Toymods » General Car Talk » attn: resident computer nerds

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
icon5.gif  attn: resident computer nerds Fri, 27 December 2002 09:29 Go to next message
Righto tech-heads!

I really need your help.

I just want to know if these bits are all compatible:

AMD Gigabyte 7VAXP AGP8X DDR400+ Motherboard 228 bucks
DDR 512M PC2700 DDR RAM Kingmax 270 bucks
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Processor 408 bucks
ASUS 128M AGP-V8460 GeForce4 TI 4600 479 bucks
Lian Li PC5 USB Silver case 180 bucks
AMD CPU Cooler (AMD aproved) 20 bucks (do I even need this?)
40gig seagate hdd (got it already)
SBLive Platinum (got it already)

Also, could anyone suggest better options for around the same budget? (especially if they don't go together)

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

btw, i got the prices off www.umart.com.au

Send a private message to this user    
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Fri, 27 December 2002 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes them parts sound like they will all go together.

with a nick name like yours, sounds like we should be asking u the questions... ehhe. j/k Very Happy

YES YOU WILL need a CPU cooler!!!

download this price list and have another look at the prices....i'll have a look now myself too for ya. bored.

http://www.gamedude.com.au/GD_Prices.zip
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Fri, 27 December 2002 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you need/want a floppy drive??? cdrom drive? burner? dvd rom?
network card?

also manke sure that the cpu cooler is able to cool that cpu. the XP2400. it might be amd approved, but not able to cool that cpu.....understand?
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Fri, 27 December 2002 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends if you buy the cpu boxed or oem.

oem is the cpu alone.
boxed has everything with manuals, heatsink and ofcourse the box.

i also get wholesale from umart so if you want it a little cheaper let me know.
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Fri, 27 December 2002 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
imm lookin thru the gamedude prices now, but those wholesale prices sound good

so eviljack, did i miss anything eviljack??

where are you on mirc putz?
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Fri, 27 December 2002 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea your a nerd Smile

i been up the coast with misses to all her family crap for christmas, the being shouted free beer is what got me motivated Razz

next year its her turn to suffer Laughing

i droped in mirc before but i think you were busy haven a bat.
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: attn: resident computer nerds Fri, 27 December 2002 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks very much fellas,

Steve, I've got all the other bits- thanks for your concern:)

Any more suggestions are more than welcome!

megan
Regular

December 2002
Re: attn: resident computer nerds Fri, 27 December 2002 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you intending to run on it..?

Megan
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Fri, 27 December 2002 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I asked my mate what he reckons you should do and he said:

"maybe a case fan, u get a big result from just even having 1, but 1 front one rear would be good

ummmmm

anything else not really if he has allready got dvd cd-rom floppy. just make sure u tell him to get the latest bios and drivers for all his compnents thast about it i think"
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: attn: resident computer nerds Fri, 27 December 2002 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I remember, PC2100 might be faster than PC2700 on that motherboard...

Read a few reviews on the internet, but I'm pretty sure you're better off with the DDR333 RAM...

Also, it's prolly more worth your while to get a slower CPU and use that money to buy a fast HDD. Many people neglect IO when they're building systems and end up with really fast CPU and a huge IO bottleneck...
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Fri, 27 December 2002 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know im going to get crap kicked here but... listen to a man of experience with more than just one!

spend the extra and buy Pentium, i have my own business and spend alot of other peoples money buying computer parts, AMD dont last i am forever chasing warranty with them, and pentium i have had no troubles so far!

i have bought alot more Amd components than Pentium however

Amd run alot hotter too so if your computer is in a room that gets relatively hot i would also consider pentium

any questions on any pc gear or prices feel free to contact me
cheers
Craig
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Fri, 27 December 2002 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilJack wrote on Fri, 27 December 2002 21:13

yea

i droped in mirc while i was having a bat.

we dont wanna know what ya were doing at ya misses grandmas house!

your as bad as insane SX Twisted Evil

[Updated on: Fri, 27 December 2002 13:59]

Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Fri, 27 December 2002 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
less than a year ago I would have said that sounds like a good system... but now I'd have to agree with Oz_Craig and recommend an Intel system instead.

