Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
72 TA22
Regular

June 2002
Fitting ST205 front brakes on a ST185 Wed, 18 May 2005 00:00 Go to next message
Hi,

Has anyone fitted the full size ST205 front rotors onto an ST185?

I need some guidance as how to mount the calipers and rotors.

Thanks

Anthony
  Send a private message to this user    
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: Fitting ST205 front brakes on a ST185 Wed, 18 May 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wagonist has done this. Do a search.

My car has a similar setup, but the discs have been machined down to 292mm (from original 315mm I think) due to wheel size.

Mine has spacers behind and infront of the disc (wheel spacers) and also has newly made calipermounts using 9mm (ish) thick steel plate.

M
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Fitting ST205 front brakes on a ST185 Thu, 19 May 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Follow the brake upgrade link in my signature.

The disc machining wasn't due to the rim size (I've got 17's) but due to the position of the mounting points on the steering knuckle (closer to axle than on ST205)

You will have to do things a little differently as my front suspension is based on the ST20x model Celicas, which is slightly different to the ST18x models.

Like DynoMatt said, you'll probably need spacers behind the disc to get them to sit futher out to line up with the calipers, whereas I had to move my calipers out to line up with the discs.

I don't know if the ST20x front struts & steering knuckles (fwd models) fit the ST18x.
Might be better off changing these over (you'll also have the original stuff to refit if you want to sell the car. A problem I'm having at the moment)
72 TA22
Regular

June 2002
Re: Fitting ST205 front brakes on a ST185 Thu, 19 May 2005 06:52 Go to previous message
Thanks Dynomatt and Wagonist,

Wagonist, I have read through your conversion, seems simple enough, however I really need to keep the 315mm disc.

The reason is because I will be converting my engine to an ST205 and because because the power increase is more than 10% I will need a VASS certicficate. If I am able to retain the complete ST205 setup, there will be enough engineering justification to say that the brakes and the car remain ADR compliant.

I was thinking I could get 2 piece rotors manufactured with a reduced offset to get the disc further outboard and use an adapter bracket to mount the caliper.

Curious to know if anyone has done similar.

Dynomatt, is there any chance I could get some images of your setup? In particular the caliper mounting brackets.

Thanks

Anthony
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Speed / Rev Limiter
Next Topic:How much oil goes into a W55
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 23:39:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058019161224365 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.