Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
tailshaft question Sun, 15 May 2005 08:08 Go to next message
what car came with a single piece tailshaft that mated to a W series box and T series rear? is there one such tailshaft available?
i got a 1 piece in my car now that goes to a W59 and an S series rear, on it it has written MX73 or MX83 (in the markers they use at the wreckers) cant remember. it doesnt look modified because its pretty old but i spose it would have to be.

so anyway is there a 1 piece available in early celicas or anything?
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tailshaft question Sun, 15 May 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would have to be fairly old to be a single-piece. MX13 MkII for example, I know they had a single-piece shaft and they have a W40 box. TA22's had a single-piece shaft but with a T50 box.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: tailshaft question Sun, 15 May 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn. even if i could change the yoke on a ta22 shaft it wouldnt be the right length. so i guess theres no getting around having to get a custom shaft made up just to upgrade from an S to a T series. Rolling Eyes
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: tailshaft question Sun, 15 May 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i tried a corona mark II one piece tailshaft on my RA40 and i found it to be a couple inches too long. this should be the same for the ra28/23 i would assume.

i have one of these tailshafts if ure interested. pm me
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: tailshaft question Sun, 15 May 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably too long for a sprinter then unfortunately.

pm sent.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 May 2005 08:57]

jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: tailshaft question Sun, 15 May 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the tailshaft on my ta23(t50) is a single peice, the one on my ra28 is a 2 peice(w50).
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: tailshaft question Sun, 15 May 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wonder if i could use a celica 2 piece? i dunno if the length would be right tho i could prob try to mix and match celica/sprinter/t18 shafts, centre bearings, uni's and yokes.
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: tailshaft question Sun, 15 May 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just need to make some mounting points for the 2 peice tailshaft centre support
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tailshaft question Sun, 15 May 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a custom shaft made (I supplied the tube from a Cortina or something) cost $300. I wonder how much you will save if you hunt around and cobble something together?

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: tailshaft question Sun, 15 May 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MX73 is 2 piece. Have 1 or 2 around if you want them. PM me and I'll check where they are if you want.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: tailshaft question Sun, 15 May 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RT104 Corona has the right yokes at each end, and is 1 peice 3" diameter, with no tapers or rubber damper. Unfortunately don't have the length handy sorry...
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: tailshaft question Mon, 16 May 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
te72_turbo: is this what you have in your car? what gearbox and diff? a te72 would have to be very close in length to a sprinter.

clubagreenie: maybe it said mx83 on it then. are they 1 piece?

yellowrolla: yeah im being a tightarse, i was just hoping something could be put together cheaply cause if im gonna be going to the trouble of a custom shaft i may as well upgrade to a better diff than a T series. i was only gonna put in the t series cause its cheap, cause its only slightly better than an S series im led to believe.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tailshaft question Mon, 16 May 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought that I would let you know the approximate cost involved for a custom item - as for being tight, I love seeing people get out of these things as inexpensively as is possible while maintaining an acceptable degree of safety (can TE_72Turbo hear this?).

So why not get a better diff tightarse? Laughing
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: tailshaft question Mon, 16 May 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha yeah i had a tailshaft made up for a mate for a cortina with W55 and it was less than $400 and we didnt supply anything.

im just wondering what i should do, i mean im using the standard S series and have had no problems, and thats with around 200RWKW's but its heaps laggy and i dont thrash it so i suppose its never on boost when i drop the clutch which is rare i usually ride it i figure its cheaper to do clutches. so i dunno if i shoul djust go the cheapo t series option and possibly get lsd one day or get a hilux, commodore or something modified to suit?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: tailshaft question Mon, 16 May 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You teasing my car Jase? Very Happy I made the mistake of an under-engineered tailshaft once.... wouldn't happen again. There's still 6 holes in the bitchumen to prove it Razz

Yes EVO, I do have the 3" tailshaft from the corona in my car (which is an AE71 panelvan, don't be fooled by the TE72 logon Smile ), with a W55 gearbox & F series LSD diff. The tailshaft was shortened 35mm.

If you added up the cost of the tailshaft from a wreckers, then paid a diff shop to replace the uni's & shorten (as I did), then it works out to around $300 anyway.

Cheers
Phil
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: tailshaft question Tue, 17 May 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i thought you had an ae71 pannelvan, i remember it at the track a couple of months ago.
yeah stuff it ill prob just get a t series for the time being and see what i can put together. pitty pick and payless aint in ingleburn anymore Rolling Eyes
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: tailshaft question Tue, 17 May 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida? I know that a MXxx Cressy 1 piece will fit a t50 driveline on a TExx but you have to shorten it by an inch. So probably shorter for a Wxx box. Confused

[Updated on: Tue, 17 May 2005 04:14]

gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tailshaft question Tue, 17 May 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a tailshaft custom made to suit BW diff and a ta22 t50 gb, i got a ta22 shaft for 25$ from the wreckers, i got a shaft to suit the BW with the diff

Took it to local driftshaft peoples, $180, new unis and balanced Smile
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tailshaft question Tue, 17 May 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most MX62 Cressidas have a one piece tail shaft (I believe that some also have two piece shafts?...). They have the same yoke as a W5X and bolt to an E series diff (Not sure if that has the same flange as a T series).

I have measurements floating around if that would help?

Cheers
Wilbo
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tailshaft question Tue, 17 May 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've found S, T, E & F diff flanges are all the same!
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: tailshaft question Tue, 17 May 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo if you have measurements somewhere that could come as a help, cause id like to know if the one piece in my sprinter is custom or stock.
Indi
Regular

December 2004
Re: tailshaft question Tue, 17 May 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't the stock sprinter tailshaft a two piece item and you just use the front half of the S series tailshaft and the back half of the T series tailshaft and bolt them together?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tailshaft question Tue, 17 May 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I measured my MX62 (Auto) one piece shaft length to be 1355mm. There might be a few mm of slop in that measurement Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: tailshaft question Tue, 17 May 2005 11:11 Go to previous message
Indi wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 16:27

Isn't the stock sprinter tailshaft a two piece item and you just use the front half of the S series tailshaft and the back half of the T series tailshaft and bolt them together?

yes it is, but as i said above i have a W59 and a single piece so i cant go that option.

thanks wilbo for that. ill have a look at mine when i can so i have a comparison.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone out there seriously modding 22RE's?
Next Topic:coilover sleeves from groupbuy
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 22:12:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064060688018799 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.