Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1G Camshaft Timing ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
icon5.gif  1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 04:39 Go to next message
Apologies in advance, for the noob question, and thanks for taking the time to educate me.....

Is checking/setting the camshaft timing on a 1G (GZE in this case) a straightforward job for a pretend mechanic with a box of odd spanners ?

Or do I need a dial indictor, torque wrench, torque settings, big green book and any more than half a clue as to what to do ?

Could I take my 1G to a competent mechanic who may not have seen this engine before so that he can check and set the cam timing ?
Will he need some Toyota specific data to do this ?

I think there is a chance that the exhaust camshaft timing is way out on my car, but checking this is probably beyond the limit of my mechanical ability.....

What should I expect to pay cost/hours/time (any of these) if I took the care to the local mech ?

Thanks,
Mitch.
Note: "mech" is just one "c" more than "meh" .... Rolling Eyes
  Send a private message to this user    
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pure curiosity here, but what makes you think your exhaust camshaft timing is way out?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have almost no power through-out the rev range, and after fixing the rich running by getting the injectors cleaned, I have run out of ideas for things to check.

I'm wildly guessing that the timing belt has jumped a tooth or 20 and the exhaust camshaft is opening those valves too early....so the mixture is escaping down the pipe before it produces any power.

Statics timing is 12 degrees BTDC, no CEL, new plugs, new 02 sensor, fuel pressure right on specification, all plugs firing, all injectors firing.....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take the cover off the cam gears, wind it around to TDC and check that the tooth on the cam gear points directly to the line on the metal cover behind it.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Frank,

The voice of reason in my tormented mind - and the guy who wants a spin in my machine when I finally get it running OK Razz

I take it there is a tooth on each cam gear and a corresponding line behind it for both camshafts ?

And that the exhaust camshaft is also checked at TDC for piston number one, the same time as the inlet camshaft is checked ?

So all I need is a dial indicator down spark plug hole number one or a calibrated eyeball on the handle of my screwdriver ?
Very Happy

Thanks mate,
Mitch.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just line the mark on the crank pulley up with the zero degree mark on the timing cover. There is a line behind each of the cam gears, and when everything is lined up, the teeth on the gears should line up spot on to the marks. Piece of cake to do.

There is like 5 "spokes" on each of the cam gears (I think it's 5), and one of them on each gear will have a mark on them. There is a tooth on the gear which is dead centre of the spoke. Just get down level and make sure they line up with the marks behind them.

Now hurry up and get that car running right Razz I know this one is easy, because I did it the other night. Very Happy
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you are the man for the job ? Do you mind giving me a hand, if I bring the car to you ? I will bring beer but no chics as CLG has first dibs on them.....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could do it for you, but seriously, it's that easy to check that you would take longer to drive over for me to look at it than it would take to check Razz All you need to do is take off that cover, set the crank pulley mark to 0 degrees on the timing cover and make sure they line up Razz 20 mins tops Smile
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Somehow I thought it was harder than just that, anyway, thanks for the heads up and I know what I will be doing in the garage tonight......drinking beer alone of course ! Razz
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does exhaust camshaft timing being off lead to some particularly odd noises coming from the engine?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unlikely, but if your exhaust valves are open during the compression stroke, it'd make your car run shit as a heap of the air would be shoved straight out the cylinder.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah. gotcha.

Cheers
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe I should take another 1G under my wing?
Nurse it back to health and all.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 May 2005 06:32]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bahahaha. Get him to bring it on Friday Razz
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is CrUZsida the 'G' spot Doctor ???? I would like to see that !!! Razz

What's on Friday, or is it a private(s) party ???? Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most likely moving my car back to the workshop *weather permitting*.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know if the 1ggze is the same but heres a couple of pics of lineing up the cams on a gen3 1ggte

http://insertdomainnamehere.com/misc/RA28/timing/timing.jpg

http://insertdomainnamehere.com/misc/RA28/timing/timing3.jpg

i had no idea what to do till i took the cam covers off and followed a bit of advice

also when you set the cams piston 1 should be at TDC, i just put a screwdriver down the cylinder and turned the crank till i saw the screwdriver reach its highest point. line up the gears with the marks and put it back together.

