Toymods » Tech & Conversions » HKS Metal Head Gasket (4AGE) / Head bolt torque

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cswan
Regular

May 2002
icon5.gif  HKS Metal Head Gasket (4AGE) / Head bolt torque Fri, 20 May 2005 05:52 Go to next message
Hi all,

I recently built a new 4AGE using a (2mm) HKS metal head gasket, spraying it with Hylomar and torquing the head bolts as specified in the Toyota manual.

It ran for about 5 mins before I saw coolant and oil leaking out the exhaust side.

It turned out the exhaust side head bolts had come loose. Examining the gasket and the head/block surfaces, it appears that they never really sealed. Neither the block or head were decked in the rebuild.

Can anyone suggest what I did wrong?

Do HKS metal head gaskets require hylomar/sealant? I understand they are coated with a rubber compound.

Do the exhaust side head bolts require greater torque because they are longer?

Thanks Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: HKS Metal Head Gasket (4AGE) / Head bolt torque Fri, 20 May 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cswan wrote on Fri, 20 May 2005 15:52

Neither the block or head were decked in the rebuild.

I reckon this is it.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: HKS Metal Head Gasket (4AGE) / Head bolt torque Fri, 20 May 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds about right to me also i'd start by getting the head checked first.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: HKS Metal Head Gasket (4AGE) / Head bolt torque Fri, 20 May 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

exhaust side head bolts had come loose

i think that is impossible, except for a seriously overheated head that will expand & stretch them. i don't think you ever tightened them.

also the 2mm gasket is for lowering compression and should be more then enough to cope with a head & block that haven't been gorssly over cooked.
if the head and the block were not checked, then it wasn't rebuilt.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: HKS Metal Head Gasket (4AGE) / Head bolt torque Fri, 20 May 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the head and block are fine and your using a regular head gasket you might not need to machine them. but if your using a metal head gasket you definately should. i also recommend getting the head o-ringed also with a MHG. and another thing, i usually do head bolts tighter than recommended unless they are torque to yield.
cswan
Regular

May 2002
Re: HKS Metal Head Gasket (4AGE) / Head bolt torque Sat, 21 May 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Smile

FWIW, the motor was not rebuilt as a result of overheating. The head and block were checked for squareness and the engine builder did not see the need to deck either surface.

From what I've read, I still reckon it might be that's what I need to do, however, because the MHG is harder.

I'll give it another burl checking the torque more carefully. I'm using factory head bolts.

Back to the garage....... Rolling Eyes
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: HKS Metal Head Gasket (4AGE) / Head bolt torque Sat, 21 May 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remove head
deck block and head to attain uniform surface
replace o ring
use new MHG
torque down as per manual or OEM advice. no more no less.
run in engine @ idle for 30 mins (allowing thermo to open fully) checking for leaks

if none go nuts Smile
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HKS Metal Head Gasket (4AGE) / Head bolt torque Sat, 21 May 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The head bolts should be tightened to the gasket manufacturers suggested torque. Multi layer metal shim gaskets should not be used with O rings (to the best of my knowledge).
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: HKS Metal Head Gasket (4AGE) / Head bolt torque Sat, 21 May 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla wrote on Sat, 21 May 2005 17:13

The head bolts should be tightened to the gasket manufacturers suggested torque. Multi layer metal shim gaskets should not be used with O rings (to the best of my knowledge).

This is correct, as they are a harder metal layered with a rubbery type compound unlike the copper ones which need the extra support the o-rings provide.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: HKS Metal Head Gasket (4AGE) / Head bolt torque Sun, 22 May 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the hks a multilayer gasket or is it copper?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: HKS Metal Head Gasket (4AGE) / Head bolt torque Sun, 22 May 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd assume multi.
cswan
Regular

May 2002
Re: HKS Metal Head Gasket (4AGE) / Head bolt torque Sun, 22 May 2005 10:06 Go to previous message
It's multi-layered and covered with a rubber resin
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:(18rg) wade 137 cam specs
Next Topic:Slight White/Blue Smoke At High Revs??????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 15:26:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006026029586792 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.