shoot. Honestly, don't touch kodak.

As an example.
I have a canon. I plug it into my laptop via usb cable. No worries, up it comes, mass storage device, get photos, no worries. Works the same on all my work buddies laptops too.

Dad has a kodak. I plug it into my laptop via usa cable. Camera goes fucking loopy with flashing lights and stuff, and the computer just sits there, no auto detection, no nothing. Same on three other laptops. Pffff.... 10x zoom but no way to copy the photos. Fuck that.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my dad bought a Nikon point and shoot, 8.4x optical or some shit, anyway good camera, and same experience as you with the canon for computer compatibility plug in and on the photos go, just need the nikon software on there though.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, you see, canon needs no software.
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would also recommend to go a cannon
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but atleast the software came with the camera, probably didn;t need it for the nikon either as windows would recognise the device and install its own drivers, but the program for the nikon is very easy to use so i am not complaining.
Canon has a great supply of aftermarket lenses, and make a lot more genuine accessories than the other ie most pentax camera's you will buy sigma lense for, but canon you have the choice personally i went for the genuine artcile as it is better. Sigma have had a dodgy reputation in the past.
Oh and canon were the first in aus to realise the buget 8 megapixel cameras so they will come down in price faster. And there professional range ie 10D 1 D etc are the best, the newer digital slr's not sure about the 350D but the one slightly above that shares the same architure in componentry to the 10D.
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have found canon to be fairly abuse proof. but it depends what you want- happy snap camera thats small- go ixus; slr but not professional- go 300D or 350D. Want something professional, go 20D or 10D.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't get the 300D its only 6 megapixel the new 350d is much better ie features and is 8.0 megapixel, more frames per second constant shoot i think aroud 9 not sure though. Plus by spending a little extra now it will last you longer in the future before being superseeded.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SLR is great fun, what you see is what you get, plus its requires more talent and makes you look more professional lol. Should of seen the first time i rocked up at driftland for a saturday i didn't even have my lens then and the lady was quizzing me like it was the spanish inquisition on if i was a professional photograher,when i said it was just for fun she was very confused.
Then when just chatting to ppl throughout the day its good, had a chat to the official photographer a couple of times at the drift days gave me a couple of tips and just asked him what he thinks about digital cameras etc. He said you still can't beat film for quality but to get that quality you have to be a lot better of a photographer. This is mainly due to the fact of success rate, digital is great in terms of being able to delete shit photos/take more and in general just take more photos.
But my SLR is now around 300 bucks add another 280 for a good lens and there a lot of film to practice with before you reach the cost of digital.
Put it this way before i go out and buy a digi cam i will make sure i really want it because theres not much my camera can't do anyway. And also make sure that i am really interested in photograhy not just a passing fad cos 1500 bucks is a lot to spend on something you use maybe once evry couple of months.
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a Kodak DX3700 (3.1 MP). It's got the docking station and stuff. I found it to be pretty good and had no dramas with it.No macro or anything but a useful camera all the same.

Having said that a few months ago I got a Sony Cybershot DSC-F717 (5.0MP). It the shit. Awsome macro and all the bells and whistles. An excellent camera.

Cheers, Greg.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another vote for the Canon 350D. Nod
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id say that it depends what price you end up paying for it. I just bought a 10D for $1350 with a lens. I was looking to buy the 20D but for the price, this was a good buy.

If you are looking for a non-professional digital slr, then the 350D is the way to go. And i think it does up to 2.8 frames per second for about 8 frames, or something like that.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Farkurnell wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 17:22

Having said that a few months ago I got a Sony Cybershot DSC-F717 (5.0MP). It the shit. Awsome macro and all the bells and whistles. An excellent camera.
Cheers, Greg.

Yeah, I got that Sony model also. It's a brilliant digital camera and gets rave reviews. It is an awesome instrument - you can't beat a large aparture Carl Zeiss glass lens.

Anything over 5M pixels is a waste unless you intend to do prints larger than A3. Also small plastic lens are crap. I think the Canon uses a glass lens. My mother-in-law bought a compact Canon 5M pixel a few weeks ago. It's a nice camera, heaps of features and does excellent photos, but the Sony beats it dead.