Wink
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or alternatively just set the Crank to 0 Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
see there you go more advice Surprised

p.s hard to set crank to 0 when it was in the ra28 front end and about 5mm of room from crank to radiator Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 18 May 2005 09:44]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks EvilJack, a picture (or two) tells a thousand words. I will be into the garage tonight checking this all out.
Cheers,
Mitch.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 17:42

Or alternatively just set the Crank to 0 Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Hey, I've now done it both ways, and they both worked Razz
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I knew I would find the 'meh' in 'mechanic' tonight. Embarassed Timing belt cover off and the 'centre-punched' holes in the cam gears found, two per gear wheel, but not a large enough socket to turn the crank pulley to zero..... Crying or Very Sad

So, borrow some tools tomorrow and try again......thanks all for your advice......
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
24mm from memory
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Wed, 18 May 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Thu, 19 May 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WILL THIS BE THE SAME FOR THE 1G-GTE ENGINE
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Thu, 19 May 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YES BUT THERE IS NO NEED TO SHOUT
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Thu, 19 May 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOLLLLL
soz mate need the damn caps on for work and most of the time i forget to take em off and yeah im one of those fools who look in the keyboard and type

so only realise the caps are on after all the shits been typed Sad Sad Sad

cheers
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Thu, 19 May 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
above the pics i quote myself

Quote:

i dont know if the 1ggze is the same but heres a couple of pics of lineing up the cams on a gen3 1ggte

Cool
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Thu, 19 May 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
22mm socket does the trick.....

And wouldn't you know it, the camshaft timing is 100% spot-on....not even close to being out.

But thanks to everyone for the lesson in how to do it, I learned something new today and that is always good.

Cheers,
Mitch.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Thu, 19 May 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, 2mm out.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Thu, 19 May 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, that's still 91.7% correct, so you pass.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Thu, 19 May 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yay, gold star for me.

http://jira.atlassian.com/secure/attachment/12152/Gold_Star.gif
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Thu, 19 May 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well CrUZsida did pretty well, i was gona say 32mm but thought not cause it sounded wrong and i forgot correct size Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Thu, 19 May 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 17:24

And wouldn't you know it, the camshaft timing is 100% spot-on....not even close to being out.

This is nice to know Smile Was relieved when I found out too.

ra23celica wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 17:24

But thanks to everyone for the lesson in how to do it, I learned something new today and that is always good.

New skills are good, this is why I got you to do it yourself Smile

Whats next to check?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Thu, 19 May 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are very cunning that way, getting me to do it myself ! Well done Razz

I like CrUZsida's gold star....it is very shiny......but it has a black tip on the top, like its been shoved up some fairy's arse.....

And I follow what EvilJack says, I hate to try and make an educated guess on this forum to help some other poor soul, cos' there is always some smartarse sitting back waiting for you to eff-up and shoot you down in flames.....

What now to check ??? - well refer the other thread on the VSV wiring - then maybe the VSV operation itself.....and then after that I am stuffed......

Any GZE mechanics in Perth ???? I think CrUZsida could qualify....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Thu, 19 May 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are you doing tomorrow night? I WAS going to be moving my car, but I can't see Mother Nature being very helpful in that regard. I was thinking I might waterproof my car (you know, windows and stuff Laughing )
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Camshaft Timing ? Thu, 19 May 2005 23:38 Go to previous message
Thanks for the offer mate, I think I will have to decline. Both my kids are sick with the flu and the only Doctors appointment I can get is today after school, so I will have to catch up with you guys at another time, hopefully with the car fixed by then.....
Cheers,
Mitch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Thermofans
Next Topic:ae82 and ae92 suspension question..please help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:18:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060389041900635 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.