Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
250 Motorbike Q's Sun, 21 November 2004 11:14 Go to next message
Howdy bois,
I understand this question isnt on cars and therefore doesnt fit the general car bit, so if its prob, someone feel free to move it to the outhouse.
allright, im thinking of getting a motorbike, and dont wanna do the rebellious 'just buy a 600' im thinking of my options and ive narrowed it down to: honda cbr, suzuki rgv and honda nsr.
i realise the CBR is prolly the best bet for reliability and performance, but i like the design on the suzuki and nsr better, plus they are quicker, but ive heard they have trouble with reliability. anyways, any information or direction is appreciated, plus any other recommendations.
also, after some advice on actually getting my l's, how hard is it, how much and so forth? i can find out for myself, just after some thinking material in the meantime Smile
also, anyone who can direct me to some good motorbike forums i can better focus my questions that would be good
ta
  Send a private message to this user    
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Sun, 21 November 2004 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok,

Your best bet will probably be a cbr 250rr. Try to get the aus delivered one as most of the imports are how should i say.....A little sketchie. EG: clocks wound back is the most common.

You cant get an rgv while you are on your L's as its a two stroke and besides man, they have all been hammered and the chances of you finding one that hasn't been is slim to none.
As for the nsr, for gods sake dont be gay and get the 150 one! As for the 250, im not sure if you are able to get it while on your L's. You might have to ask about that one.

Ive got a cbr250rr (aus one) and did my L's and P's tests on it. Being a sports bike it is a little harder to maneuver it in the U turn test but all together its not that hard. Then again I've been riding since i was like 10 but still, i don't think it was that hard.

If you want a really easy bike to do the test on then get a dirt bike. I guarantee you'll pass first go.

So, to sum it up......

try to get yourself a nice cbr 250rr and you'll be right. I've had mine up to 170km/h. takes a bit to get it there but she'll go. Power isn't that responsive under about 12,000rpm but it isnt all that bad. onces it gets there you'll be off like a shot all the way to about 17,000 - 17,500rpm where i suggest you change cause it doesn't really make more power after that it just gets louder.

Anyhow, good luck with it all.
Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Mon, 22 November 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how tall are you, and how much do you weigh?

if you're a big unit, then a 2-stroke won't be much fun, but if you're small, then they're awesome, as long as you can look after it. later models aren't so bad, but they are still definitely temperamental, and a little idiosyncratic...

the 250 4-strokes are a bit more resilient, but all in all, pretty crap. if you just want something to punt around, then any of these will be ok for the duration of your restricted license, but don't expect to be inspired.

and why knock the baby 2-strokes??? haven't tried the NSR150, but a girlfriend has a fully de-restricted RS125 which is just about the most fun i have ever had on a bike... it can absolutely stomp any 250 4-stroke you put next to it, and when zipping around town, it is close to unbeatable!
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Mon, 22 November 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah im definately attracted to the little 2 strokes, i am a small unit so itd be good i guess, im bout 75 kg.
a honda nsr...now is that a 2 or 4 stroke? ive heard they were shit, i dunno, everyone has different opinions, guess theres lemons in anything.
i understand the cbr would be the best bike for a L's driver, its just i dunno, id be looking at cheap bikes like around 3 grand, and i reckon the old crbs dont look that inspiring. and i cant afford an RR even tho id love one.
how much does it cost to go for the liscense and so forth? do u have to use your own bike do you?
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Mon, 22 November 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you must go 2-stroke, check out the Aprilia's too...... The 125 RS's aren't that great in my experience, but the 250's romp like a mofo. Otherwise another 125 is the Cagiva Mito, which I found pretty darn fun, but also lacking in oomph. Still, if I was in your position, I'd get the CBR 250rr.
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Mon, 22 November 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, im thinking i wouldnt get a passible crb rr for around 3 grand would i?
Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Mon, 22 November 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NSR, RGV, Aprilia RS are all 2-stroke bikes, very road/race orientated. remember that this also means a different riding position, and sore wrists/bruised arse. Laughing Embarassed

AE86slut wrote on Mon, 22 November 2004 13:45

If you must go 2-stroke, check out the Aprilia's too...... The 125 RS's aren't that great in my experience, but the 250's romp like a mofo. Otherwise another 125 is the Cagiva Mito, which I found pretty darn fun, but also lacking in oomph. Still, if I was in your position, I'd get the CBR 250rr.

as i was saying above, the 125 is a pretty different bike with a good exhaust (full system, not just a can) and the CDI modded. it is also far from legal in this tune... but eventually not many 2-strokes will be legal, so enjoy them while you can! Very Happy

i'm very biased toward the little Aprilia's, but they really are very nicely made, and you notice this when you're really having a go. i just wish it could grow up into a Mille!

