Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ashsupra
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Speed / Rev Limiter Wed, 18 May 2005 22:54 Go to next message
What are the symptoms / feelings when you hit the rev limiter or speed limiter ?
I am still having a misfire problem and trying to narrow down my search (think it feels like it hits a rev limiter).
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Wed, 18 May 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on what car, whether its running a stock computer or aftermarket ecu etc etc. Aftermarket ones are more likely to go da da da and bouce of the limiter whereas as some factory ones the revs will pretty much just sit the i know our camry does, but it slows progress dramatically.
ashsupra
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Wed, 18 May 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is a JZA70 Supra with a JZZ30 1JZGTE motor & standard computer.
My misfire goes - da da da da and the revs bounce from 3500 -> 3000 (feels aweful).

Any ideas' ?
It only misfires once the car is warm (after approx. 8 mins) and only does it when I sit at or above around 110km/hr.
I can accellerate / rev past that sometimes though.....
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Wed, 18 May 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuel cut, how much boost are you running, i personally don't know a lot, but others may use this info to help you
ashsupra
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Wed, 18 May 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Std boost, but with a pod & 3" = 10psi
It doesn't do it when boosting though, just when cruising.

setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does the 1J run coils or a dizzy?
my dizzy on the 3T was dirty and did this same thing.
at about 4k RPM bambambam feels REALLY bad.
cleaned up dizzy and made it alot better.

just check ign system maybe?
ashsupra
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1JZGTE has individual coil packs.
Does anyone know how/what to check on the ignition system ?
It only does it once the engine oil & water is warm though, if it were ignition wouldn't it do it all the time ?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
setsuna wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 10:50

Mate 1JZ-GTE's are technological things Smile They run coil on plug (a coil for each spark plug). None of this dizzy shit Razz

Cheers
Wilbo
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 09:32

setsuna wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 10:50

Mate 1JZ-GTE's are technological things Smile They run coil on plug (a coil for each spark plug). None of this dizzy shit Razz

Cheers
Wilbo

just checking Sad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
perhaps check the heat range of your plugs, and what sort of condition they're in? make sure there's no cracking on the bit of plastic/rubber wehre your coil pack joins the spark plug - this can cause arcing (but usually at idle as well).
Check your timing - when my timing belt slipped a notch, it was fine slowly accelerating, but at cruise or more than about 4000rpm it just got boned.
ashsupra
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draven, can I slight crack tear in the soft rubber boot at the base of the coilpack where it joins the spark plug cause the misfire (I would have thought it would do it at idle too), because I think I did see a slight tear in one of them.

What is the easiest way to check the timing ?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pull the timing belt cover off. Then get a 22mm spanner and turn the crankshaft pulley bolt until the white line is inline with the 0deg mark on the plastic. Now look at your cam pulleys. There is a mark on each of them and they should be exactly inline with the mark behind them on the metal bit.

I personally don't think that that is the problem but certainly no harm in checking. You can use some stuff to try and repair the coil pack but I can't remember what it is.

It is definitely not speed cut or the rev limiter and 3500rpm and 110kms though.
ashsupra
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris, have you got any suggestions on what it could be then ?
I'm getting very frustrated with this and would appreciate any help / advise.
Thanks
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So does it do it every time you go above 3500rpm? Or is it only when cruising at that level? Does it do it in other gears? Are you using stock ecu?

You could pull the spark plugs out, disconnect the efi fuse and crank it over and observe how each one is sparking.

Otherwise, maybe swap igniters with someone else and see if that is the problem.

Also, swapping coil packs may be beneficial for testing if possible.

Other than that, I am clean out of ideas.
ashsupra
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, it has only done it so far (sometimes) when I go over 3500rpm (once the car is warm).
I think it has only been happening when I cruise at that speed, if I am accellerating I can go past there without a problem.
Yep, is has the standard computer (standard for the motor, not the car = JZZ30 1JZGTE Soarer).
I don't think that testing the spark plugs will do anything as it is an intermittant fault and only does it at rpm & speed.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you tried to get any codes from ecu?
ashsupra
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have tried but haven't had any luck so far.
The ecu hasn't been very co-operative so I'm not getting anything out of it - not even getting the signal/light when you turn the ignition key on.

I checked the TPS and it isn't giving the closed signal to the ecu, so I have a new one to go on today/tomorrow. Hopefully that will enable the ecu to give me some outputs (but I'm not very hopeful).

Also, it could have something to do with the "Neutral" signal that the ecu is supposed to receive - my car has a Ford auto transmission not the Toyota standard one, so that probably isn't going to help.

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well as I said I don't think I have any other ideas.

I wouldn't think that the nuetral switch thing would do something like that but I could be wrong.

What ford auto is it? where did you get the bellhousing? I assume it is a non computer controlled one.
ashsupra
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't think the neutral switch would have anything to do with the misfire, but it could be inhibiting the ecu to output the error codes.

It's a Ford C4 box, and the conversion was all done by the previous owner. As far as auto's go it's pretty good, but I'd much rather a manual.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Speed / Rev Limiter Thu, 19 May 2005 07:26 Go to previous message
Aaah, gotcha.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:vacuum diagrams for 4agze (cant find them any where)
Next Topic:Fitting ST205 front brakes on a ST185
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:44:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050559043884277 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.