Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
icon5.gif  Ta22 Brake problems Mon, 09 May 2005 20:31 Go to next message
Hi

I couldnt get a hold of a ta22 master brake cylinder rep kit, so i bought a master cylinder from a 1989 corolla ae92 1600.

both cylinders has the same bore 13/16" and they are aprox the same length.

i have bleeded the brakes over and over, rear brakes works fine, but i cant get the front brakes to work proberly. even with the engine off i can floor the pedal, i have to force it, but i can still floor it, with the engine running i can, of course, floor it easier.

i also took off the calipers and checked for leeks, and made sure everythings moving like its supposed too. the rest of the system is checked for leeks too, but its not leaking anywhere.

the only time i got pedal was when i took the calipers off the discs, and put a piece of iron in it, and pumped until the pisten met the iron, then the pedal felt fine, so it could seem like the piston never meets the brakepad, but i checked it, and it does.

only thing i found thats not 100% fine, is that one brake pad had loosen from the backside, it came lose from the metalplate or whatever to say, but i put it back on just to try the brakes, but its still not working good.

what the heck is wrong? im starting to think the master brake sylinder is not working on my car for some reason, but on the other hand thats almost impossible since its almost identic to my old one..

anyone have any good ideas?

thanks for any answers Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Ta22 Brake problems Tue, 10 May 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I am right you owe me $50 OK ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I reckon that the new master cylinder you have requires a longer rod (the one pushed by the brake pedal) in order for the 'pistons' inside the MC to travel through their complete length.

In other words, the rod is not long enough to push the piston to the end of the bore inside the MC, so you are not getting enough pressure, particularly to the front calipers, and it will also mean that you will never get all the air out of the front brake lines.

Let me know how you go !

Cheers,
Mitch.
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Ta22 Brake problems Tue, 10 May 2005 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

thanks for your answer

Yes, i have been thinking about that too, but i have taking a lot of rods out from carinas and corollas, they all have the same length rod, so i kinda put the rod issue aside for now, cuz i dont wanna take the cynlinder back out yet.

lets say its the rod length thats the problem, i can adjust the length on the pedal, at least a little, and make the rod push further in, so i can try that.

Then i was wondering, if i do this, what will happen with the rear brakes? they are working fine now, if i extend the rod further, even if i get the front brakes to work by doing this, will the rear brakes lock before the front brakes?

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Ta22 Brake problems Tue, 10 May 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the same exact same problem as you described in your first post, and I know what to took to fix it.

I would not hang my hat on the rod length being the same in all model Corolla's and Celica's, I know for a fact with my RA23 its not. Rod length is influenced by pedal box design and location, and thickness of firewall and vaccum booster.

Rod length with have no effect on brake bias, that has to do with your proportioning valve and the additional fluid new and bigger front calipers will take, if fitted.

If you are serious in fixing this then you must work out exactly what has changed with this newer Corolla M/C you have fitted.

Take it out, and using a digital vernier, measure the full travel of the piston inside the new M/C and do the same with your old TA22 M/C. If they are different there is your problem.

If they are exactly the same, pull the new M/C apart and check for blown/leaking internal rubber seals/cups.

I also understand that PBR make brand new replacement M/C's for TA22's for about $110.00, but it was a while ago when I heard this.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Ta22 Brake problems Wed, 11 May 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 09:07

I had the same exact same problem as you described in your first post, and I know what to took to fix it.

I would not hang my hat on the rod length being the same in all model Corolla's and Celica's, I know for a fact with my RA23 its not. Rod length is influenced by pedal box design and location, and thickness of firewall and vaccum booster.

Rod length with have no effect on brake bias, that has to do with your proportioning valve and the additional fluid new and bigger front calipers will take, if fitted.

If you are serious in fixing this then you must work out exactly what has changed with this newer Corolla M/C you have fitted.

Take it out, and using a digital vernier, measure the full travel of the piston inside the new M/C and do the same with your old TA22 M/C. If they are different there is your problem.

If they are exactly the same, pull the new M/C apart and check for blown/leaking internal rubber seals/cups.

I also understand that PBR make brand new replacement M/C's for TA22's for about $110.00, but it was a while ago when I heard this.

Woo Hoo, Saved me typing it all again Wink

Rod.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Ta22 Brake problems Wed, 11 May 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pleasure Rod !

I just noticed that there is a lot of "rod length" in my posting above and you would be best qualified to comment on this natural occurence....so mate, tell me - how is your 'rod length' hanging at the moment ???!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Ta22 Brake problems Wed, 18 May 2005 21:50 Go to previous message
Hi again

Now i finally had time to put on the new discs and pads on my celica.

the brakes are fine now Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

the old discs looked fine, but they were actually 3mm thinner than the new ones, so i guess that was what caused the pedal to hit the floor.

But.. now my corona MKII has some of the same syndromes.

the rear brakes locks up way too early.. long time before the front brakes locks, the discs and pads are fine on this car, and the front brakes locks fine too, but the rear brakes still locks before front Mad

any good ideas what to do here? this car has self adjusting brake shoes, can they have adjusted themself too much? the wheel movies around like its supposed too tho.. so the brakes doesnt hang on...

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:> car stereo rewire....
Next Topic:3S head conversion of bucket and shims
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 09:55:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048189163208008 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.