Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TA22 fuel cap fuel stains and tank breathing

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
silly
Occasional Poster

May 2004
TA22 fuel cap fuel stains and tank breathing Thu, 19 May 2005 04:53 Go to next message
I get feul coming out of my TA22 celica filler cap and it runs down my left rear quarter panel. i tried tightening the screws of the filler neck mount flange and even stuffing a rag down the filler neck but to no avail. I have a 4age and efi setup but still the fuel plumbing is similar to standard. The tank vent line still goes to the carbon cannister and i am getting ported vacuum at light throttle. The purge bundy isnt blocked and everything seems okay. My surge tank overflow still returns via tha carby return and i doubt it blows back up the filler neck. the filler cap is designed only to let air in right?
please help!
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 fuel cap fuel stains and tank breathing Thu, 19 May 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a factory feature of the TA22's. Get used to it or change the filler Confused
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: TA22 fuel cap fuel stains and tank breathing Thu, 19 May 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep i get that problem too... just gotta live with it i guess.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 fuel cap fuel stains and tank breathing Thu, 19 May 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Change the gasket on the cap!!!!, these things are 25 to 30 years old now, and are no longer flexible, therefore, they will never seal.

cheers Chuck.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 fuel cap fuel stains and tank breathing Thu, 19 May 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, common problem from the factory, and no you don't have to live with it. The best fix is to buy the genuine lockable filler cap (new keys supplied) from Toyota, but this costs about $50.

The problem is that with our wonderful fuel and all its *yummy* additives splashing up against the inside of the cap, the seals inside the cap perish over time. The answer is a new cap, not a second hand or aftermarket one from the wreckers....

I had this problem for 6 years with my TA22, frustrated the hell out of me and I tried everything I could think of to fix it, believe me, it does not stop until you buy a new Toyota cap, and surprisingly, Toyota still stock this, as its a standard cap from all Corolla's, Corona's and Celica's made in the 70's.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: TA22 fuel cap fuel stains and tank breathing Fri, 20 May 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota told me they no longer have the lockable ones. They got me in a non-lockable one which i laughed at. it was a joke and no one in their right mind would put it on. it looked like it was from another car which has a door for the fuel filler.
so i just got the seal. it was easy to replace.
I also find that there's a thin metal plate behind the seal that i bend in sometimes i fill up to make a better seal. other than that just remember to regularly polish the paint so that the fuel slides off.
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: TA22 fuel cap fuel stains and tank breathing Fri, 20 May 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The general consensus with this seems to be only to half-fill the tank at a time. That said, I never had the problem with my celica, on the few times I filled it right up (normally I'd just put in $20 at a time, in fear that petrol would get on my acrylic paint work).

Other than that, the gasket is the best bet...
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 fuel cap fuel stains and tank breathing Fri, 20 May 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a brand new cap with keys to suit my TA23 (but will suit other early model celicas) from super cheap auto, only around $20, fixed my problems.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mitch.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 fuel cap fuel stains and tank breathing Fri, 20 May 2005 22:06 Go to previous message
do like me and covert to LPG?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SFE to 3SGTE
Next Topic:Two piece wheels, help me
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:35:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044181346893311 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.