and... if you're into that sort of thing, then the 250 out of the RGV chassis also bolts straight into the RS125 frame... i'd love to do one of these for around town... trying to talk my little mate into it. she can drag the pegs on her 125 these days, so i think she's ready! Evil or Very Mad
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Mon, 22 November 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you thought about a 250 Kawazaki?
Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Mon, 22 November 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and by the way, i think she picked up her RS125, 3 years old but recently rebuilt, for about 4 and a half??

think about how easy it will be to re-sell whatever you buy, too...
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Mon, 22 November 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah cheers for the info, this is good Smile
nah dont really like the kwaka 250s, anything up from that is cool, but for my price range the zzr look a bit touring bike kinda...
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Mon, 22 November 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get the rgv's they blow the doors off a cbr 250 theyre fairly cheep and you get adjustable suspension.We got 2 Very Happy Watch the power valves though if it drops one your up a motor.the rgvs are not learner legal. Id say go the rs125 they look great go like the clappers;BUT YOULL have to look hard to get one for your price, dont forget boots gloves helmate jacket /leathers expect $1000. Any one else in here has a rgv ?

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2004 08:05]

Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Mon, 22 November 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got an RG250 two stroke. i brought it fix up and i'm most likely gonna sell it.going for my L's in 3 weeks and i will most likely buy a CBR250RR. they are reliable and look nice. i've been told by alot of people NOT to ride a two stroke as they are too dangerous, which i agree.(been riding bike for about 6 years) I've riden my bros triumph TT600 on the road and that was awesome fun!!!
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Mon, 22 November 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so do u use your own bike for ur L's test?
why r the 2 strokes dangerous? coz they are quicker? or is it more complicated than that?
the rgv, being illegal, hmm well, do u reckon i could get away with it till a knowledgable copper came around? or would they knock it back straight away on the road worthy? :s if so, how come so many people get away with using 600's and so forth?
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Mon, 22 November 2004 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2-stroke 250's own all, but I'd never own one again.

4-stroke 250's blow goats.

I had an old NSR 250 and it was so much damned fun, you could roll the throttle out of a corner and feel the rear skipping around, fighting traction..

Buy something cheap for your L's. Don't waste money on a cbr or something. just get a shitty old CB or GSX 250, get your open license and buy a big bike.

2-stroke bikes but they are race bikes. Ther are uncomfertable, harder too look after, smell (like burning oil) and blow blue smoke. maybe for a weekender but if you're going to be riding it a bit, get something more comfertable.

As for 170 on a CBR. it must've been a damn big hill (yeah, like my '83 GSX 250 can do 155 - down the hill towards mooney mooney bridge...)

Tim.
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Tue, 23 November 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah the mighty rg 250 is it a f w or wd ? we got one of them two it made us buy the rgvs we got a xl600 too thats 5 bikes Very Happy.
if you left the fairing off the rgv youll get passed 95 % of the cops wont know what a rgv is, a good rider on a rgv will blow the doors off a bigger bike when u go to the track days youll see the rgv's lapping the bigger bikes. Also the rgv spit g/box's pretty frequently when u shift into second it breaks a tooth off the gear the engine trys to spin it but siezes and cracks the crank case, i had a mate whom used to race 250 prody'z.I LOVE THE SMELL OF A TWO STROKE. the rgv 250s nsr250 (92 model onwards), kr1 kr1-s,rs250 and tzr are not learner legal because of the power to weight ratio ( or if u want a trail bike try and find a tdr250 which is a motox version of the tzr which i might add is learner legal)

[Updated on: Tue, 23 November 2004 08:34]

170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Tue, 23 November 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 96 RGV it did 13.1@103mph down the quarter, the best cbr250rr was 15.1@84mph, if you want performance cant beat an rgv compared to cbr!
Goose
Regular

April 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Wed, 24 November 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
250 2 strokes are not too reliable, personally i don't think a cbr is the way to go too many of them, but then again parts will be cheaper coz there are so many of them, seeings you are in melbourne have a look at sumoto they do learner packages and discount on your license for people in melboure, in the 4 stroeks i'd go looking a GSXR (suzuki) or a ZX2R(kawasaki) both are good lookers and the ninja is a great ride (till you can get something bigger) the other thing is they are cheaper to buy than a CBR due to the whole craze on the hondas you are paying for a label, the ninja is $9,000 on road for 12 months brand new at the very most which for the ride and power you get is a good little buy.

