Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Hey all, another 1G boost question Thu, 19 May 2005 10:39 Go to next message

Hey ppl,

recently got a stock GZ20, and makin mods. Chucked on a podfilter, exhuast is on the way, boost is a problem. It would seem as though the
wastegate actuators are connected via metal pipe to the exhuast side of the block - most cars have a hose to a section on the intake system.
Do i have to cut the metal pipes to connect a boost controller? I assume im just gonna run both wastegate actuators off the boost controller?

Also, after much searching, it seems there is confusion over the stock AFM. Is there another toyota unit i can replace the stock AFM with and not have to worry about it returning different readings to the stock ECU? I imagine the 7M and 1J arent interchangeable with the 1G afm?
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hey all, another 1G boost question Thu, 19 May 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The hoses run from the compressor covers to the wastegate actuators, if you're looking, on the front of each turbo. Just join these up with a T-piece, hook up the boost controller on the joined section, then T-piece them off to each of the actuators. No cutting required. That metal pipe is probably the coolant line, please dont cut that Wink

What do you mean about confusion? I see no confusion. Any of the 1GGTE AFM's should work, and it's unlikely anything else will.
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: Hey all, another 1G boost question Thu, 19 May 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

ahh - i see! the coolant lines they are - from the top it looks like its the wastegate actuator line - tricked me, ty.

Also, howcome when i progress through the rev range i hear two seperate whines from the turbos, one starts at around 2500rpm and the next at about 3500rpm? I thought the turbos were synchrononous?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hey all, another 1G boost question Thu, 19 May 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are synchronous. They should both spool at the same time unless something is wrong Confused
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hey all, another 1G boost question Thu, 19 May 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would say check for shaft play, however getting the inlet pipes off is a whore of a thing to do!!
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hey all, another 1G boost question Fri, 20 May 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1g uses a nippon denso L-jetronic AFM, this is also the same afm used on toyota motors such as 5m, 3s and i even think 7m. They read airflow by metering how much a internal flap in the AFM is open. For each different toyota motor it would be safe to assume that the spring tension has been adjusted to suit the particular airflow characteristics of that motor and hence if you interchange them you could perhaps lean out, detonate and kiss your motor goodbye. If you dont like the afm on the 1g suggest that you get your self a aftermarket computer, esp if you plan to do big modifications to your motor as the stock afm is very limited as to how big a turbo you can put in the front of it.

Cheers Adam
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: Hey all, another 1G boost question Fri, 20 May 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ah the reason i ask about the AFM, is when pulling off the intake system to clean it, i saw the AFM has a flap, a small square cross-section and goes to circular pipes at either end - which would disrupt airflow quite a bit. So, i was just curious as to whetehr or not i could switch the AFM for more free flowing unit.

Also, i have a GZ20 question regarding cruise control - i dont know how to set it! iv tried everything!

Also, when the suspension changes from soft to hard, only rear right shock makes a click, arent they all supposed to click? Does this mean the adjustment mechanism is damaged (all connectors are clean and plugged in)?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hey all, another 1G boost question Fri, 20 May 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VeeP wrote on Fri, 20 May 2005 16:35

Ah the reason i ask about the AFM, is when pulling off the intake system to clean it, i saw the AFM has a flap, a small square cross-section and goes to circular pipes at either end - which would disrupt airflow quite a bit. So, i was just curious as to whetehr or not i could switch the AFM for more free flowing unit.

Also, i have a GZ20 question regarding cruise control - i dont know how to set it! iv tried everything!

Also, when the suspension changes from soft to hard, only rear right shock makes a click, arent they all supposed to click? Does this mean the adjustment mechanism is damaged (all connectors are clean and plugged in)?

Yeah, AFM sucks. Not easily replaced though.

For the cruise, do a search, but the jist of it is this. Hit the A/D button on the dash, then use the stalk on the wheel with all the Japanese writing on it.
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: Hey all, another 1G boost question Fri, 20 May 2005 09:03 Go to previous message
yeah WTF is the A/D button do anyway? Iv been wondering? wait, ill search
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Installing an LSD centre
Next Topic:4a-ge alternator dimensions (RWD) also, 4a-ge same as 4a-fe alt?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 02:24:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.12220001220703 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.