Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
What engine for t18 Tue, 17 May 2005 06:05 Go to next message
A friend of mine and I have a t18 which we are using to compete in a local sprint series. The series consists of 7 rounds a year, each round consists of 5 sets of 4 timed laps. One track is run, a short go kart track with a relavitely short main straight a number of other straights less than 100 metres in length. At the moment corner speed vary between 30 and 80km/h at a guess.

The car currently runs a stock standard 3tc, no power house that for sure.

We are looking to keep running the car for while longer and would like to know the best way about getting more power.

I guess the main options are to work the 3tc, get a 2tg or 2/3tg hybrid, 4age or some other engine.

Ideally forced induction should be avoided as it puts us into an open class (due to capacity multiplier). Realistically we are not going to be winning position in any class without a huge outlay, but it would be nice to go as fast as possible. The lead car in the <2000cc class is also the outright lap reckon holder so we have little chance of ever catching him. All other classes are within a second of this car except for the v8 category which is another second slower.

So what the best idea. Something extreme is not needed, ideally the best bang for the buck without going forced induction. Simplicity of modification is a bonus, but we are not discounting too much at this stage.

Thanks,
Tim
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What engine for t18 Tue, 17 May 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps a later 3SGE? At a couple of CC under 2 litres, you're onto a winner really.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What engine for t18 Tue, 17 May 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i vote 3sge as well the leader of the improved production class under 2L in NSW has a AE86 running a 3sge.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: What engine for t18 Tue, 17 May 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's the budget?
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: What engine for t18 Tue, 17 May 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By 3sge I assume you mean the earlier fwd/transverse type, not the later rwd beams is200 type as that is certainly out of the budget Smile What type of power do these make and would there be any benefit over say a sr20de or similar?

Budget, I suppose around 2k might be expected as it is a longer term prospect, that can be flexible though. It doesnt have to be registered, doesnt have to comply with emmisions, doesnt have to be fuel efficient, doesnt have to idle well etc, so in the case of efi I guess a cheaper second hand microtech or similar may be the way to go.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: What engine for t18 Tue, 17 May 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want a reliable known quantity for 2000 you'd be hard pressed to get anything but a 2T-G or similar.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: What engine for t18 Tue, 17 May 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you done suspenson work yet?
for a track car, your going to be a hell of a lot better off getting some nice tyres, wheels, springs and shocks than a better engine.
if you want $2000 for a engine, that pretty much leaves it down to the 2tg or 4age
2tg is going to be a much easier swop!
DazTX3
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: What engine for t18 Tue, 17 May 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im the other bloke who owns the car with Tim.

We have done suspension work already, and are always in the process of upgrading on the basis of when bargains come up.

We still arnt too sure on what our long term plan is for the car. We have to decide on how much we want to spend on it, because we know that it will never be a front runner. So we have to balance out making it go faster to how much it will cost us. Obviously spending $6k on an engine swap that would still not put us up front is silly.

Realistically, we have to look at wether it would be worth spending $500 working the 3T (extractors, shaved head, valve springs, cam, carb, all on the cheap) or spending $1500 or so on a 4age swap that may or may not make us go significantly faster.

Regarding how the engine produces power, currently around the track which is just over 1km long, I run the whole thing in 2nd gear, only having to shift into 3rd on the entry to the straight. Obviously torque is the key to that, and I dont really want to go from lots of torque to lots of revs but having to down shift to 1st for the tight corners. Ideally, we want to keep the low rev torque and have the engine rev out more to say 6500-7000 (at the moment it revs to around 4500-5000 and then dies in the arse.)
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: What engine for t18 Tue, 17 May 2005 12:29 Go to previous message
Yeah darren put it better, it seems flexiblity is the key to this track.
A lot of the turbo cars can suffer in that regard.

The quickest car is a datsun 1200 ute with the original a series, taken out to 1.6litres with efi. Its fractionally quicker than a modded evo 8 for example.

Another car which does remarkebly well on a budget (as opposed to the datto ute which is an all out affair) is an r30 skyline. Its heavily lightened and runs a pretty much standard rb30. I imagine it would only crack a mid-high 14, not a rocketship really. Its only a second or so off the leaders, with random suspension parts he claims he "found out in the bush".

I guess a 2tg might be the go eventually. We have a spare 3tc which I guess could lead to a hybrid conversion build up while we learn to drive the wheels off the current car.

Jesse- Yep, tires are a definate point holding us back. We will keep flogging around on what we have for a while until funds become available.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Turbos / Oil Shortage
Next Topic:AE 86 JDM Part Numbers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 00:11:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050070285797119 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.