Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » The key to a good exhaust note...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MAD180
Regular

December 2004
The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 00:41 Go to next message
Hey all

Im looking at getting the exhaust done on my celica (st162) within the next week. I currently have the 3SGE motor in my car and a set of genie extractors. This is basically the only modification to the motor, and i would be looking at changing the air filter and induction soon, to a pod style filter with a heatshield and some piping run for better induction.

I was wondering, bearing all the above in mind what sort of exhaust i should go for, im looking for a good deep type tone. I dont want a raspy drone. so obviously i will need a resignator in there to eliminate that. I want a cannon style muffler, can anyone tell me what else i will need. Obviously you can not give an exact sound example. But i really am trying to avoid a droning system, or a tinny raspy system.

What size piping can you guys reccomend etc, does what i have mentioned above sound good ?
  Send a private message to this user    
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard from many people

Cannon = drone
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 10:51

Cannon = drone

Cannon is also known as the farting pipe and Milo tins ...

Have an exhaust note that you are happy with, not too a huge drone that you can't hear yourself think at any engine speed...

Cheers.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Run extractors from the engine and into a 2 to 2.5inch pipe. Near the back of the car put in a smallis 12 inch muffler - not a baby-size hot-dog style, but not a large one muffler, then about 6inches of pipe to the rear. Sounds perfect on an 18RG - nice deepish sound, no raspishness, no drones but has a good distinctive, untinny sound.

Certainly sounds better than some 4cyls and certainly better than a rotary (which always sound shit to me).

seeyuzz
river
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want your engine to sound like a WRX u can get extractors with primarys that join cylinders 1 with 2 and 3 with 4.

Great for their low efficiency and f00ly sik WRX sound.

Laughing

im sure genie know better than this so u can ignore my
post really
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or you could just pull out two spark plug leads Wink

Quote:

I was wondering, bearing all the above in mind what sort of exhaust i should go for, im looking for a good deep type tone. I dont want a raspy drone. so obviously i will need a resignator in there to eliminate that. I want a cannon style muffler, can anyone tell me what else i will need. Obviously you can not give an exact sound example. But i really am trying to avoid a droning system, or a tinny raspy system.

well, you already know what you want. i'm a fan of resonators (i have two in mine Razz, along with a large chambered reverse flow muffler which makes things very quiet at 8000rpm)

from my observations, the only cars that sound good with cannon style mufflers are turbo cars. reason being that the turbo chops up the exhaust and you lose a lot of the pulsation that you get with an NA car. ie the turbo restricts the exhaust, so you can have a milo tin muffler and still sound ok.

with your NA car, the milo tin will amplify the exhaust noise (imho) and sound... well..

in my opinion, the best sounding exhaust is one you don't notice. a resonator and then a large chambered muffler, preferably not 'straight thru/turbo' style, will flow well (if you pick a good size), not be loud, and because of the large chamber, will still have a deep tone...

but if you want a cannon, by all means just get one Smile it's not like it's an expensive decision anyway, so you can afford to try a few different ones.. (oh and get one that is well made, not just expensive/pretty)

Cya, Stewart
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Cannon is also known as the farting pipe and Milo tins ...

i like to call these wank tins.....

Been seen not heard

[Updated on: Tue, 17 May 2005 09:41]

EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the cannon i had on my corolla sounded awesome on boost
just to loud for every day use
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I do say so myself, my 2T is the best sounding 4 I've ever heard. 4-2-1 Pacemakers, 2" straight through with a resonator and baffle-less muffler. Has a big cam though which helps to no end. I get positive comments from everyone, even non-car oriented people...

Though it is 116+db at idle Sad
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 11:25

has a good distinctive, untinny sound.

Untinny.
Is that a real word Shane??
Smile

Cheers, Greg.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 2TG sounds good. 4 into 1 Genie extractors, 2" all the way. 2" glasspack hotdog style resonator after the extractors. 2" glasspack muffler up the back, dogleg style (offset pipes), with a open chamber in the middle of the muffler.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Farkurnell wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 20:27

Untinny.
Is that a real word Shane??
Smile
Cheers, Greg.

