Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Silvertop and Blacktop differences Sat, 30 April 2005 02:22 Go to next message
This is intended to clarify the differences between the two versions of the 20V 4A-GE engine. The earlier silvertop was fitted to the AE101 Corolla, and the later blacktop to the AE111. Both engines use one throttle body and five valves per cylinder.

AE101/Silvertop (~165hp)

* D-jetronic based ECU (flapper type AFM)
* 10.5:1 compression

AE111/blacktop (~170hp)

* L-jetronic based ECU (MAP sensor)
* 11:1 compression
* Increased lift in intake camshaft
* Different pistons
* Revised intake ports
* Revised variable valve timing
* Timing belt tensioner change
* Different throttle body to head insulator
  Send a private message to this user    
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Sun, 01 May 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this should be added to the FAQ section,

anyway from what i heard in the blacktop they also had slighly larger exhaust ports, a smaller squish area in the combustion chamber, larger cutouts in the head for clearences next to the cam bucket to allow for a higher cam lobe and also of note is apparently the bolt spacing for the trumpets is curiously different by a few mm. Anything I missed or have wrong?
kewp
Regular

March 2004
Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Sun, 01 May 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesn't the blacktop have larger diameter throttles?
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Sun, 01 May 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definately the black top has larger throttles. it also has lighter rods and a revised (lighter) engine block.
El_MaNgA
Newcomer

July 2004
Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Sun, 22 May 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE101 4A-GE-20 (silvertop):
Intake lift: 7.97mm
Exhaust lift: 7.60mm

AE111 4A-GE-20 (blacktop)
Intake lift: 8.20mm
Exhaust lift: 7.60mm

After seeing this information.......

Can I use the Camshaft 20v Blacktop(Intake lift: 8.20mm)in my 20v Silver(Intake lift: 7.97mm)?

Can I use only the Intake 20v Blacktop in my 20v Silver?

That benefits can obtain?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Sun, 22 May 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think its odd that there were so many differences and only a sopposed 3Kw gain, it is true though that a blacktop has more low down power? how does it really feel different to drive? anyone?

also doesnt a blacktop have 11:1 compression compared to the silvers 10.5:1?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Sun, 22 May 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.users.bigpond.com/vidore/toyota_4age_en gine.htm
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Sun, 22 May 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From wat ive been told, the 11:1 ratio of the b/t makes it better for higher reving. so, im assuming that its got more lift at higher revs.
aswell i do beleive its got more torque, which would give it better 'go' at lower revs.

im not sure if this is 100% but this is wat ive been told, any corrections would help me to.

tah,
jason
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Mon, 23 May 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the road, the blacktop and silvertop dont feel much different at all.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Mon, 23 May 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Can I use the Camshaft 20v Blacktop(Intake lift: 8.20mm)in my 20v Silver(Intake lift: 7.97mm)?

Can I use only the Intake 20v Blacktop in my 20v Silver?

That benefits can obtain?

Yes, this is what I have done... Benefits? well we'll just have to wait and see when it's in the car, but it's going to be a hard measure to compare with doing it to a standard S/T or even a B/T cause of headwork and a higher comp.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Mon, 23 May 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a note if anyone considering doin a swap

i have wired two 20v black tops at same workshop

one had a std engine and 6 speed gbox

the other car had a toms modified ecu not sure exactly what and with a 5 speed maybe from std silvetop

the mechanics said the std blacktop with 6 speed felt much better

so im guessing that the blacktops must like the 6 speeds much better than 5 speeds

they are just like a motorbike engine they love to rev so the main way to get them goin good is to have good ratios

this way they feel better than a silver top

so anyone considering this swap try get a 6 speed with it

[Updated on: Mon, 23 May 2005 11:09]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Mon, 23 May 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Sat, 30 April 2005 12:22

Both engines use one throttle body

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Mon, 23 May 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Sat, 30 April 2005 12:22

Both engines use one throttle body and five valves per cylinder.

read it properly, 'per cylinder'. Wink
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Mon, 23 May 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats not real english, well i guess it is, just a messy way of saying it.
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Mon, 23 May 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a blacktop and allot of the power comes after 4500 revs until 8000. I had a go with the 5.0 V8 SS and it was pretty steady
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Mon, 23 May 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20VBTSECA wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 22:31

I have a blacktop and allot of the power comes after 4500 revs until 8000. I had a go with the 5.0 V8 SS and it was pretty steady

Shocked
i was bout to buy a s/t n do a turbo conversion, but i figured ill go n/a on my corolla and when i had the $$ get a ta22 n go forced.
anyway, im thinking a b/t for my rolla now. so the question would be, wat car u got that in, and wat u dun to it?! to keep up wif a ss is a good fcuken effort. id be happy wif that kinda power.. lol
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Mon, 23 May 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keep in mind the blacktop in AE92 is good for a mid-high 15sec quarter... They're not a drag car.
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Tue, 24 May 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you plan on turbo later on down the track get either the Silvertop or the 4agze as you will need to replace those lightweight rods and pistons with something a bit stronger.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Tue, 24 May 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are the chances of getting this nice 6 speed into an AW11 mr2?
has it been done?
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Silvertop and Blacktop differences Tue, 24 May 2005 06:12 Go to previous message
20VBTSECA wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 10:08

If you plan on turbo later on down the track get either the Silvertop or the 4agze as you will need to replace those lightweight rods and pistons with something a bit stronger.

yeh, i was looking at s/t for a turbo conversion, im not a fan of the ze but. the b/t i would wanna go n/a.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:just to clear up come 1G => RA queries
Next Topic:gz20 soarer wheel alignment
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 01:50:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01062798500061 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.