Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Ultimate K motor?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Ultimate K motor? Sat, 21 May 2005 07:38 Go to next message
hello, I'm sure this has been asked and answered before on here, but...before you tell me to go do a search, i already have, and all i can find are tidbits of threads about other stuff, and i don't get the in-depth advice on the subject that I'm after.

My situation is...
i have a KE35 and want it to have a bit of poke, so i am in the process of doing a 4AGTE conversion, but as i am going to be doing a full rebuild on a 4agze, and spend a fair amount of $$, so that engine wont be in for over a year, but in the meantime i wouldn't mind building a tough k motor, so what I'm asking is for the people that are in the know, the people who appear every time k motors get a mention, to tell me how to make a fun k motor.
the only constraints are...
it has to be a bolt up job, i don't want it to be in the shop too long, or better yet do it myself.
it cant be too much maintenance IE extremely fickle carbs.
it cant cost more than 2 grand to build. (the cheaper the better tho!)
thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Ultimate K motor? Sat, 21 May 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
port the exhaust ports of a 3K head, shave for 10.5:1 CR, get something like a camtech 609 regrind (and dual springs), get 4-2-1 tuned extractors and 2" exhaust, get 4KE or 7KE fuel injection manifold, get either elec dizzy or HEI kit. put it all together.

or go read the TOSCO 3K manual Wink
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Ultimate K motor? Sat, 21 May 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sidenote, which is better?
2tg or 3k/4k hyrbrid
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Ultimate K motor? Sat, 21 May 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3K Rally Motor Performance Rebuild to 1400cc
Making the 3k go harder
More poke 3k
3K-C engine mods

But apart from that, the same things would apply - intake, compression, spark, exhaust and capacity.

Or you could even de-compress the motor a little and add a turbo.

Apart from that the only thing i could say is a hotter cam, head shave, 2" exhaust and upgrade the carby. IMO i'd keep the the factory exhaust manifold.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Ultimate K motor? Sat, 21 May 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sat, 21 May 2005 18:02

sidenote, which is better?
2tg or 3k/4k hyrbrid

which has more capacity and has OHC? Rolling Eyes
frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Re: Ultimate K motor? Sat, 21 May 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks oldcorollas, i knew that subject would get your attention! may i ask what set up you run and what sort of power you're making? i take it thats your KE15 in your avatar?
sorry if this is a dumb question, but whats HEI? its electronic ignition of some sort right?
with the 4KE, were they in corollas at all or just hiace/litece or whatever?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Ultimate K motor? Sat, 21 May 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frontspinner wrote on Sat, 21 May 2005 18:16

Thanks oldcorollas, i knew that subject would get your attention! may i ask what set up you run and what sort of power you're making? i take it thats your KE15 in your avatar?
sorry if this is a dumb question, but whats HEI? its electronic ignition of some sort right?
with the 4KE, were they in corollas at all or just hiace/litece or whatever?

meh i'm just tryin to help.
i run about that setup.. a little different. power? not sure as i have not properly tuned the EFI or dynoed it.. i would guess it will be around 100-110hp after the timing is properly tuned, for my combination.
no, it's a race car from canada.
High Energy Ignition, ie the Jaycar kit.
4KE are in US starlets 81-83. 7KE is in recent townace
frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Re: Ultimate K motor? Sat, 21 May 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys, this is helping!
sorry if i sound like a 16 yr old asking how to get POWR.
Are the efi systems easy to get hold of?
i assume they have a fuel only computer?
if so how do they go handling much extra power?
and same for the injectors, are there any worthwhile simple injector upgrades?
and what sort of $$$ am i looking at to build a setup of about 100hp?
kebluey
Regular

January 2005
icon14.gif  Re: Ultimate K motor? Sat, 21 May 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
I'm thinking about building a tuff K motor aswell, I was wondering if it would be a better idea to build a custom inlet manifold using 4ag-e injectors(or similar)and throttle body and buy a cheap fuel-only computer? surely you could build a more efficient one for making bigger power, or would it be too much hassle?

[Updated on: Sat, 21 May 2005 13:05]

boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Ultimate K motor? Sat, 21 May 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmmm. K motors rule. What valve springs would you recommend? OldCorollas, and anyone else.
Thanks
Troy
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Ultimate K motor? Sun, 22 May 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a camtech 35/75 cam, port the head, raise comp, depending on what block you have you can bore some of them 120tho, put a dgv webber on it with a redline adaptor plate,