Awww, I make 'em up as I go along. I put dibs on the copyright for it anyway. Smile

seeyuzz
river
De@Noo
Regular

June 2004
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 10:51

Cannon = drone

yes i can also agree with that personally i wouldnt get a cannon again... I rekon lukey mufflers sound really awesome
mideon_696
Regular

October 2004
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine sounds bloody tops, cat-back 2.25inch, into 2.5 inch muffler, baffle-less resonator..

sweeeet as, everyone loves it, a lil too loud for some when driving, but eh, my car
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as you can see, some people prefer to have a loud, but 'nice' sounding exhaust, while others prefer to have the intake noise louder than the exhaust...

just stick something in and if you don't like it... change it.. simple Razz
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love the exhaust on my sprinter.
Kellam 4-1s, followed by pipe.... and lots of pipe.... through to more pipe... a few flanges.... and more pipe..... oh yeah and air.

Still somehow the quads manage to be louder.
I have various mufflers for it depending on circumstance, but when im racing its normally free flow. Although sometimes i have to muffle it for noise restrictions at certain tracks.
Toying with the idea of ending it with a hotdog glass pack res i have lying around. Probably wont do much, but ill just get a new "end" from the flange back made up with it.
Spence
Regular

January 2005
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is yours a manual? manuals tend to be a bit deeper. my bros telstar has extractors, 2 inch exhaust all in mild steel with a standard muffler, resinator and sounds deeper thats all. when the engines warm it sounds a little lumpy.

my supra has extractors a hot dog resinator and standard muffler and it also is deep without being loud.

i'm a fan of quieter exhausts especially cause i'd rather listen to music.

a canon muffler will just make the exhaust note louder. i say if you want it get it, they do look better i must admit.
Spence
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Tue, 17 May 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay dude, best thing for our cars are as follows:

1)Genie extractors or something similar, which you already have
2)High-flow cat if you want(these are expensive and not always an upgrade) though given the age of the car its probs still original so it might be effed, you can weld in some straight pipe if you want but i warn you its not legal
3)2.25" piping from cat back with a resonator midway(hotdog style) and a glass-packed muff with tip on the end.(get mandrel bend if possible!!!!)

with this setup it is reasonably quiet at idle(not much louder than stock) but when i give it stick it opens up very nicely.Not barky,not raspy but i reckon spot on.Im also under legal limit at about 80dB-85dB if done properly.

I've gone for a twin tip as it looks cool(i reckon) but if you get the muff with an option for different tips go that, cos if you dont like or get sick of one, cut it off and weld a new one onto the muff.

goodluck mate

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Wed, 18 May 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my sprinter has:

RWD factory exhaust manifold, factory secondaries.

2 inch press bent over diff, with a lukey open centre offset in centre out muffler, not sure what size, i'd say "medium"

i really like it, sounds fantastic at idle, but it has this annoying rasp kinda note at about 4000 rpm which i dont like.

i dont think fitting a resonator will fix this, will have to see after i replace all the bends with those of the mandrel variety.

i think it is legal too, have to measure it one day.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 May 2005 07:56]

DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Wed, 18 May 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want/& need to get a new system on my 86 when I have the funds... and hopefully I will get it sounding really nice...

at the moment it has the standard headers, going into the old ass cat... with standard pipe to a 3" supercat cannon with 4.5" tip....... very loud... definately defect worthy..(have been done for it before but got a silencer made and passed it)...

I plan to get a new system comprising of extractors..(what ever I get my hands on)..2.25-2.5" mandrel bent piping with a high-flow cat...a resonator of some descrition and finish with a smaller cannon.

I will have to see how this sounds..... I want it be as free flowing as possible but not to loud..so comprimises have to be made. It will be for a 4age... and Im going to make it so it will be suitible to use when I do a 4agze swap.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Wed, 18 May 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first you put a V8 in the car

then you have a nice exhaust fitted

outcome: awesome note.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: The key to a good exhaust note... Wed, 18 May 2005 13:24 Go to previous message
N/A if you want to keep it legal you really need a resonator.

With a turbo you can getaway sans-resonator.

I have a 3inch mandrel bent system with a single cannon on my 4agte, and it's quieter than the GZE was with a 2.5 inch system, conventional muffler AND resonator. Albeit a lower tone.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KYB inserts into st185
Next Topic:sump oil level light (help ID this item)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 12:13:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04810094833374 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.