Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Alternator belt slippage Fri, 20 May 2005 01:28 Go to next message
This has only happened recently. My alternator belt squeals whenever there's extra load put on it like the heater or foglamps, A/C, etc. I notice now that there's a 'chirp' when moving off at low revs coming from the alternator belt as well. Is this common with 3S-GTE's? From what I've felt, the belt is tight... but it flaps around a bit at idle, and I don't know how much is "too much" slack on the belt. Rolling Eyes I notice that it happens mostly in the wet as well.

Is there any real fix for this (asides tightening the crap out of the belt)? Can the alternator belt be 'too tight'?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Alternator belt slippage Fri, 20 May 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The belt shouldn't flap around... it should be tight enough to stay straight whilst running.
Silicon spray will often get rid of the squeels and it will preserve the belt.

Worst case scenario change the belt... no "remove intercooler" step required for this repair... just about ten thousand turns of the stupid tensioner bolt!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Alternator belt slippage Fri, 20 May 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I usually tighen the belt to the point where you can twist it around 90 degrees, anymore and its too loose, any less and its too tight. Someone showed me that trick and its always worked well for me.

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Alternator belt slippage Fri, 20 May 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And don't forget, with the tensioner, clockwise loosens it, and anticlockwise tightens it... That gets me every bloody time. Razz

Also, keep in mind you can't have the belt too tight as u'll be putting excessive load on the bearings in the alternator and aircon pulleys.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Alternator belt slippage Fri, 20 May 2005 03:06 Go to previous message
Understood. Thanks for that guys.

I'll have a fiddle with it this afternoon and see what becomes of it. Must pick up a bit of silicon spray too, seems like a damn good idea. Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GT4 Gearbox fluid type
Next Topic:NOOB with a question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:06:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006544828414917 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.