Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Boost controllers...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Boost controllers... Fri, 13 May 2005 05:53 Go to next message
I was just wondering which boost controllers are commonly used with turbo charged toyota vehicles.
please tell me your experiences, i'd especially love to hear what the 3sgte guys have been using.
Can you justify spending $500+ on a boost controller? Is it worth it? Or do you just make do with a cheaper one?
  Send a private message to this user    
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Fri, 13 May 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id only use a electronic one which will set u back the 500 bucks.. but they tend not to spike u can control boost curves and lots of other stuff.. the last thing u want is it to keep spiking
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Boost controllers... Fri, 13 May 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made my own boost controller setup. In cabin switch adjusts between high and low boost.

High boost is gated and set at 20psi, low boost is not gated and is set at 13psi. My boost holds rock solid at both settings and does not spike or drop across the whole rev range.

It works perfectly, is very stealth in the engine bay and cost very little to make.

Performs better than nearly anything I have seen off the shelf. Because basically I set mine up to perform exactly how I wanted it to work Very Happy
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Fri, 13 May 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well share the parts list Razz and a "how to"
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Fri, 13 May 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use a turbosmart dual stage manual boost controller. its "OK", i got it cheap, but i would prefer a electronic type. eg. Apexi avcr,greddy profec..

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Fri, 13 May 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
electronic ones are supposed to help the turbo make full boost quicker as it can adjust the bleed as the revs rise to keep the wastegate closed for aslong as possible import bitz have greddy ones for sale for 450 buks or was that 495 anyhow they are under 500 buks the apex-i ones are arround the 800-1000 mark and so are the blitz ones

[Updated on: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:26]

monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Boost controllers... Fri, 13 May 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The advantage of the more expensive boost controllers, is that they are gated.

ie. They will block all pressure to the wastegate (or attempt to) for as long as possible till you reach your set boost level. This brings on full boost faster than a bleed valve or non-gated system, which tend to creep. Wastegate creep is air bleeding through to your wastegate actuator before maximum boost is reached, this causes the wastegate to open slightly BEFORE fullboost. Making it come on slower than with a gated system.

I hope I got that right.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Fri, 13 May 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup. What monkeyMajik said. My Apexi AVC-R is costing me $715ish delivered through Slidewize Imports. It's the duck's guts - can adjust for different gears, has two maps you can set plus scramble mode. Also acts as an ace boost gauge and a data logger (only for short intervals though).

It's total overkill, but then I've got a Ceramic-wheel turbo which will probably disintegrate somewhere around 13.5->14psi. I figure I can set the AVC-R up and monitor boost to make sure I don't get any boost spikes ever. Expensive for a boost controller, cheap if it avoids turbo destruction, or even an engine rebuild if the plastic impeller wheel were to let-go on an overboost spike.

Bang-for-bucks, I'd grab a turbosmart 2-level manual controller. It's a gated bleeder valve with remote boost-switching (hi or low from a toggle switch). $200->400 depending on who you know.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Fri, 13 May 2005 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monkeymajik wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 23:53

The advantage of the more expensive boost controllers, is that they are gated.

ie. They will block all pressure to the wastegate (or attempt to) for as long as possible till you reach your set boost level. This brings on full boost faster than a bleed valve or non-gated system, which tend to creep. Wastegate creep is air bleeding through to your wastegate actuator before maximum boost is reached, this causes the wastegate to open slightly BEFORE fullboost. Making it come on slower than with a gated system.

I hope I got that right.

yeah like i said
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Sat, 14 May 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 3sgte has a turbosmart bleed valve hooked up. It boosts to 13psi without a problem. I don't get too much spiking, but sometimes it spikes maybe 1psi then falls back down. I run about 13 psi on my ceramic turbine turbo.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Boost controllers... Sat, 14 May 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my g/f's brother is an electronic freak and hes making me a controller that only uses a solenoid and a circuit that opens and closes the solenoid at different rates to regulate boost. if that doesnt work which it prob wont im just gonna use the solenoid to swich between two boost controlers to have duel stage rather than variable boost. boost controllers im using are tightass gardening valves or something, work a treat tho.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Boost controllers... Sat, 14 May 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just curious, but with an electronic boost controller, is it possible to make boost come on earlier?

