Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Thermostat Weird Clicking wtf ???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
icon9.gif  Thermostat Weird Clicking wtf ??? Thu, 19 May 2005 14:09 Go to next message
What is the likely cause of a clicking sound from the thermostat housing when you squeeze a heater hose or the top radiator hose ?

The click co-incides with a squeeze of a hose. One squeeze one click......is my thermostat stuffed ? (New 6 months ago).

I need a certain (warm) engine temp for my S/C to work, if my thermostat is stuffed, could this prevent the engine getting up to temp ?
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Thermostat Weird Clicking wtf ??? Thu, 19 May 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What does the temperature gauge say?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Thermostat Weird Clicking wtf ??? Thu, 19 May 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It acts normally, rises normally with time to rest just below the first graduation on the dial, at about 1/3rd of its travel. Radiator gets warm, cabin heater works when asked to. Just never heard the thermostat click when you squeeze a hose before......
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Thermostat Weird Clicking wtf ??? Thu, 19 May 2005 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your thermostat is stuffed your engine will take a long time to reach temp in winter it might not reach temp at all. The clicking could be the internals of the thermostat floating around broken away from its mount allowing a constant flow of water at any given time/temp. I have seen broken thermostat you don't want that you end up with pices of thermostat stuck in water galleries not nice.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Thermostat Weird Clicking wtf ??? Thu, 19 May 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks RA 28,
I will reef off the thermostat tonight and have a look at it.
I know my ECU needs a certain warm/high water temp signal before it allows the S/C to engage so this might be the problem I am having.
Cheers,
Mitch.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Thermostat Weird Clicking wtf ??? Thu, 19 May 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hay mitch does it only click when its hot? It could be just your thermostat closing by you forcing water backwards when you squeese the hose.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 May 2005 22:30]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Thermostat Weird Clicking wtf ??? Thu, 19 May 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It does it when its cold, have not tried it when it hot, but I think I found a furphy.....

I did the same thing on the work ute, a Mazda 2600 this morning, when cold as well, and it also makes the exact same click.

So you are right mate "just your thermostat closing by you forcing water backwards when you squeese the hose."

Onward with the search.....
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Thermostat Weird Clicking wtf ??? Fri, 20 May 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The click will be from the little dangling brass thingo in the weep/bleed/name? hole - allows small amount of water to pass the thermostat - regardless of temp.

the clicking is a good sound.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Thermostat Weird Clicking wtf ??? Fri, 20 May 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, what he said. The clicking is normal - there's a one-way valve type thing on the thermostat that allows air to escape the system. Only cheap aftermarket thermostats dont have this.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Thermostat Weird Clicking wtf ??? Fri, 20 May 2005 13:28 Go to previous message
Good to know its normal.....thanks everyone for your advice.
Cheers,
Mitch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:brake shoes, wich way?
Next Topic:3TGTE AFM
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:45:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045971870422363 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.