Ps. i just recently got my L's going to melbourne early next yr to pick up a ninja 3 grand cheaper than i was quoted here in adelaide, the test here was rather easy cost $96 for the first and $86 9 months later for your P's
Gr33nM0nk3y
Regular

September 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Wed, 24 November 2004 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2... *cough* you what now?
"As for the nsr, for gods sake dont be gay and get the 150 one!"
are you calling me gay? Laughing

nsr150sp..
this is my first bike. when i weighed 84/5 i had it up to 192km/h.. last weekend i tried again, after loosing 10kg's (now 74/5) i got to 199km/h.. this is on a one piston 2 stroke 150cc..

when they tested them for a magazine they only got to 184km/h, so either they were soft, or it was a big guy.. *shrugs*

ive ridden zzr250's.. ridden away from cbrr's out cornered most bikes around, had it slid down a busy street, broke the arm that holds the speedo, the indicator, fairings, back break lever, cost me 122$ to fix it minus the fairings..

pulls the girls and sounds fugging awsome at 10,000+rpm

I have never had a problem with this bike. I can definatly recommend one to you, this was my first bike.. I couldnt have chosen any better, unless i found a nice RGV, which they are looking for around 5k for a good one, i payed 4800 for mine, with 3000km's on it..

takes a bottle of oil every 7 tanks, cost like $8/10 to fill up at 1.11c a litre and rides for 140ish km's on a tank, if youre pushing it.

and they have a fuel guage.. unlike some other bikes where you have to slosh the tank to figure out when your gonna run outta fuel.. Smile

my next bike is a zx10 thou *droooool* black.. of course.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 November 2004 04:58]

The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Wed, 24 November 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone know of any good motorbike forums?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Wed, 24 November 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grant - i have a mate in ballarat with a VGC 250 ZZR for sale ..

lemme know if your vaguely interested - ATM its wasting shed space at his place
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Wed, 24 November 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW you can also upgrade the front brakes on the RGV on the cheap Wink I took off the standard twin 4 piston calipers and bolted up twin 6 piston calipers off a GSXR.....now it has some brakes Laughing
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Wed, 24 November 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey classique, im kinda keen on the rgvs dude. but hey, no harm in enquiring how much he wants for it? thanks mate
170: are the standard brakes shit dude?

QUESTION: there is a 1989 rgv on autotrader for like $1200 ono, it says it runs, but needs work.
so, whats your opinion on taking that avenue, given that i can change pistons, rings and shit, but know nothing about bikes.
i guess it depends on how bad she is...
i have paid the price for buying a 2tg that needed a 'lil work'
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Thu, 25 November 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The standard brakes are fine, but the 6 piston are easy and cheap to get and give you all the brake you'll EVER need Razz
spraypainter
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Thu, 25 November 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hey grant,170 is pulling your chain...I had the opportunity to ride the first production RGV250 when it got delivered to WA (remember the pepsi/kevin shwantz models introduced in 88/89?)and once the tyres are warm you can gently lift the rear wheel on front brake only,even when it's wet.Outstanding feel from the standard brakes.The six piston calipers he's referring to may fit but are heavier and a complete waste of your money.

Bear in mind that they are as expensive to buy bits for as any bigbore you may be thinking of.Two strokes have for years been sold in the under 250cc market to learner riders,some of whom are also learning about maintanance,or the lack of,and how much it can cost when you don't do it.These bikes you are all discussing(with the exception of the cbr which is quite docile)have another common trait which may not be apparent to the relatively inexperienced rider and it's this...

Unlike the bikes i learnt to ride on in the 60's/70's which by comparison,had shitty suspension and the tyres to go with it...and generally wobbled and swayed around a bit before flicking you onto the almost nonexistent and boring/el cheapo gear we had back then(jeans/maybe a white helmet/tee shirt)these things don't do that.Next time you look at an NSR,have a look under the righthand footpeg and you should see HRC RACING stamped on the MAGNESIUM crankcases...don't break those...the cbr also has some very expensive internals to cope with it's horsepower seeking and massive redline.Bit's for the rgv you can get just about anywhere...Well maintained NSR's and RGV's are almost identical to ride(but you would'nt want a pillion passenger)and trailbikes around town on knobby tyres takes a hell of a lot of beating just on the sheer funfactor index...

Enjoy it
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Fri, 26 November 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spraypainter Laughing heavier.....don't think so later tokico's are squeeze cast means their lighter and with less flex!! overseas it's a common upgrade due to the stnadard brakes being......well ok, having owned and raced one for quite awhile i think i'll stay with the six piston and my race rubber (yes i do ride it on the road like that) any way what's it matter if he did change the calipers, paople modify cars, why not modify bikes Wink

P.S. i suppose it all comes down to how you ride, oh also when it comes down to engine rebuilds, yeah sure you do it more often BUT generally quite cheap to do pistons/rings etc, i love em!!
Bozza
Regular

September 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Wed, 18 May 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm interested in gettin a bike as a daily driver. I was wondering how hard it is to get ur L's and P's for a motorbike licence? How much does it cost sorta overall? Also does anybody know of a good place to buy a 250 bike in brisbane?

