Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
King springs Fri, 20 May 2005 03:11 Go to next message
I've got king low/kyb setup for my car yesterday. From what I can see they are no lower than the stock suspension I had on before. I though they were suppose to be lower by 30mm or something, do they varies that much? better yet anyone got a pic of a sprinter with low king spring?

Also anyone got superlow Lovells on their car? on Lovells cataloge they said that its for looks only. I'm just wondering how they are in real life. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks

Send a private message to this user    
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: King springs Fri, 20 May 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got some info on Low Lovells (not superlow)

TFL-33 - 145lbs/inch (2.64kg/mm) - 1 1/2" (38mm) drop
TRL-34 - 170lbs/inch (3.1kg/mm) - 1" (25mm) on the rear

Dunno if thats any good.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: King springs Fri, 20 May 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wait a little bit and the springs compress a bit more under the car, and it will get a bit lower still.
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Re: King springs Fri, 20 May 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about Lovells superlow will it be too low and make the car handle like crap?

Anyone have them in their car?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: King springs Fri, 20 May 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's likely your original springs had "lowered" themselves as they sagged over the years. If you compared your Kings springs to new original springs you'd find they're much lower.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: King springs Fri, 20 May 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should of seen the difference when i put new HD standard ride heights in my corona, the front was only a little higher, but it raised the back and the car had an angle like a dragster for while, still there but not as bad. Just goes to show how much the 400k km springs had sagged, it used ot bottom out with 5 in the car but no more. I reckon it raised it at the rear between 1-2 inch lol.
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: King springs Fri, 20 May 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 20 May 2005 16:32

It's likely your original springs had "lowered" themselves as they sagged over the years. If you compared your Kings springs to new original springs you'd find they're much lower.

What he said. The old springs would've taken a beating, and would have lowered the car from standard. The springs won't really 'settle in' much from what they are now, they pretty much settle in the first time you drive it.. It'll only look higher if it's been jacked up and not moved.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with the guys, from what i estimate my car had sagged about 30mm. Also kings are way too high if you ask me.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and I forgot to say, i dont think you can go too low in a sprinter in a way that it makes the handling bad. That is provided that you take care of the bump stops and also have enough travel. My car is 80mm lower than standard I think at the back right now.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kings are too high?!

I got king standards on mine, and they've lowered the car overall. Not by much, but noticable.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some people have different standards of what low is...

http://member.telpacific.com.au/sam/other/side.jpg
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just have a practical idea on what low is Smile

king super lows = intercooler removing springs
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam_Q wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 22:30

Also kings are way too high if you ask me.

I'm not convinced you can make blanket statements like that - they may be too high for your particular car, but can you say the same for every model car that King Springs make springs for?
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam_Q wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 22:33

oh and I forgot to say, i dont think you can go too low in a sprinter in a way that it makes the handling bad. That is provided that you take care of the bump stops and also have enough travel. My car is 80mm lower than standard I think at the back right now.

Hmm.. what about roll centres etc? Rolling Eyes
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as I know incorect roll centers on a macpherson front end only interfeers with bump steering not the actual handling itself, I might be wrong but I speak from what I have experienced myself here and what I have heard. Also traction is lost at the back too but technally speaking thats not handling either. Luckily RCAs on all 4 sides are easy to correct in an 86.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the height of the springs differs from car to car.

On the topic of height, and the recent mention of roll centres... would loweing a car with IRS have the same negative effect in regards to roll centres as lowering a car with a live rear axel? I mean, if you keep the ratio between the front and rear roll centres the same when the car is lower surely it'll be better off cornering since there is a lower centre of gravity.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much do you value your rear tyres? Smile you get neg camber pretty quickly when you start lowering IRS
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 23:11

Sam_Q wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 22:30

Also kings are way too high if you ask me.

I'm not convinced you can make blanket statements like that - they may be too high for your particular car, but can you say the same for every model car that King Springs make springs for?

yes your so very right, I made the dumb mstake of assuming it was another guy asking a sprinter question after reading Callifo's post, I better get some more sleep now. I know that in an ae-82 for example king lows go to a height that I personally think is the minimum that a street car should be. Let me correct myself: I think king lows for a sprinter barely lower the car.

thanks for the correction, I dont like making uneducated comments
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes well... I know all too well how easy it is to chew up rear tyres Smile But there are modifications that can be done to correct this enough. The rear camber can only help in corners however.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got regular king springs on my car they give a really firm ride and i have to push the car really hard to get understeer.