PUT A GOOD HEAD GASKET ON IT,

my old motor was a 4k and it used to hose v6 commodores, be warned you will destroy the stock ke drive line very very easy

as for the valve springs im pretty sure we used holden 202 springs

Dale
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Ultimate K motor? Sun, 22 May 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats not the ultimate k motor... in a zoom mag think its the latest one it has a mitsubishi people mover on it ne way... theres a corrola old skewl one with a 5k turbo efi motor makinf 140rwkw!!! Shocked Laughing

all original drive train too...
frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Re: Ultimate K motor? Sun, 22 May 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have considered a turbo or supercharger, but i cant be bothered spending that much money, and im sure the driveline wouldn't be too happy either! i have seen a stock 3k chew a diff on a gravel road, so with a turbo or supercharger.....
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Ultimate K motor? Sun, 22 May 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
still b wikid..... Cool

haha lil old ie corolla rock up at the lights n then bags it up drive off n goes pshhhhhht.... n if it looked dead stock even better Laughing
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: Ultimate K motor? Sun, 22 May 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indeed
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Ultimate K motor? Sun, 22 May 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmmmmm, Thatd be awesome. Has anyone had any experience with cams? Like how was theirs? Increase in performance i.e....
Thanks
Troy
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Ultimate K motor? Sun, 22 May 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
h3ff44 wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 18:08

still b wikid..... Cool

haha lil old ie corolla rock up at the lights n then bags it up drive off n goes pshhhhhht.... n if it looked dead stock even better Laughing

Nar looking stock and sounding stock is way more funnier Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Ultimate K motor? Sun, 22 May 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boofis wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 18:15

Mmmmmmm, Thatd be awesome. Has anyone had any experience with cams? Like how was theirs? Increase in performance i.e....
Thanks
Troy

i personally think the camtech 609 is about as far as you would want to be streetable, ie it still makes power over 8000, and any more overlap will just keep hurting idle and low rpm.
the 609 is 275/285adv, 231/235@50thou, 435thou lift.

35/75 is a little too long for me, and 26/65, not quite enough Wink

if i was to choose a cam again, i'd go for more lift (450-460) and decrease overlap. but still keep long exhaust duration.

but thats me...

EFI will make it nicer to run more duration.
kebluey
Regular

January 2005
icon4.gif  Re: Ultimate K motor? Mon, 23 May 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys i know its not the right place for this but, I was wondering if anyone would like to buy a KE20?, with a warm 3k, It's ready for a respray too. the guy is mental and is selling it for $350, so if anyone is interested... lemme know.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Ultimate K motor? Mon, 23 May 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"609 is 275/285adv"
So you reckon thats the way to go? Now to track down one, where do you reckon?
Thanks
Troy
frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Re: Ultimate K motor? Mon, 23 May 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im a crossover from the rotary world, so i dont have a clue how to buy a cam!
do i just ring up repco or the like and say "i want a 609 cam for my toyota 4k engine"?
sorry, thats a stupid question, but im serious, i dont know where to start with buying a cam!
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ultimate K motor? Mon, 23 May 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate K motor is here
http://www.billzilla.org/3kr.jpg

MMM TOMS 3KR

[Updated on: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:54]

frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Re: Ultimate K motor? Mon, 23 May 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HOLY.....get me one of those!!
im guessing thats a low volume race engine?
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ultimate K motor? Mon, 23 May 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah somthing like that
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Ultimate K motor? Mon, 23 May 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boofis wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 17:15

"609 is 275/285adv"
So you reckon thats the way to go? Now to track down one, where do you reckon?
Thanks
Troy

i think that is the limit for a streetable motor, i'm not recommending it.

you get it from Camtech (which is why it is a camtech 609 regrind....) whitepages.com.au
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Ultimate K motor? Mon, 23 May 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frontspinner wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 20:47

Im a crossover from the rotary world, so i dont have a clue how to buy a cam!
do i just ring up repco or the like and say "i want a 609 cam for my toyota 4k engine"?
sorry, thats a stupid question, but im serious, i dont know where to start with buying a cam!

nope, you go to a company that grinds cams..
camtech, waggot, crow etc etc..
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Ultimate K motor? Mon, 23 May 2005 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EMP-2TG wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 20:54

Ultimate K motor is here
http://www.billzilla.org/3kr.jpg

MMM TOMS 3KR

Mmmmm slide thottle bodies. Makes me think its mechanical injection. Also the extractors and sweetly made
arkon
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: Ultimate K motor? Sat, 24 September 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know you guys have been over this 1000000000000000000000 times but on a budget of $500 wat can u do to a 3k to make sure it doesnt scream when you hit 110 kmph on the highway , i want to do a engine conversion later but thats in bout 1 yr so for the time being i want a couple more ponies to make sure i can at least hit 110kmph without to much stress on the little 1166cc putter Sad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Ultimate K motor? Sat, 24 September 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
change air filter housing, maybe change exhaust.

or change diff ratio Wink that will lower the rpm.
arkon
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: Ultimate K motor? Sat, 24 September 2005 07:04 Go to previous message
well its got the 3k 4 spd man should i convert it to five or grab another diff / gearbox off another k motor if it bolts up
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KE70 diffs???
Next Topic:arrrgh. Need 4AGE Vacuum Diagram
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 18:11:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005511999130249 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.