For different reasons though.

I currently run an XP1800+ and have run AMD's for the last 3 years or so and have had no reliablity problems at all. In the past there were problems with AMD M/B's but these seem to have been cleared up since AMD are now more mainstream.

The main reasons I would take an Intel system now is for the $ Vs Performance factor. I don't believe the AMD can match it anymore, especially since they introduced this PR rating crap.

My thoughts.... and remember I have been an AMD supported for a long time so it takes a lot for me to admit this.
Nchalada
Occasional Poster

September 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Sat, 28 December 2002 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as i am concerend, AMD chips are poor value for money. if bang for buck is what you want, go with Intel chips.

I've had a lot of probs with AMD chips in the past, like one exploding off the motherboard!(lots of little silicone bits everywhere in the box, motherboard didn't make it Razz )

Intel seem more stable to me

Tony
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Sun, 29 December 2002 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm. also - do yourself a favour - spent a little more and get a better mainboard - gigabyte have issues with some geforce4 cards......no known fixes (yet)

asus or abit would be my bet with MSi a close third.

i'm still running an amd athlon 1200c chip with 512mb of ram and geforce4 or something - serves me great! love it to bits!

RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Sun, 29 December 2002 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get an amd athlon XP 2000 or 2100 and with the money you save get a radeon 9700, that setup will kick way more ass in the 3d/games arena...also say up the HDD 80 gig ata 100 are only like 180 or something...

Also I'm biased towards Asus MB's... I have an old A7v and a duron 800 and win XP and the thing is the most stable system I've seen, it'll run for weeks with out any hari-kiri...I once played games and downloaded shit off the net for 38 hours and nothing...

Tim.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon10.gif  Re: attn: resident computer nerds Sun, 29 December 2002 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Asus mobos too.

RA28, your definition of stable is quite interesting.
My definition of stable is my webserver (HP NetServer E30). I bought it second hand from an auction, installed Red Hat onto it, and booted it up. It stayed up for 320 days until a power outage killed the HDD...

I have an XP box with a Duron 750 on an Asus A7V which stays up a couple of weeks before the performance degrades enough for me to reboot the damn thing.

Anyway, back to the thread. I really think you should get an Athlon XP 2000+ and use the money you save to get a good 7,200rpm ATA100 HDD. Or maybe save up and get a SATA HDD once they come out.
megan
Regular

December 2002
Re: attn: resident computer nerds Sun, 29 December 2002 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Off topic..

And for the sinfully geeky there is a new edition of Phrack out.

This addition features a GPS jammer and some attacks on SMB.

http://www.phrack.org/

Cheers,

Megan
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Mon, 30 December 2002 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah 320 days.......now you're talking uptime - had a novell 3.11 servers running on a mod95xp some years ago - that was well over the 400 mark!

unlike the weekly reboots we have to do to NT boxes...
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Mon, 30 December 2002 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey! I hammer games on this thing all hours of the day and install every piece of software I come across. You should see adaware have a heart attack when it gets run!

Doesn't matter much anyway, becayse of the ammount of shit I install, the system just slows down painfully after a month or so so I have to re-ghost...

Tim.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Wed, 01 January 2003 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. ghost........ Very Happy
cseufert
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: attn: resident computer nerds Sat, 04 January 2003 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing not to forget is a GOOD quality Power supply.
Like AOpen, Enermax, or Antec.
Usually means the difference between random strangeness, and nice stable system.
ttsoarer
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: attn: resident computer nerds Sat, 04 January 2003 05:55 Go to previous message
do yourself a favour and buy an intel processor , i have 400 pc i look after and i have had to underclock the amd's to make them as stable as the p4's
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hilarious
Next Topic:the christmas pressie thread
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 07:33:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082528591156006 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.