Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ae86 rear wheel bearing replace?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
ae86 rear wheel bearing replace? Sat, 28 December 2002 09:45 Go to next message
Hello, got a noisy drivers side rear wheel bearing on the Sprinter.

Is this job possibly to do at home without the use of a press?

Any hints or tips?

Many thanks!
Joel
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ae86 rear wheel bearing replace? Sun, 29 December 2002 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive done this at home without a press, used a BIG ass chisel and destroyed the old bearing, try not to damage the axle tho, its not the best way to do it but it worked at the time..

deltathing
Regular

June 2004
Re: ae86 rear wheel bearing replace? Sat, 18 December 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know this thread is ancient, but.
does anyone have any more information on the matter??
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ae86 rear wheel bearing replace? Sat, 18 December 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd remove axle and take it to a mechanic to get old bearing pressed off and new one pressed on
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ae86 rear wheel bearing replace? Sat, 18 December 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im a mechanic, and sometimes the only way to get it off is to use a angle grinder to cut the collar (and bearing sometimes) as much as you can without touching anything else, then use a cold chisel to cut it the rest of the way till it slips off. The axle needs to be held very tightly in a big vise.

The new bearing and collar needs to be pressed on, unless you can find a long bit of pipe and a big hammer that will do the job.

It can be done at home, but I would be more comfortable having a press handy for re-installing the new one. Angle grinders are cheap now, no licence required.
deltathing
Regular

June 2004
Re: ae86 rear wheel bearing replace? Sat, 18 December 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check..

now i just have to get the damned axle out.. Confused
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ae86 rear wheel bearing replace? Sat, 18 December 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have drums
undo the hand brake slide the drum off
unbolt the 4 nuts holding it in and bolt a wheel on back ward and kick it a few times and it should come out.

if you have disks
unbolt caliper, slide disc off
unbolt the 4 nuts holding it in and bolt a wheel on back ward and kick it a few times and it should come out.
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: ae86 rear wheel bearing replace? Sat, 18 December 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did this on my sprinter

took drum off undid 4 bolts holding axel in pulled it out then opened the vice so the collar sits on top of the two jaws but not clamped in then hit the top wit a cold chisel few times and it deforms the collar and just slid off then had to press old bearing off and press new bearing and collar on took bout half hour dont forget to replace the seal
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: ae86 rear wheel bearing replace? Sun, 19 December 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel.. for the sake of less than $40 take it to a mechanic and get them to stress about it Smile a decent press makes it a hell of a lot easier.
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: ae86 rear wheel bearing replace? Sun, 19 December 2004 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a question, what sort of noise tells you your bearing is starting to have problems?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ae86 rear wheel bearing replace? Sun, 19 December 2004 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grinding sort of noise
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: ae86 rear wheel bearing replace? Sun, 19 December 2004 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because my passenger's rear wheel makes a wup wup wup wup noise more noticable at speed. These things easy to replace? RT104 Corona...
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ae86 rear wheel bearing replace? Sun, 19 December 2004 21:54 Go to previous message
read above
best to pay someone to do it and rip axles out yourself.

noise could also be the diff or diff bearings though
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA61 about to go under the Knife
Next Topic:Timing belt snaped quick question.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 13:03:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059099197387695 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.