Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

icon5.gif  T-18 engine swap Fri, 18 October 2002 10:55 Go to next message
hi fellow toyota modders, i currently have a 1980 T-18 (te72) with the standard 3T-C shitty engine with the T-50 gearbox. im currently thinkin about replacing the engine and ive dont sum research but im still not sure which engine 2 place in it. I was looking at either 3T-GTE, 2T-GE, or a 4A-GZE. Which do u think would be the better 1 to put in if i was to do mods to it to get maximum power, thanks

Send a private message to this user    
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Fri, 18 October 2002 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A "T" series engine would be easiest. a 4agze is also possible. The T Engines are getting quite long in the tooth making them expensive for your dollar.
Personally i feel a T-18 isnt really worth doing a conversion into as they are highly acclaimed as being one of the worst handleing cars ever produced.
BUT.. Each to their own. If you really have your heart set on it.. do it.. But bear in mind. .The T-18 has VERY ordinary brakes.. solid discs on front i believe and drums on rear.. so you will need to rectify this also. And a Suspension package.. Shocks/springs/swaybars.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Fri, 18 October 2002 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's worth remembering that the T18 chassis is very similar to the AE86 chassis, and I don't hear anyone complaining about their handling. Sure in stock form a T18 is pretty ordinary, but then again so is an AE86. Spend a bit of money in the right places though and it will handle very nicely indeed.

As for the engine swap, my personal preference would be a T series engines simply because they're so damn strong and they're capable of massive HP without having to replace most of the internals. A 2T-GEU is a great place to start, then whack a turbo on it and you'll have a real weapon on your hands. It's also possible to use your existing 3T-C bottom end to make a 1.8L "stroker" 2T-GEU.

The 3T-GTEU is a good bit of gear as well, but they're very hard to find in good condition these days and if you find one they tend to cost more than they're really worth. The 4A-GZE is probably a better option than the 3T-GTEU, but I suppose it depends whether you want to modify it in future.
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

icon10.gif  Re: T-18 engine swap Sat, 19 October 2002 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks norbie, im gonna have a look at a 2t-geu on monday, hopefully its in good nick. if it doesn't have a computer, what would ya recommend to put on it?
BoRaZ
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Sat, 19 October 2002 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I dont know where this info of T18's not handling came from,
I have a 1980 TE72 T18 with sway bars front and rear,
lowering springs (not cut springs) and 4 wheel disc brakes
and it handles like its on rails and stops no problem,
brakes better than my last car which was a 2000 Daewoo Lanos Sport, as for the engine, mine has a 2TGEU in it, unmodded and goes just fine, this engine will also take the GZE supercharger unit with little trouble (4SFED has done this)
I rate the T18 very highly for driveability and handling (dont know what a standard one handles like, but sway bars are cheap)
another bonus with this engine is that being an older injected engine you can use whatever fuel you like (ie. super, unleaded or premium), some cheapish mods to instantly produce more power is to put a 3T crank in it as it goes straight in, mine hasnt got one but ive read up on it, other stuff is to put bigger injectors in, aftermarket ECU if your so inclined, the list goes on...
just my 2c
Go the T18!!!!

-cheers

Matt
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Sun, 20 October 2002 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pheonix wrote on Sat, 19 October 2002 19:48

thanks norbie, im gonna have a look at a 2t-geu on monday, hopefully its in good nick. if it doesn't have a computer, what would ya recommend to put on it?

The factory computer is an extremely simple unit, so just about anything would be an improvement. The ignition system is not electronically controlled so you only need a fuel computer (although fuel/ignition would be better if you want to spend the money).
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Sun, 20 October 2002 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phoenix, I'm glad to hear you're doing up a T18. I reckon they are one of the most highly under-rated cars out there. Go for it.

It might be a bit off topic, but what is it with everyone saying T18s handle like crap. Have the people spouting this ever driven one? I've had one stock, now have one lowered with good springs and shocks and also drive an AE86 with big swaybars. And the stock T18 handled basically identically to the stock Sprinter (brakes didn't feel massively different either). The one with good suspension is awesome fun too, definitely feels better than a Sprinter with the bars.

Sure it's hard to find a T18 in good nick now, and yes a car with 20 year old shocks and springs could well handle like crap, but it isn't some inherent weakness of the car. Anyone's welcome to take my T18 for a hammer and see for themselves.

I think that's two cents worth
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: T-18 engine swap Mon, 21 October 2002 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah. Go the T18s! Same floor between A/K/TE70/71/72/86, only thing the T18 misses is the rack and peanut steering. For something thats generally sold damned cheap, easy to beef up, and that wreckers almost give away spare parts for, you'd be mad not to have one Very Happy I'll probably be getting one when my ke55 eventually goes the way of the Dodo.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: T-18 engine swap Mon, 21 October 2002 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good to see a few guys sticking their necks out to support the T18!

Yes, they can be dog ugly, yes most of them are clapped out rusted buckets, but as said, with decent suspension (not mega $$$, just a few bucks in the right places) they are by no means an ordinary handler.

Stick a decent hp turbo 2TG/3TG in there and you can nicely steer it on the throttle anyways! Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 21 October 2002 12:44]

Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

icon14.gif  Re: T-18 engine swap Thu, 24 October 2002 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, i just bought myself the last model 2T-GE with full wiring harness and computer for $500, and it comes with extractors and a new clutch!!! Shocked it looks like its in good condition, and i can source a 3T crank, as we are goin to leave my other engine 3T-C alone and leave it in the car as we rebuild the 2T. So if i stroked the engine, what effect would boring the engine to 2L do performance wise. by doin so the injector size would have to significantly increased, am i correct.

ps, does anyone have a manual for the late model 2T-GE and is willing to sell it to me
thanks
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Thu, 24 October 2002 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be a bit scared of boring a T block out to 2 litres... I know it's been done before, but you're not leaving much meat between the bores! If you want a 2 litre engine, why not get an 18R-G?

