Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
myTA22
Regular

December 2002
icon5.gif  What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs Fri, 27 December 2002 00:32 Go to next message
I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are as to the best welder for automotive repairs. I am thinking about buying one as i want to do a heap of rust repairs on my car before i spray it, I want to make sure that i get the best one for the job nd one which will also be good when it comes to custom manifolds etc.

Thanks

Daniel
  Send a private message to this user    
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs Fri, 27 December 2002 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A TIG welder if you can afford one. Otherwise MIG, not that it matters too much if your a gun stick welder anyway!
myTA22
Regular

December 2002
Re: What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs Fri, 27 December 2002 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Never welded before in my life, well a little bit of stick but only enough to sneeze at, so i figure i might as well get the right one to start with.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs Fri, 27 December 2002 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of my friends just bought this small little MIG for about 500 dollars. It has wire feed etc and now he just welds all sorts of shit and scrap in order to improve his skill.

I am going to do the same thing, welding and modified cars just go together....... Rolling Eyes
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs Fri, 27 December 2002 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Youngy wrote on Fri, 27 December 2002 12:16

One of my friends just bought this small little MIG for about 500 dollars. It has wire feed etc and now he just welds all sorts of shit and scrap in order to improve his skill.

If you buy a MIG then i would recomend that you get one a little bit better then a $500 Portable one! i say get one that is around $1000 and is on wheels as they will do all different metal thinkness, it may apear that a smaller welder is welding fine but just break open your weld with a press and you will be able to see the lack of penetrartion! The portable welders also have a low duty cycle, which means that you can only weld for a small time then have to let it cool Sad eg. 25% duty-cycle means that in any 5 minute time space you can only weld for 1min15sec Sad so go for a welder with a higer duty-cycle.
If you go to a good welding shop then they will be able to help you out in getting the best welder for your money Smile

Just my 2c

[Updated on: Fri, 27 December 2002 01:56]

mtsbirch
Regular

October 2002
Re: What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs Sat, 28 December 2002 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you get a MIG welder, look for one that can be accessorized to do TIG. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, look into an Oxy-Acetylene setup. Gas welding is a little harder to learn than MIG but a good gas welder is very versatile. Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs Sat, 28 December 2002 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been looking at getting the UNI-MIG Procraft 240. Lots of features and a reasonably good price!
http://www.aussieweld.com.au/product_pages/unimig/ procraft.htm

[Updated on: Sat, 28 December 2002 06:38]

FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs Sat, 28 December 2002 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool1: I just had a look at the link and that is a very good welder for home use! Smile what sort of money do they want for one of them?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs Sat, 28 December 2002 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well TradeTools are selling it for $1349 but i'm sure it could be bouht cheaper!
http://www.bids.com.au/TradeTools/welders.html

I might try and get one for trade price through my work!
Miles B
Newcomer

December 2002
Re: What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs Mon, 30 December 2002 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's not a bad price... I have been looking for a welder lately too. The portable ones just don't seem to have the adjustability or current required.

I wonder where I can find a Victorian distributor with decent prices...?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs Mon, 30 December 2002 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate I have just been running around all day to different places looking at welders! Most of the places I went to were closed Sad
But anyway, those portable welders are just a waste of time and money as far as I can tell! You might as well spend a few hundred more and get a damm good welder!
But from all the welders I have looked at the UNIMIG 240 seems to be the best value for money!
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs Mon, 30 December 2002 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1: That is a real good price from what i have seen around! and with that welder you will be able to weld all different thickness with no problems including aluminium( but i only recomend tacking aluminium with a mig)
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What is the best type of welder for automotive panel repairs Mon, 30 December 2002 05:03 Go to previous message
Well I was lucky enoght to see that welder in action today! The was doing seom seem welding on a aluminium pod for a boat! Worked damm great!
He also said that model welder is the best in that price range to do thin aluminium like on small boats!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What's a SA63 look like - any pics?
Next Topic:Attn: Oz Craig
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 17:05:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.059246063232422 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.