The larger aparture cameras can support the Cokin P-series filter system. I've got about 6 cameras - including the old Nikormat (circa 1968) which I use for astrophotography and they can all use the same filter system. I'm gonna have to try the Sony DSC on some astrophotography. I've seen some other astro pics using this camera and they come out great.

seeyuzz
river
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just bought a 350D (well, Rebel XT) last week, great camera, but the kit lens is pretty average.

I shot this pic with it:
http://ribfeast.no-ip.com/mistymorning.jpg

Next purchase is definitely a better lens, you can't expect much from the $100 lens you get with it. I'd be avoiding Kodak personally as their low end stuff is pretty average. Check out the Canon Powershot and G series cameras, if you can afford a digital SLR then they are definitely the way to go. I'm very happy with my 350D. Just be prepared to budget for lenses, flash cards, filters etc. The camera is just the down-payment lol Smile

Can't wait to use it at Autosalon Sydney tomorrow!
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Fri, 13 May 2005 15:03]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked thanks for all the replies guys, but im not a pro, i just want a camera that is 4-5MP or over, takes great pics (not like my barely average $100 3MP one, something durable obviously cause when i work on my car and take pics of the progress i aint in the cleanest or most stable mind (especially when things dont go right Rolling Eyes )...

but i dont want a point and shoot camera either, i would like to use it for parties, outings, etc, etc... i was looking at the kodak DX7440... oh yeah the most important thing is that i REALLY dont want to spend $1K for it, i was looking at something more in the range of $300 Rolling Eyes but like i said i dont want to be selling photos to the papers just personal stuff that looks good and can accomodate for lighting and different times of day shots without getting red eye and the like...

any suggerstions with this added info???

once again MAD opinions and reviews, great help here Very Happy

EDIT: ribfeast... awsome pic mate, the detail is great, but i cant afford $1k for a camera, hell i could get my motor rebuilt and bored and all for that much Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 13 May 2005 15:00]

Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to canon's australia website and look at their ixus range. We have an ixus 400 and it is a fantastic camera. Has loads of options too, like macro, portrait and landscape features.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks man Smile
OK check out the Canon Ixus range. If you could stretch your budget to $500 it opens up a lot of better cameras.
Best bet is go to www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au, centre.net.au, or digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au (all are cheap aussie places to buy from), pick something in your price range (Pentax Optio, Canon Ixus, etc etc), then check out the reviews and opinions of that camera on www.dpreview.com. I'd avoid Kodak personally, the picture quality and build just doesn't seem to be as good. I just sold my Pentax Optio S4 4 megapixel last night for $350 with 512MB card, so the secondhand market is worth a look too.
forced_induction
Regular

August 2004
Re: any camera nuts out there... Fri, 13 May 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i worked for kodak for bout 8 months. the kodak cameras are okay, but canon ones shit all over em. however if your after something for simple point and shoot that still has the ability to take good detail shots, then maybe chose something like a sony cybershot. ive got one with 5.1 MP and it takes awesome shots. also the 2.5in lcd screen is far easier to work with than the pissy undersized kodak ones
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: any camera nuts out there... Sat, 14 May 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/ xt-350d.shtml
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: any camera nuts out there... Sat, 14 May 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_digpro.html this is this site i was talking about the man gives some good indepth reviews, american but most models are the same just slightly different naming codes.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: any camera nuts out there... Sun, 15 May 2005 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once again thanks for all the links and opinions...

im gonna hold off for a couple months cause my mates sister is coming back from japan fos my mates wedding so im gonna get her to get me a camera from there...

have been leaning towards the canon 350D, all the reviews have been awsome and the pics are even better than words Shocked

cheers
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: any camera nuts out there... Mon, 16 May 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 09:28

get the new 350D with 8 megapixel, go canon woot.

It's on the way to my hands Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ...

Gotta love employee prices too...

