Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
GT4 Gearbox fluid type Thu, 19 May 2005 08:20 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

Silly question im sure, but what fluid does Toyota recommend you fill an ST185 non grp A gearbox with? the MR2 BGB online doesnt help (2wd obviously) and also, what is the classification of the GT4 non grp A Box?? is it an E153 aswell??

I have searched, but would like a definitive answer from anyone who has a GT4 manual. Reason being my 2nd gear doesnt like to be rushed, if its rushed (i.e. changing from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration) it will crunch into place or wont go in at all, also 2nd gear will crunch easily especially when engine/gearbox is cold.

Im hoping that its just wrong grade fluid in my box, as i had 2nd and 3rd synchros replaced about 12 months ago, and i dont exactly thrash my car much to wear them out.
  Send a private message to this user    
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT4 Gearbox fluid type Thu, 19 May 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well Its a E150F gearbox.
Toyota says GL4/5 fluid. But if its crunching, that means the synchros are wearing out... Start thinking about a new gearbox later down the track.

To help avoild the crunch. Add some G50 (ithink) Nulon gear treatment. And some lighter gearbox oil. ATF if you want, as its thinner, allows for the synchros to spin up more freely.

Guys in america use Synchromesh which stops all synchro grinding, but really is a short term fix.
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: GT4 Gearbox fluid type Thu, 19 May 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks Lance,

since the synchros were recently replaced (lets rule out shoddy workmanship for now) could a different, thicker grade of oil prevent them from doing their job properly...

If i had to describe the rate of crunching...when the gearbox is cold, quite easy....almost feels like the gear selector falls into gear without resistance with a short but violent crunch....

when things have warmed up it works perfectly except when I want a quick change while accelerating hard...

is this possible??
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT4 Gearbox fluid type Thu, 19 May 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any crunching on gear change is related to synchros. Thicker oil wouldn't help i'd be thinking. You want thinner oil so it allows the synchros to spin up faster.
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: GT4 Gearbox fluid type Thu, 19 May 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i know what your saying...but what i was asking was

"since the synchros were recently replaced (lets rule out shoddy workmanship for now) could a different, thicker grade of oil i.e. whats in my box atm (80/90 or 85/90) prevent them from doing their job properly..."

Hope im being clear about what im asking Smile
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT4 Gearbox fluid type Thu, 19 May 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah if thats what your asking, then yup, if its too thick it could cause your problems at the moment.
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: GT4 Gearbox fluid type Thu, 19 May 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, in that case ill go to toyota and ask for some GL4/5 oil.

When i ask the dude for it is it GL4dash5 OR GL4 or GL5??

Ohhh, and I thank you kindly for posting that link in your sig to the tech manuals...im printing them out as we speak!! kudos to you Lance for making such valuable info available for all Cool
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT4 Gearbox fluid type Thu, 19 May 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GL4 or GL5 just hop down to repco/autobanh/super cheap and get some nice Castrol tranny fluid or something.

BTW, no probs on the articles, its taken a long time to collect them so i give that to everyone..... I only just recently got full DIGITAL copies of the BGB's. They are worth printing out trust me!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 Gearbox fluid type Fri, 20 May 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
API GL4 is the older spec, API GL5 is the newer spec.
Try to get GL5 if you can.
85W/90 Semi or full synthetic gearbox oil is the go.

Also Lance... is the "BGB" the body, engine, gearbox etc. all in one or is it just the engine?
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT4 Gearbox fluid type Fri, 20 May 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BGB is the one that mainly relates to the mechanical/electrical side of things. No mention of body work.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 May 2005 05:24]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 Gearbox fluid type Fri, 20 May 2005 05:34 Go to previous message
Ooh... then my BGB is Blue Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Speedo not working
Next Topic:Alternator belt slippage