Toymods » Tech & Conversions » JZA70 Auto - Manual Conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
poombah
Regular

August 2002

icon9.gif  JZA70 Auto - Manual Conversion Fri, 27 December 2002 06:59 Go to next message
Okay heres the deal Shocked

Ive been offered a W58 Gearbox (5 Speed from a NA JZA80) with clutch pedal, cylinder, everything that i need for $1500. Very Happy

Has anyone put a W58 into a 1JZ? The Manual JZA70's used Getrag 154's but they are like hens teeth second hand with the 1JZ bellhousing. Its from a 2JZ and from the picture in my engine handbook the back of the engine looks the same from memory so it should bolt on... in theory.

Will the W58 fit in the transmission tunnel? Confused

Tail Shaft? an idea for getting one made.. i rang a few people but they all laughed at me on the phone or couldnt give me an answer. Ive been told to speak to Veem Engineering (sp?) in WA but havent called them yet.

ECU...... Can I run a manual transmission with an Automatic based ECU? Someone said ill just have a check engine light on all the time...? Confused

Any other useful hints and tips anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated..

ill be considering doing the work myself, but if advised strongly enough not to i might get it done professioanlly... but as they say if you want it done properly you have to do it yourself..

If anyone has done this, i would greatly appreciate chatting to ya via email or something... poombah_@hotmail.com

I sick of sluggish performance from the auto box, and the huge drivetrain loss, people with same mods as me but with manual are pulling around 20-40hp more at the wheels!! Sad

Thanks Laughing
  Send a private message to this user    
jambo
Newcomer

December 2002
Re: JZA70 Auto - Manual Conversion Fri, 27 December 2002 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A mate of mine has an MA70 7MGTE which he converted from auto to manual and is now fitting a 1JZGTE. I'm sure he will be able to give you a few pointers, he's been to hell and back with that gearbox. Email him nickc@winshop.com.au or ask on his forums www.performanceforums.com under the tech section and watch the Supra nazis swarm to your post.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA70 Auto - Manual Conversion Sat, 28 December 2002 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the w58 will fit nicely.
I'm running a manual gearbox with auto ecu at the moment, and it's a BITCH. in a few weeks (fingers crossed) I'll have a spare 1jz manual ecu lying around, if you're looking for one. I just need it to get me past emissions
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: JZA70 Auto - Manual Conversion Sat, 28 December 2002 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, ive been told on another forum that i need to get a different pedal as the JZA80 one will not fit..

my main concerns seem to be addressed, ive been told getting the tailshaft modded is no worries, so yeah looks like a goer.

I cant wait hey. I just want to track down photos of cars that have been manually converted to see where they mount things and how they run this and that.

The thing i just realised is... speedo? whats the deal there?

- Russ
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA70 Auto - Manual Conversion Sat, 28 December 2002 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what's the problem there?
auto box has a speed sensor i know, but mine is wired up to the (engine?) speed sensor
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: JZA70 Auto - Manual Conversion Sat, 28 December 2002 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dunno hey, mine has speedo cable coming out of the box... can that just be disconnected?.. is there a second speed sensor on the engine?

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA70 Auto - Manual Conversion Sat, 28 December 2002 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I assume so.
dont take that as gospel tho, as I'm not in the mood to go searching around in my engine bay for the connecctions.
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: JZA70 Auto - Manual Conversion Sun, 29 December 2002 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cnat belive i said that hey, engine sensor... wtf... how on earth would that work ? Razz

Bah ill work it out, had a bit of a "oh wheres the oil gone" scare last nite... then realised last service i forgot to put the extra half litre in to compensate for oil change..

*doh*

Not a good thing crawling home at 5am half asleep with a sobering headache to notice the low oil light on :\

trev64
Regular

July 2002
icon14.gif  Re: JZA70 Auto - Manual Conversion Sun, 29 December 2002 08:02 Go to previous message
The speed sensor for the ECU is located behind the speedo in the dash.
The cable comes from the extension housing of the gearbox to the speedo which in turn drives the speed sensor.
Cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Always double check
Next Topic:Malpassi Regulator, what rate?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 02:03:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042219161987305 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.