As for the injectors, the required size is proportional to power output, not engine displacement (although these are loosely related of course). Does anyone know the flow rating of 2T-GEU injectors?
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

icon10.gif  Re: T-18 engine swap Fri, 25 October 2002 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys for all the help and for all of the guys who stand up for the T-18, as i personally think that mine acts like a go kart after a put the new suspension and springs on. One thing, i have always concidered to put a turbo on the T-18, and as you all have considerably more experience, wat sort of turbo would u reconmend for a stroked last model 2T-GEU, and how much would it cost?
thanks again
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Sat, 26 October 2002 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're on a budget, a CT26 or a series 4/5 RX7 turbo could work pretty well. Of course a brand new GT series turbo would be even better, but that's going to cost you!
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Sat, 26 October 2002 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
<--- see that there... guess how much. $50!

they are shit hot cars, mines got the original rooted suspention, if u adjust ur driving to accompinsate for shit suspention and keep ur foot off the brakes (so they dont boil) the car is a REAL FUN CAR TO DRIVE... at 180kmh is like a train on tracks, and only problem i have is understeer when im ploughing into a corner, but then thats easy fixed with braking in, ploughing out Smile

ive raced it at calder and get 92secs around the track, and it was fun as, with some suspention and brakes... i could get that down to around 85 (i kno this cause a gemini that im faster than in the straights does about 87 with lowered and better pads...)

i say go for it, an there is a lot of nice engines to choose from

WHY NOT SHU HORN A 1uzFE WITH TWIN PIPES AND A 6 SPEED SUPRA BOX!!! buahahha scary, but fuN!

btw: mine is stock as a rock apart from 2 1/4 inch exhaust, thats only on there cause i took it down a 4WD track and punctured the old one ! Smile the less respect u have for ur car, the more fun they are

[Updated on: Sat, 26 October 2002 04:32]

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Sat, 26 October 2002 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spot on Gearb0x, the less you love your car the more you use and abuse it, and so the more fun you have. And with T18s $200-300 will get you a whole "new" car so there's nothing stopping you from enjoying them. Bring on Team T18.

From what I've heard, boring a 2TG out to 2L may be a bit extreme. I think you'd also have to spend big dollars on custom forged pistons to fit.

There's also a serious ad from the 80's for the T18 and it is a laugh to read now. I'll try and get it scanned and posted somewhere.
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Sat, 26 October 2002 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2tgeu injectors are 210cc, same as bluetop map 4AGE... same impedence too.
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Sat, 26 October 2002 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1gz-fe Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Sat, 26 October 2002 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good idea, but where would the driver sit? Smile
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Sat, 26 October 2002 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adds new meaning to the term "backseat driver" Laughing
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

Re: T-18 engine swap Mon, 04 November 2002 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, haven't done anything to the engine as of yet as im waiting till i finish my final exams and them im free Very Happy . Just placed one of my Monza seats in the car and it looks sweet, and i should hopefully have sum pics of it up soon for ya to look at. As i have the late model 2T-GEU im having a lot of trouble finding information on the wiring as i have a few leads i have no idea about. Also im wondering wat people have done with their air intake as i also need to figure this out as im planning on buying a K&N pod filter or similar

thanks
blake
phrogmodz
Newcomer

November 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Mon, 04 November 2002 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the bonus youve got is that the engine bay is huge,anything will fit in there.
i have a ce71 wagon and have measured it for a iuzfe 4cam 4.0 v8
and 2jzgte supra engine they both will fit with a bit of patience.
ive changed mine from the standard 1c diesel to a rwd 4age and its a simple swap.
personally id go with the 4agze cause of its lightness when compared with a t series engine and they go hard after being converted to turbo.
just bolt in a ae70 crossmember and it will all fit like factory.
im currently converting mine to 3sgte two litre twincam turbo,heeps of room,heeps of power potential.
good luck with the swap.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Mon, 04 November 2002 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2T-GEU/18R-GEU wiring diagram:

http://www.norbie.net/images/eficirc.gif

BoRaZ
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: T-18 engine swap Mon, 04 November 2002 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

thanks mate!!!!

you are a bloody legend, that will come in heaps handy for me!!!

cheers,
Matt.
ToyT18
Regular

July 2004
Re: T-18 engine swap Tue, 17 May 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Refering to the sprinters Vs T-18 subject. maybe people are more biast towards sprinters for the fact that it was in a "cartoon" and think that because it was fast in a pretend cartoon its fast on the road which they are but in stock form an aus spec sprinter and a T-18 are just about the same performance wise so modifying both to get to a certain point is about the same other than the sprinter has a suposed 50:50 weight distribution. ive thrashed my stock T-18 against a stock sprinter up and down a mountain and its all down to driver skill. personally 2 or three years ago i would have loved a sprinter over a T-18 i almost owned a sprinter. but over the past 2 to 3 years im begining to think they are becomming a bit like R33 skylines and commodores in the popularity and driver personality aspect and its hard to find one thats not fucked. so the T-18 is a good choice to be different and stand out from the crowd. both cars are as good as each other i say.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: T-18 engine swap Tue, 17 May 2005 09:05 Go to previous message
everything from a 1jzgte down should fit
i remember seeing a pic of t18 with a 7mgte in it.

personally i'd got for 1ggte or 3sgte buti don't know how hard they are to put into a t18 i'm assume the same measurements as a sprinter ?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Electric Windows in RA28
Next Topic:18rg head casting
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 15:12:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006476879119873 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.