The breathlessness of the 1G-GTE down low is making me curious about this Smile

Cheers
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Sat, 14 May 2005 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you paid over 500 for an avcr you got ripped. Shop around , ebay is your friend. I got mine for $550 brand new delivered, and that was a while ago.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Sun, 15 May 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 00:06

Just curious, but with an electronic boost controller, is it possible to make boost come on earlier?

Cheers

read the posts above
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Boost controllers... Sun, 15 May 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 10:31

Merudo wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 00:06

Cheers

read the posts above

what about them?

They talk about the differences between a gated and non gated system.

I just mean in comparison to a stock setup, to a setup with an EBC.
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Sun, 15 May 2005 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A boost controller MAY assist with full boost being achieved earlier. You simply tell the boost controller solenoid to vent ALL the pressure from the compressor housing away from the waste gate actuator. This causes the waste gate to stay shut. Unit your boost controller starts letting some of the pressure through to the actuator your turbo will be making as much boost as possible.
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Tue, 17 May 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my car I have a turbosmart dual stage boost controller setup and I experimented by removing the blockage to the stock 3SGTE boost controller (T-VSV) to see why its so necessary.

Basically now there are 2 bleed valves hooked up on one system I have no boost control in 3rd gear or above.

When im in 3rd gear and I punch it (carefully watching the gauge so as not to overboost) It spools up a faster, getting to boost pressure noticably quicker than when I just have the turbosmart hooked up. Im not too sure about the way this BC is designed, but im assuming its not gated which would explain the 'lag' for the want of a better word.

IMO EBC is the way to go...as i have an S-AFC already I would lean towards the apexi, but also because it has a lot of features i like i.e. injector duty % and so on.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 May 2005 09:18]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Boost controllers... Tue, 17 May 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got an AVO elec. boost control - its about the ojnly good mod they did to my car - from the previous owner ..

holds boost steeadily anywhere i like between 5psi and 12 ATM ..

750 dollah worth of little black box - glad it was on the car before i purchased it
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: Boost controllers... Tue, 17 May 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seems like an apexi controller off ebay is the way to go.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Wed, 18 May 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackGT4 wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 21:02

seems like an apexi controller off ebay is the way to go.

http://www.onautos.com.au - call Trevor
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: Boost controllers... Wed, 18 May 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the avc-r is listed as $820 on that website Sad
whereas ebay is alot cheaper, for the same product.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Boost controllers... Wed, 18 May 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am using a Hiperboost controller. It also has the ability to bring boost on quicker. Can't give any reviews yet as car isn't going.

Had it connected for 10mins or so before my engine blew and it was definitely bringing boost on quicker. It was a totally different feel. It felt like it wanted to drop into 2nd at 90kms and I have a 4.6:1 diff!
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Thu, 19 May 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run an eBoost here... Not bad for what it is. Took a little nutting out to get it working just right but i have no complaints with it.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Boost controllers... Thu, 19 May 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 21:07

Had it connected for 10mins or so before my engine blew

Before your engine blew?

This wasn't because of the boost controller was it? Laughing
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Boost controllers... Thu, 19 May 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$2,000 for a decent programmable ECU (e.g. Autronic) + $200-250 for a decent solenoid... only way to go.

Better than paying $700 for a controller, $500-800 for an AFC, more for ignition control etc. etc.

If you haven't modified your car enough to require a new ECU just use a needle valve or celicamads box o valves until you do require an ECU.

The Jaycar boost control kit would be a good option too.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Thu, 19 May 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackGT4 wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 20:14

but the avc-r is listed as $820 on that website Sad
whereas ebay is alot cheaper, for the same product.

CALL the dude. Trust me . . . .
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: Boost controllers... Thu, 19 May 2005 14:38 Go to previous message
st184 sillycar wrote on Sat, 14 May 2005 00:29

Yup. What monkeyMajik said. My Apexi AVC-R is costing me $715ish delivered through Slidewize Imports.

I would feel ripped off if I had payed this for my brand new
AVC-R.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:A few suspension questions.
Next Topic:WIndow Tint 35%, 25% or 15%
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:32:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067849159240723 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.