Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4a-ge alternator dimensions (RWD) also, 4a-ge same as 4a-fe alt?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Salad Fingers
Occasional Poster

March 2005
4a-ge alternator dimensions (RWD) also, 4a-ge same as 4a-fe alt? Fri, 20 May 2005 00:09 Go to next message
As per title, just trying to get an alternator sorted for my ae86.
Does any of the fwd ones fit? what about the 4a-fe?

Failing any of that, can someone host some pics and take some measurements of a rwd alternator?

thanks guys
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4a-ge alternator dimensions (RWD) also, 4a-ge same as 4a-fe alt? Fri, 20 May 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using a FWD 4AGE one and have no problems.
devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4a-ge alternator dimensions (RWD) also, 4a-ge same as 4a-fe alt? Fri, 20 May 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recently was on the same quest.

(from what I think I learned) : The Original RWD 4age alternator is mounted down low on the intake side of the motor and uses a multi-v belt (can't remember proper name).
The top adjustment bar for the alternator mounts back to the bracket itself - there is no where to bolt this adjustment bar to the motor of a RWD 4age - unless you swap top water outlet to a FWD one which has a mounting point and use the FWD alternator bracket etc - but then you need to dangle the remote thermostat from the FWD engine off the side of the engine somewhere.

The 4agZE has it's alternator mounted on the exhaust side of the motor - I did not get any information as to whether the bracket for this engines alternator placement is self contained (IE. adjustment bar mounts back to the bracket).

Inspired by the dodgy way that my engine had its last alternator installed - you can use the 4ac alternator mount (not sure if the combined powersteering pump bracket works) - and the 4ac alternator.
YOU WILL NEED:
* 4ac alternator bracket
* extra long alternator adjustment bar (from some other car
* 4ac or similar alternator
* some other thingy things and an angle grinder and a drill:D

_Mount 4ac alternator bracket to exhaust side of engine
_Bolt 4ac alternator onto bracket in normal way
_Swing alternator around so that it is now UNDERNEATH the bracket rather than above like on the 4ac (may require a tiny bit of force)
_attatch long adjustment bar and try and make it reach to the block where there is a hole very close to one of the studs that the alternator bracket is bolted to - if it does great! now notice that there is a gap of about 1" between the mounting hole in the block, and the thing (whatever you used) you are trying to bolt to it.
_This is where the thingy things come in - use some thingy things, possibly an angle grinder, and some imagination (of belt squeal). I Found the angle grinder very handy as I used it to cut its own blade removing tool into something that i bent into a bracket which i bolted to the block, and bolted the adjustment bar to.
looked kinda like this ---> [ (i wish i had a digital cam)

Alternatorively (haha) - you could pm "TerryOBeirne" as his shop has maybe one brand new RWD 4age alternator bracket - I think it was $185 or there abouts. (price you pay for parts made of un-obtainium)

Hope this helps!
devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4a-ge alternator dimensions (RWD) also, 4a-ge same as 4a-fe alt? Fri, 20 May 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wait: do you already have the alternator mount?

whatever, someone will get something out of that post... hopefully Sad
Salad Fingers
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 4a-ge alternator dimensions (RWD) also, 4a-ge same as 4a-fe alt? Fri, 20 May 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I already have the RWD mount and adjuster arm.

All I want to know is if the fwd alternators have the same mounting dimensions as the rwd one.
The 4a-c one does not even come close to fitting in the rwd mount the spacing of the 'ears' are too far appart.
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: 4a-ge alternator dimensions (RWD) also, 4a-ge same as 4a-fe alt? Fri, 20 May 2005 08:45 Go to previous message
i have a rwd bracket with a 20v altenator

lines up perfect with waterpump and balancer groves closest to the timing cover ( balancer has 2 sets of ribs)

complete setup: rwd bracket, 20v alt, rwd waterpump housing, fwd 4age waterpump, 20v waterpump pulley, 20v balancer with 2 sets of ribs for 2 belts only using closest to timing cover

thinking of sourcing a single belt balancer off fwd 4ac gota check if fits tho but looks like it will work
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hey all, another 1G boost question
Next Topic:seatbelt locking up
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 10:55:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061759948730469 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.