[Updated on: Mon, 16 May 2005 01:00]

Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: any camera nuts out there... Mon, 16 May 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you buy it from Japan, will you still get Australian warranty?
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: any camera nuts out there... Mon, 16 May 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e, I am looking to upgrade to Digital SLR and would need to part with my current Sony Cybershot DSCP92 (5 megapixel), with a 16mb memory stick and a 128mb memory stick (both genuine Sony) and a genuine Sony leather bag.

http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/products/DSCP92.jpg
http://i.s8.com.br/images/cinephoto/cover_tn/img1/pq230041.jpg

Here are some of the photo's I've taken with it:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/the_rainbirds/toyotacelicasx/celica001.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/the_rainbirds/toyotacelicasx/celimish001.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/the_rainbirds/toyotacelicasx/celimish003.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/the_rainbirds/toyotacelicasx/celimish002.jpg

Looking at around $380 for the lot... Only if you're interested.

[Updated on: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:36]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: any camera nuts out there... Mon, 16 May 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and the other advantage of the digital slr's is that they have an inbuilt magnification so in the case of the 350D it's 1.6x zoom so that means that a 300mm lens becomes a 480mm lens, generally they'll give you a 18-55mm lens with the camera to compensate for this with macro photos.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: any camera nuts out there... Mon, 16 May 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rainey: might take you up on that offer if the japan purchase doesnt go through... im still really deciding if i should go for SLR or normal camera

i love the SLR but i aint no photographer and im not going to be buying lenses all the time... hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm decisions decisions

only time will tell what i do Very Happy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: any camera nuts out there... Mon, 16 May 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my opinion...

ixus suck... battery life, startup time etc...

pentax optio are great fro their size...

me, i'm getting a ricoh R2 in two weeks Wink... very fast startup, long battery life, good results.. only issue is that you can't use it as a flash memory device... easy to use and good range of manual inputs if you want.
also has 28mm (effective) zoom, for a wider angle than most compact digi's
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pag econtent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.yodob ashi.com%2fenjoy%2fmore%2fi%2fcat_89_13530039_1582 727%2f35193483.html
39,800yen

i also like the look of the casio Exilim Z57's... thats one big arsed LCD!!
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pag econtent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.yodob ashi.com%2fenjoy%2fmore%2fi%2fcat_89_13530039_1582 730%2f34579595.html
43,700yen.

SLR.. thats a totally different kettle of fish Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:29]

Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: any camera nuts out there... Mon, 16 May 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like that second Celica photo! Smile Great shots there! Any post-processing done?
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: any camera nuts out there... Mon, 16 May 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e: No worries mate, just drop me a PM if your interested. You are the first person I've offered it to because I've been unsure if I was going to sell it. Its a great, compact little camera and I paid $850.00 for it brand new. Its always been looked after and kept in the bag so you can be assured its in as new condition. Cool

ribfest: Thanks man! No post processing or photoshopping was done, they are how the pictures were taken in raw form. They were however taken at 5 megapixels and reduced for cardomain, therefore they've lost some original quality.
puzzle man
Forums Junkie

Official Cruise Dude

March 2004
Re: any camera nuts out there... Wed, 18 May 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used 2 use my Minolta (best lenses in the world) only 3.2 pixels but i sware by it. a really good point and shot BUT all so really good pix i payed $500 about 2 years ago
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/593000-593999/593805_40_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/370000-370999/370203_208_full.jpg

all info here
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E323/E323A.H TM

i always wanted a SLR u know with Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority. but was not going 2 by shit
i wanted 2 stay with Minolta but $2500 later.
so i got my hands on a Fuji FinePix S5500 for only $500 new.
this is the one be for it
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S5100/S51A.H TM

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/593000-593999/593805_67_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/593000-593999/593805_70_full.jpg

I'm really happy with my FUJI have to be happy with the price to
Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 18 May 2005 05:39]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: any camera nuts out there... Wed, 18 May 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
puzzle man that camera looks awsome. great features and all... only let down i see is the 4MP... bt the S7000 now thats a new option i have to looka t for sure
westlife
Regular

September 2003
Re: any camera nuts out there... Thu, 26 May 2005 14:09 Go to previous message
Champ im in the exact same positon as you and ive been reading reviews like crazy.From what Ive read the best for $400under try getting a Fuji S5500,Canon A520 or the SONY L1s.There are a couple of more worth mentioning but I forget which ones.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hmmmmmmm?
Next Topic:Funny flash
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:58:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.008821964263916 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.