Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Corolla2nv
Newcomer

May 2005
carby corolla: helping it start Fri, 20 May 2005 01:06 Go to next message
hi, i have a corolla, and its carby..
it has some trouble starting at times.. is there any way to help to improve on its daily starts..
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: carby corolla: helping it start Fri, 20 May 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the choke is not working properly, give the car two full pedal fulls of fuel whilst the car is off. then try and start it. i have to do this to my v8 since i removed the choke cos it was a PITA.
Let us know how that goes.

Corolla2nv
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: carby corolla: helping it start Fri, 20 May 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry not very familiar with the technical car terms, but what is the choke?
Corolla2nv
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: carby corolla: helping it start Fri, 20 May 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
help please?
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: carby corolla: helping it start Fri, 20 May 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
learn where the choke is and it will start like a new one Razz.... or get a can of "start you bastard".. carbie cleaner.. but thats a bit excessive to use everyday
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: carby corolla: helping it start Fri, 20 May 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forget i mentioned choke, just do what i said Smile
Corolla2nv
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: carby corolla: helping it start Fri, 20 May 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
give the car two full pedal fulls of fuel whilst the car is off.

So i step on the pedal for a while.. then start the car?
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: carby corolla: helping it start Fri, 20 May 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He means to press the accelerator pedal fully to the floor twice and then start the engine. You don't have to hold it on the floor when you press it, you just press then release the accelerator.

What this does is engage the automatic choke and also squirts some fuel into the carby.

The choke is a device in the carby that restricts air flow and allows the engine to run better when starting a cold engine.

BTW what model corolla is it?
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: carby corolla: helping it start Fri, 20 May 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh that'd be the best way to improve it starting, or try clean the carby out Razz
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: carby corolla: helping it start Fri, 20 May 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Couple of other/alternative ideas;

- Upsize the coil
- Check/replace plugs, condenser, points

Both of those will give you a stronger spark, which will help it light the petrol easier, especially on cold days. The KE5x series Corolla come with a larger-ish coil, compared to the KE3x that is.. I've found my KE55 starts a hell of a lot easier than the old KE30.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: carby corolla: helping it start Fri, 20 May 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another option is if it has a ballast resistor for the coil you can hook up a bypass wire to give 12v to the coil when cranking. Will give a better spark when cranking and is pretty easy to do.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: carby corolla: helping it start Fri, 20 May 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you don't know where the choke is (!), why not rip out the owners manual and have a read?
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: carby corolla: helping it start Fri, 20 May 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have an ae82, not too sure where the ae92 one is

It should be up near the rear of the engine bay, just to the right (when u stand in front of the car) of the carby with a hydraulic wire thing attached. It says '090' on it, just pull that out all the way and it'd start better. But it's easier to just press the accelerator rather than accessing the engine bay every morning Razz
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: carby corolla: helping it start Sat, 21 May 2005 18:23 Go to previous message
Make sure you do the obvious like have the music, lights, ac/heater all turned off before you start the car.
My 4ac ae82 starts first time everytime. It's just a PITA having to wait for it to warm up for about 5 minutes.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Noise in steering column
Next Topic:bris or gold coast-anyonedoing 1j into 70supra or mx83?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 18:28:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057339668273926 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.