league.

any ideas suggestions possible
solutions would be greatly appreciated
guys, thx for listening to my story Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: st162 died during idle Mon, 16 May 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well its a process of illimination mate. things to check in order. (im my opinion that is) Wink

1. dizzy
2. AFM
3. ignitor

the dizzy is the most likely suspect. do you have spark to the plugs? if so the AFM could have died.

good luck
Karl
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: st162 died during idle Mon, 16 May 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might want to tell us what you mean by 'wont start'.

Does the motor turn over but not fire? Or do you turn the key and nothing happens?
verbatim210
Regular

April 2005
Re: st162 died during idle Mon, 16 May 2005 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u know when u turn the key and it goes "chi chi chi"? well it makes that sound and im waiting for the "vroom". jonny says that means fuel isnt getting into the engine, and im assuming it also means the sparkies are working.

whats an afm?

also heres a hint:
the other day i ran dry on fuel, and the car wouldnt start. the symptoms are exactly the same except this time i've got a full fuel tank. so instead of running out of fuel, i think they fuel is not getting to the engine (new fuel pump installed so much be wiring/electrical) jonny suggested my ecu might have gone, or its somewhere along those lines

thanks guys
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: st162 died during idle Mon, 16 May 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you ran the tank dry, there's a good chance your fuel filter is blocked since it woud have sucked up all the crap at the bottom of your tank.

Change the filter and see if this makes any difference - it won't cost much and might be the answer to your problem! If it is the cause it would certainly fit in with what your mechanic is saying about fuel not making it to the engine.

-Matt
verbatim210
Regular

April 2005
Re: st162 died during idle Tue, 17 May 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thx matt,

um first of all the fuel filter is a bitch to re-install, i watched jonnie do it and it took a lot of sweat out of him coz its in a hard to reach area. second of all, do you really think i sucked all the crap up? i guess thats a plausable explanation but i was just wondering coz i drove the car around for quite a while (since the incident where i ran the tank dry) until it died on me
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: st162 died during idle Tue, 17 May 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the fuel filter isn't that hard. just do it quick or else you'll get high on fumes
just remember if you do change it it wont start first go afterwards for the first time. you'll need to crank it a few times (maybe to get the fuel up there again)
while your changing it it might be a good time to see how much fuel is being pumped up to the engine and see in the service manual if its ok.

anyways stop stuffing around with what it 'could' be. have you bridged the terminals on the diagnosis in the computer? what did it come up with?

matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: st162 died during idle Tue, 17 May 2005 05:12 Go to previous message
verbatim210 wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 12:40

thx matt,

um first of all the fuel filter is a bitch to re-install, i watched jonnie do it and it took a lot of sweat out of him coz its in a hard to reach area. second of all, do you really think i sucked all the crap up? i guess thats a plausable explanation but i was just wondering coz i drove the car around for quite a while (since the incident where i ran the tank dry) until it died on me

I suppose it depends on how much crap is in there, but it has certainly been known to happen. Wasn't sure how long ago you ran it dry, but if it was running OK for a while after that then that would make one think it wasn't the problem.

A blocked fuel filter can behave very erratically though, so don't rule it out just yet. I once had a 4Runner that was started to cough and splutter at higher rpm (3500+), but act fine below that. It would act up for a while, and then the problem would disappear for weeks, only to return later on. One of the first things I did was a visual check of the filter, and could see the fuel flowing though it at idle so I dismissed it. I spent ages trying to chase it down after that, changing ignition bits, using carby cleaner, etc to no avail. I eventually figured I'd change the filter anyway, and viola - problem solved!

Hope you get her going again soon.

-Matt
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZGTE Misfire - Cruise Control ?
Next Topic:gen3 3sgte into st165 gt4???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 07:35:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0035669803619385 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.