Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3s-ge into st141 - some more info needed

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
3s-ge into st141 - some more info needed Sun, 15 May 2005 16:25 Go to next message
Just need some info on the g/box, what auto box should i use that will hold up to it and, will it be necessary to upgrade the tailshaft/diff as well? if so what series shaft/diff should i look for? any info on these will be very helpful

And for the FWD to RWD drive conversion of the 3sge, is there anymore info needed on top of this

http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/index.php?t=msg &th=2590#msg_num_6

also whats the best way to deal with the drivers side engine mount? i dont have a welder or the knowledge and i dont know of anyone that has one or anyone that could modify/make one up for me, any suggestions?

I have searched, that one link above is the only useful info i could find for this, im am yet to read "Joel's RWD 3S-GTE conversion" thread but i will soon so any other info for this conversion, will be appreciated.

cheers
chris

[Updated on: Sun, 15 May 2005 16:26]

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3s-ge into st141 - some more info needed Mon, 16 May 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Best auto box would be the 4-speed unit out of the SA63 Celica. Stock tailshaft and diff should be fine, it won't have much more torque than the original engine.
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3s-ge into st141 - some more info needed Mon, 16 May 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what box is that? W45? this box coming from a SA63 would i have to modify the g/box mount or just use the sa63 or st141 mount?

3s-ge has roughly same torque as a 2s? thought it would have better torque being twin cam and basicly better built then 2s

cheers
chris

spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 3s-ge into st141 - some more info needed Mon, 16 May 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More power, but not necessarily heaps more peak torque.

The 3S will rev better and breathe better, meaning it can keep the torque band relatively strong at 5000-6000rpm, meaning decent power production. The 2S would be majorly struggling to get enough air in the chambers at that engine speed.

CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3s-ge into st141 - some more info needed Fri, 20 May 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spectral wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 07:33

More power, but not necessarily heaps more peak torque.

The 3S will rev better and breathe better, meaning it can keep the torque band relatively strong at 5000-6000rpm, meaning decent power production. The 2S would be majorly struggling to get enough air in the chambers at that engine speed.

yeah 2s does have a bit of trouble even trying to rev that high, had it up to almost 5k and that was strugling Very Happy

what box am i looking for? and would there be any mods to the interior around the gear selector?

cheers
chris
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3s-ge into st141 - some more info needed Fri, 20 May 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Fri, 20 May 2005 07:30]

CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3s-ge into st141 - some more info needed Sat, 21 May 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 3s-ge into st141 - some more info needed Sat, 21 May 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool1 had posted some pics showing off his driver-side engine mounts for the 3sgte - PM him if you can't find with search - Googling this site might be easier if you're not comfortable with the forum's own search tool.

as for gearboxes - unless you can find a bellhousing to mate a larger A34x auto box or similar, you're probably stuck with what came with the 2/3S engines. As long as you can keep the trans cool, it should easily cope with the increase on power.

Norbie's suggestion would be the easiest (auto from SA63). the code for them would be something like an A40 or A42 - Wxx indicates a manual box.

Any reason why you're going auto? a manual would eliminate the inevitable power-losses that come with auto boxes.

cheers,
charles.
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3s-ge into st141 - some more info needed Sun, 22 May 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so im looking for an A40 or 42 box?

the 4 speed auto box from sa63 are still good arent they? i was just going to stick with one from an S series anyway, unless i could source a bellhousing to suit a better box.

the reason im going for auto is pure laziness Very Happy Very Happy its my daily so i rather have an auto for daily, plus its an auto already so less fucking around basicly

i still need to get a bit for info on the mounts so ill find cool1's post and have a check, thanks

cheers
chris
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3s-ge into st141 - some more info needed Sat, 02 July 2005 15:20 Go to previous message
Just bumping up the thread again cause im going to have a few more questions to ask over the next few months

thechuckster wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 09:45

as for gearboxes - unless you can find a bellhousing to mate a larger A34x auto box or similar, you're probably stuck with what came with the 2/3S engines. As long as you can keep the trans cool, it should easily cope with the increase on power.

When you say it will handle the power increase if the trans is kept cool, will i need to upgrade the radiator to help with this or can just stick with stock one? Im might need to replace it anyway so im just asking to see if the stock one would still do the job if in good condition.

Also is there any complete/detailed Tech articles on how to convert a 3SG(T)E to RWD?
Ive had a look in the Tech articles page on the ToyMods website but couldnt find anything and also on the forums all i could find was bit and pieces, has anyone got or know of somewhere i can get a complete/detailed one from?

cheers
chris
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:High oil pressure
Next Topic:Setting KM's on a odometer(for TRD speedo)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:15:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068089962005615 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.