Without skirts my car looks like and off roader it's that high but i would think of lowering it as it bottoms out on my driveway.

Comparing them with standard toyota springs and pedders springs IMHO king springs are the best.

I've seen pics of XA6X supras with king super lows and they look shocking. I've also heard alot of ppl who buy them swap them out soon after.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 00:49

I've seen pics of XA6X supras with king super lows and they look shocking. I've also heard alot of ppl who buy them swap them out soon after.

Didn't think they had super-lows for the supra. Lows are bad enough. Confused
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got a pic of that celica supra mookie? I am curious how it sits
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: King springs Sun, 22 May 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 23:23

Yes well... I know all too well how easy it is to chew up rear tyres Smile But there are modifications that can be done to correct this enough. The rear camber can only help in corners however.

Kings lows = 3.8 degrees negative camber. Shocked This is NOT good for cornering.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: King springs Mon, 23 May 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha shit i've never measured it! Smile

Time to go see an engineer I think - that damn rear crossmember needs modification!
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Re: King springs Mon, 23 May 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam_Q wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 22:33

I've been led to believed that suspension travel is important for handling on our less than perfect road. If you have your car that low, there can be much suspension travel left is there?

Also could someone explain the purpose of RCA, when would you need them, from what I understood they're like spacer to restore the original suspension geometry is this correct?

regarding the height of the car,I don't like the way king springs it makes the car sit so high, but I like the way it make the car handle. I guess you can have everything right? you can't have it looks good and handle well or can you??

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: King springs Mon, 23 May 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think on a sprinter theres still more than enough suspension travel even without a shortened strut, well that's if the bump stops have been taken care of anyway. I am running some GT4 celica shockers in my homebrew coil-overs so I have an additional 60mm of suspension travel from the stationary height. However I dont think I would have any travel problems even without it. Think of it like this, with hard springs at stock height it would push in 20mm if it was pushed really hard in my car, now if it was super low it would still be 20mm. I beleive my car would have about 30 to 40mm of travel if I used a stock strut, so I would pushing my luck but it should be fine.

As for RCAs your right they restore the original suspension geometry in a car. However I beleive its a common misconception that that's why they are good in the front, which I have been told is incorrect, and instead its the angle of the steering arm that really counts, so the RCA sets the steering arm back to being level which stops bump steer. For the rear of the car it changes the initial position of the roll center, in my car it helped get alot more traction which is important to me. I did this by modifying my diff housing, anyhow if you want to know more go to my worklog and start reading, the links in my signiture.

BTW my car handles awesome as it is and if I could gain an advantage in handling by raising it I would do it very quickly.
JOSEFstyle
Regular

August 2004
Re: King springs Mon, 23 May 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone recogn Kgmm?

Is it a good brand of spring.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: King springs Mon, 23 May 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's really no such thing as good or bad brands - a spring is a spring. Just decide on an appropriate spring rate for your application and buy them from wherever.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: King springs Tue, 24 May 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eh would i be a fool to buy stock TEMS suspension for an MA70 and stick with the old springs? I can't go much lower due to my JZA80 wheels.

I'm in the frame of mind that stock isn't so bad for normal driving. You don't want stiff low suspension for some of the roads here in tasmania, eg in the wet, dips on the road etc. i'd imagine the stock suspension is much better at keeping your car on the road with poor road conditions.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: King springs Tue, 24 May 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't remember where the pics are exactly but they are on this forums i know that much.
it was a light brownish MA61 with stanard wheels it looked like it had a load of bricks in the back and the rear camber was insane i doubt any of the tyre tread was on the rd.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: King springs Tue, 24 May 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 12:56

eh would i be a fool to buy stock TEMS suspension for an MA70 and stick with the old springs? I can't go much lower due to my JZA80 wheels.

I'm in the frame of mind that stock isn't so bad for normal driving. You don't want stiff low suspension for some of the roads here in tasmania, eg in the wet, dips on the road etc. i'd imagine the stock suspension is much better at keeping your car on the road with poor road conditions.

replace with heavy duty standard ride height springs, stiffer than standard but still very compliant.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: King springs Tue, 24 May 2005 08:35 Go to previous message
I had kings springs in my mr2 and it made the car sit so the tyre was just at the same hight as the guard. Wasnt too low and looked good.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gearboxes
Next Topic:Spring rate question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 23:37:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07289981842041 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.