Thanks in advance, Torrens
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Wed, 18 May 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why get a 250? only benefit is that they are cheaper to rego, a little torque goes a long way!!!
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Wed, 18 May 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon get yaself a nice little BSA Bantam. They're great bikes and they don't cost much to run.
Ya could go with the D3 model with the 148cc but I'd go all out and get the later D14 with the neck snapping 173cc powerplant. Shocked
Plus they're definate chick magnets. Wink

Cheers, Greg.
CrispyFries
Regular

June 2003
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Wed, 18 May 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most Learner testing places provide their own bike for the tests, cost is normally around $150 I think for a full day learner course, and the actual test is pretty easy.
RGVs (and most 2 strokes) are dangerous because of their speed and how they come on to power when they hit power band. I read somewhere on the net when I was looking for my first bike that 17% of all rgv owners have a serious or fatal crash in the first year of riding. I went with a suzuki across as my first bike and it had plenty of power for when I was learning, and looked good Very Happy
That said, in victoria RGV's are learner legal bikes as the rule is 260cc and below, no power to weight ratio restrictions.
Restrictions and conditions here

A decent forum would be http://www.overclockers.com.au/mc

[edit]Most of that applies to top post..which it super old Rolling Eyes

You can pick up a fairly decent learner bike for about $3000 plus another grand in gear
You can also pay a lot less for a bike... but you usually get what you pay for.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 May 2005 00:02]

Bozza
Regular

September 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Thu, 19 May 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd go for a 250 because that's wat i'm allowed. At the moment i'm more interested about gettin a licence. Crispyfries does that $150 get ur licence or just ur learners? I think i've heard of QRide or something where u go a couple of times and get competancy's and that equals a full licence. Just wondering if anybody else has heard of this or not.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Thu, 19 May 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NSW is cool can have up to 660cc or 600cc for learner but have power to wieght ratio restriction, err not that it matters to em cos according to me mum as long as i live under her roof i cannot own a bike, hmm move out and bye a bike then shame i can't afford to move out.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Thu, 19 May 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 12:15

err not that it matters to em cos according to me mum as long as i live under her roof i cannot own a bike

Why not? No No No No No No
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Thu, 19 May 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cos she is paranoid, the same reason she won't let me get a second car for drifting although she claims i wouldn't be abel to afford it. She is paranoid about everything. She always envisages the worst possibel scenario and you can't sway her either way.
ATM i having enough trouble tryign to convince her its ok to buy an import. One thing at a time, first the import then the drifting then one day the motorbike.
CrispyFries
Regular

June 2003
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Thu, 19 May 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$150 is just the learner course
It's about another $200 for the licence course.
The prices may be different up there though, your state's traffic authority should have a listing of accredited testing centres and you'll be able to get a more accurate price from them.

Justin
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Thu, 19 May 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know if it has changed since I got my motorbike learners but in 2000 it was free. You only had to do an extra 5 questions on the regular L's test.

AFAIK if you have your open car license you can go through Q-ride which I think is about $250. Then you have open bike license and don't have to get a 250cc or less. This can be good as the 250s are often overpriced compared to bigger bikes purely because of increased demand from L & P riders.

Does anyone here have a bike and use it on the highway much? Because I was maybe looking for a bike to ride to work which is 35kms from my house and mainly highway. So I was thinking a bigger bike would be better because of less revs at higher speeds.
Bozza
Regular

September 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Thu, 19 May 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So Chris Davey do u think that i shouldn't get a motorbike licence until i get my open's car licence. I wont get my open's until next year Sad How much would it cost for a person on the P's? I dont really mind having a restricted 250 licence. Does a L's bike licence allow u to ride a 250 or do u have to have a proper licence. I'm starting to get confused Confused
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Thu, 19 May 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I understand the system to work like this:

L's: have to ride a 250cc or less and ride with a fully licensed rider. (just like car)
P's: have to ride a 250cc or less (I think this is for 1 year)
Opens: ride any bike you want.

I am unsure whether you can do the Q-ride thing on your car P's. I would give them a call and ask. Also, I registered at that overclockers site as there is a lot of good info. over there. I would recommend having a look.
Bozza
Regular

September 2004
Re: 250 Motorbike Q's Sat, 21 May 2005 22:25 Go to previous message
What does everybody think about getting a cbr250 for my first bike? Good or Bad? Thanks
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What model are these AE86 Brake Lights ??
Next Topic:Tyre Width
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 03:46:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078089237213135 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.