Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » [MELB] Car trailer - Score $$$ and maybe a new set of tyres

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
[MELB] Car trailer - Score $$$ and maybe a new set of tyres Thu, 19 May 2005 13:40 Go to next message
Hey all,

I'm heading to the QLD drift nats over the weekend of 4/5 June. I planned to just drive my car up there, but am beginning to think it'd be much better to trailer it, for my hearing if nothing else (I now also have access to a tow-car).

However we'll be away for around 7 days all up and so I don't really want to spend $400+ on trailer hire. So if anyone round Melbourne has a trailer they could spare for a week (1-7 June) and would let me borrow it then please let me know.

I'll make it worth your while, be that in cash, new tyres for the trailer or weld repairs on the trailer.

Thanks
Hen

[Updated on: Sun, 22 May 2005 23:36]

Send a private message to this user    
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: [MELB] Car trailer Thu, 19 May 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hen,

I would not recommend you towing your car up there unless you own a town house in Collins Street as you may need to mortgage it to pay your petrol bill just trying to get there (that is my case for the driving the MA61 to QLD)... Towing your car through the Great Dividing Range could also have a greater chance to cause damage to a modern day passenger vehicle as it could warp the crap out of the back of a car (done that whilst towing the *broken down* SA63 from Melbourne to home). If the passenger vehicle has been fitted with a 2 tonne kilogram towing kit (recent Falcon or Commodore ~ Which I don't have access to Sad ) you might get away with it but the stress of towing that distance.

I would recommend you paying to get the car frighted to a depot near the destination or to drive up (since your car has the reliability not like the MA61)

That is my opinion and experience anyway and you can take it or not... I just don't want to you cause damage or have headaches...

Cheers.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:05]

CRAB-86
Regular

September 2003
Re: [MELB] Car trailer Thu, 19 May 2005 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL, try doing it from adelaide in 5 1/2 days Wink

See ya up there, well show those sun baked QL'ers how to do it Wink
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: [MELB] Car trailer Thu, 19 May 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tow car is a fat-arse mid-80s box-shaped Fairlane (the big one). V8 on gas. I've towed with it before and it doesn't set the world on fire, but it can do the job and isn't TOO expensive on gas.

Plus the interior is far more comfy than the sprinter.

I feel like a bit of a sellout not driving it all the way, but 7/5kg springs and a loud exhaust don't make for a comfy trip.

As for transport, $600 up $400 back plus airfares/petrol for me at a minimum is a bit steep.

Hen
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: [MELB] Car trailer Fri, 20 May 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In that case since you are using a ZL Fairlane V8... Tow away Cool

Good luck in finding a trailer as I don't have one Sad and let me know how you went in towing the car...

Cheers.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: [MELB] Car trailer Fri, 20 May 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a rental trailer would not make it to the boarder without the crappy retreads leting go!

you maybe able to get away with geting a 3T tray from a rental place that you can drive on a car licence and make some high quality ramps to get the car on and off the back it will be ALOT safer
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: [MELB] Car trailer - Score $$$ and maybe a new set of tyres Sun, 22 May 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please... Anyone got a friend with a trailer? I'm happy to pay, just hoping not to have to pay over $400 for the privelige.

Hen
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: [MELB] Car trailer - Score $$$ and maybe a new set of tyres Mon, 23 May 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
omg ppl are so soft...

as if there will be any drama's towing a car interstate. i do it all the time. 5 times in the last year...no big deal

but yes, me and Crabby-boy will be doing Adelaide to Brisbane for the drift nats...go the Celsior Razz

can't wait.

good luck getting a trailer mr Henn Very Happy
toyoda
Regular

November 2003
Re: [MELB] Car trailer - Score $$$ and maybe a new set of tyres Mon, 23 May 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm sorry ben cant help with this one, dont know n e one with one :S
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: [MELB] Car trailer Mon, 23 May 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn wrote on Fri, 20 May 2005 09:29

I feel like a bit of a sellout not driving it all the way, but 7/5kg springs and a loud exhaust don't make for a comfy trip.

Packing the base of your seat with medium-density foam-rubber should take care of teh spring thing, and I can heartily recommend earplugs for cutting out drone & especially wind-noise. Got stereo in da Sprintah?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: [MELB] Car trailer - Score $$$ and maybe a new set of tyres Mon, 23 May 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve-AE86 wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 16:02

omg ppl are so soft...

as if there will be any drama's towing a car interstate. i do it all the time. 5 times in the last year...no big deal

your just lucky! dont tempt fate! even if you are towing a little ass corolla spoofter for dwift
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: [MELB] Car trailer - Score $$$ and maybe a new set of tyres Wed, 25 May 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't like spoofters do you.. hehe. Dwift.

I'm gonna be getting a trailer soon, but probably far to late for you henn.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: [MELB] Car trailer - Score $$$ and maybe a new set of tyres Wed, 25 May 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 15:12

don't like spoofters do you.. hehe. Dwift.

I'm gonna be getting a trailer soon, but probably far to late for you henn.

i heard he doesnt like girls either Confused

good luck with your plight henn
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: [MELB] Car trailer - Score $$$ and maybe a new set of tyres Wed, 25 May 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw a mini car trailer that only carried the front wheels
it was made out of a mini axle (looked to be off a boat trailer) and some steel bars (like what tow trucks have) they just chained the front of the car to this and left in in netural.(The front wheels were on the trailer)
It would work and be piss easy to make and would mean less weight pushing down on the rear of the car maybe making it safer ?
just an idea but it would most likly mean the car would have to be registered
EDIT i just added a bit to makeit more understandable

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2005 06:12]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: [MELB] Car trailer - Score $$$ and maybe a new set of tyres Wed, 25 May 2005 07:48 Go to previous message
there is the other option of a car freight company ..

i forget the pricing on this though but it means no wear and tear on your car at all bar to and from the track + freight yard ..

did this a few times with the celica - got cheap virgin flights up and back - a few times it worked out cheaper than hire/towing trailers or driving all the way
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Insurance Question
Next Topic:Drifting vid from new "Dukes of Hazzard" movie.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 11:22:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051779747009277 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.